8 Final Fours and "The Jersey" | The Boneyard

8 Final Fours and "The Jersey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No, not the "UConn" name and the mystique that causes some teams to believe they will lose before the game has even started. I'm talking about a specific jersey, namely the one with the number "23" on it. Our 8 consecutive Final Fours exactly coincide with the Maya Moore era and the Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis era. Yes, we have had Renee, Tina, Tiffany, Kelly, Stef, Bria, Stewie, Moriah, et al., but #23 has scored over 5,000 career points and made over 700 three-pointers in the past 8 years. Maya and Kaleena are two of the greatest post-season players ever. And two of the greatest players, period.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
We also have had Stef Dolson and Tina Charles wear the #31, and they accounted for seven of those eight FF appearances.

Indeed, Kaleena put a ton of weight on those broad shoulders of hers. She was the high school #1 set to become the first high school #1 since Maya to go to UConn...and the first thing she asked for was the number 23. Whether it was Maya or Michael Jordan (or both), KML was suitably inspired. And she delivered comprehensively. Certainly, 395 (and counting) three-pointers can't be wrong.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
with the Jersey reference, I thought you were talkin' Snooki.

Reaction Score
I would hate to have that burden on my shoulders.
That is exactly why, though, players WANT to come to UConn.
They know it won't be easy.
They know that there is a tremendous history here.
They know that there will be tremendous pressure here.
and when they DO get here..they thrive on it...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe Mo'ne has her eyes on it. :)

I thought that Megan Walker wore 23, but it seems that she wears 32.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We also have had Stef Dolson and Tina Charles wear the #31, and they accounted for seven of those eight FF appearances.

Indeed, Kaleena put a ton of weight on those broad shoulders of hers. She was the high school #1 set to become the first high school #1 since Maya to go to UConn...and the first thing she asked for was the number 23. Whether it was Maya or Michael Jordan (or both), KML was suitably inspired. And she delivered comprehensively. Certainly, 395 (and counting) three-pointers can't be wrong.
Both Stef and Kaleena chose to wear the same number as the player who was the NPOY the prior season--and whose name and number is on the wall at Gampel. For Stef, who was ranked somewhere between 10 and 30 in high school, it seemed particularly audacious. Kaleena came is as the number 1 recruit, but she replaced a player who was a 4-time consensus AA and 3-time Wade Trophy winner.

I hope we win--of course--and that Maya is in Tampa. I want a picture of the two #23 greats.

For those who forgot, during the pre-season of K's freshman year, Geno dubbed her "Baby Jesus." She will finish her UConn career just after Easter and, with her heavenly jumpshot, will ascend the NCAA record books.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
For those who forgot, during the pre-season of K's freshman year, Geno dubbed her "Baby Jesus." She will finish her UConn career just after Easter and, with her heavenly jumpshot, will ascend the NCAA record books.

Seems like something Icebear would write!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom