Men - #9 UConn v. Seton Hall Pirates @Elliot Ballpark (Fri. 5/5/23 @7:30p, Sat. 5/6/23 @4:05p & Sun. 5/7/23 @2:30p) Fri/Sat on UConn+. Sunday game on CW20 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Men #9 UConn v. Seton Hall Pirates @Elliot Ballpark (Fri. 5/5/23 @7:30p, Sat. 5/6/23 @4:05p & Sun. 5/7/23 @2:30p) Fri/Sat on UConn+. Sunday game on CW20

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ciminello is like the Dave Schultz of Seton hall. He's just going to keep plunking people...

Reaction Score
Bottom 8th, with 2 outs, 2 UConn hitters get hit by pitches, but it ends up being a scoreless inning. 15-6 UConn.

Wouldn't mind someone like Carrea pitching the 9th inning with a 9 run lead.

Freeberger takes the mound for the top of the 9th, that works for me. Tammaro takes over at 3B.

Reaction Score
Three more Huskies hit by pitches today. That's 63 on the season, compared to 41 oppo batters plunked.

Reaction Score
I believe those are the first two baserunners Freeberger has allowed in his five appearances.

Reaction Score
Top 9th, a 2 out double brings in 2 runs for Seton Hall. 15-8 UConn. After Freeberger gives up a walk, an RBI single makes it 15-9 UConn with 2 runners on base. Freeberger comes out of the game, Fogell takes the mound.

Reaction Score
Top 9th, Fogell gets a strikeout to end the game, UConn wins 15-9 and sweeps the series.
85FB2448-7005-431D-87FD-B74087622D5D.jpeg

Reaction Score
How good was UConn's relief pitching in this series, today's top of the ninth notwithstanding? Seton Hall scored just those three runs after the fourth inning in the three games.

Reaction Score
For most center fielders that isn't even a realistic play. Simmons is a great fielder and could have caught it, but I'd say it was scored correctly as a hit.
I've seen enough defensive brilliance from Simmons to give him a pass on that one.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Lots of teams in front of us lost their series. I doubt we jump LSU, but I wonder if we slip above teams like Florida, etc.

Reaction Score
Penders considers Seton Hall to be a rival. Interesting.
He made it a point to mention that UConn now holds a 47-46 all time advantage after the Hall owned UConn for a while. I think the fact that Coach Penders and Coach Shepard played against each other and now coach their alma maters adds a bit to the match-ups. I think it’s good for the league when Seton Hall (and St John) are having good years.

Reaction Score
He made it a point to mention that UConn now holds a 47-46 all time advantage after the Hall owned UConn for a while. I think the fact that Coach Penders and Coach Shepard played against each other and now coach their alma maters adds a bit to the match-ups. I think it’s good for the league when Seton Hall (and St John) are having good years.
He was commenting in the context of how SH had our number for so many years and a lot of baseball alums appreciate how the tide has turned. JP has perspective, respects history and the opponent. It is appreciated.

Reaction Score
He was commenting in the context of how SH had our number for so many years and a lot of baseball alums appreciate how the tide has turned. JP has perspective, respects history and the opponent. It is appreciated.

Chris Jones during the game broadcast on Friday was talking about the general quality of Seton Hall baseball over the years. From 1970 through 1987, the Pirates made the NCAA Tournament 11 times. Not a bad record there at all.

During the Penders years coaching at UConn, Seton Hall has only made the NCAA Tournament once, in 2011. Still, from 2011 through the present, they have generally had pretty decent Big East teams. From 2011 until now, Seton Hall participated in every Big East Tournament during those years except for last year (suspect they won't make it this season either). In recent years, only the top 4 teams in the Big East standings have made the Big East Tournament, so that is not a bad track record.

From time to time over the last couple of years Chris Jones has talked about the quality of Big East baseball, and has mentioned the Big East would be a better conference if Seton Hall and St. John's were to return to their past quality in baseball, especially since in recent years that Georgetown has shown improvement.

Reaction Score

BIG EAST Player of the Week
David Smith, UConn, IN/OF, R-Jr. (Collegeville, Pa.)
In a perfect weekend for the Huskies, David Smith led the Huskies’ offensive attack on the way to a series sweep over Seton Hall and clinching a spot in the 2023 BIG EAST Baseball Championship Presented by Jeep starting on May 24. In a trio of games, the redshirt junior scored six runs, batted in three, while also walking twice and collecting three doubles. In the final two games on Saturday and Sunday, Smith batted 5-for-9 with two walks, five runs and three RBI.

BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll
Garrett Coe, UConn, Jr., LHP (Lakeside, Conn.)
In 5.1 innings of work, Coe fueled a comeback win over Seton Hall on Friday pitching 5.1 scoreless innings, allowing just one hit and striking out seven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom