7,000 sq ft sports bar coming to Storrs Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
m7ibq.jpg

Wow this took FOREVER. Still great news.

Reaction Score
Will the floors have drains so you can wash away the puke at the end of the night?

Reaction Score
How many times does this place get busted for under age drinking in its first 24 months of operation?

And how would this place stay open during the summer and be even remotely profitable? There is not enough people in the area to keep it even half full.

I hope it works as the area can use one, but that is a very large sports bar/restaurant that is supported by a population with limited disposable income (students).

Reaction Score
How many times does this place get busted for under age drinking in its first 24 months of operation?

And how would this place stay open during the summer and be even remotely profitable? There is not enough people in the area to keep it even half full.

I hope it works as the area can use one, but that is a very large sports bar/restaurant that is supported by a population with limited disposable income (students).

Sweet, sweet, Nickel Night.

Reaction Score

I think we found the guy who was against adding weekend meals in 1989.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is great news. Summer will be an issue perhaps, but I understand that the general area, including Tolland, has seen substantial population growth. Driving 20-30 minutes for a major sports bar is nothing. I'd need to do that to get to one even here in the Boston suburbs. I'm sure they have a plan.

Reaction Score
Well, no matter who or what it is... better than 75% chance someone here will piss and moan what a bad choice it was...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
7000 square feet is a roughly 66' x 105' facility. That is AAC size.
My understanding is that the design incorporates footings to allow for another 1000 square feet expansion if we join a P5 conference. Additionally the spacing of the seats is pretty generous. We could probably squeeze more people in just by reducing the space between tables.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that the design incorporates footings to allow for another 1000 square feet expansion if we join a P5 conference. Additionally the spacing of the seats is pretty generous. We could probably squeeze more people in just by reducing the space between tables.

Strobe light installation is contingent upon getting a P5 invite.

Reaction Score
What about the ceiling? How long can we expect until it starts to peel? And how impossible will it be to fix?

Reaction Score
Wish this was there a few years ago when I was a student. It's nice that they're getting more night life but it seems like students can barely support the trio of bars that are there already. They're going to need to attract a lot of locals to stay open.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Not a lot of competition out there - no brainer.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I think we found the guy who was against adding weekend meals in 1989.
Damn I wish I had wknd meals back then. But I would have made the Mac n Cheese boy look like a Mormon on his bicycle. probably best they waited 'til what, '89?

Reaction Score
Wish this was there a few years ago when I was a student. It's nice that they're getting more night life but it seems like students can barely support the trio of bars that are there already. They're going to need to attract a lot of locals to stay open.
If by "locals" you mean out-of-college folks, lol okay good luck with that.

One big issue is the amount of upper classmen i.e. those who are actually 21 that move off-campus their junior year. Those who are left are mostly in on-campus apartments. Charter Oak is in the middle of the woods. Hilltop is in the very back of campus nearly in the woods.

But many do end up in Mansfield Apartments or South, which are both easily within walking distance to the bar. The bar will be relying on those two populations (and those who can afford the new apartments in the Center) a lot.

Or, being as big a place as it will be, they may go the Huskies route and take 18+ and just mark the underage kids' hands (if it's like a BWW, they won't need to worry about it; just card people as they approach the bar). I think the size will help encourage kids to go. I remember not wanting to bother with Ted's and Huskies a lot because I knew I'd be packed way in and would be waiting forever to get a drink or anything. Knowing you'll be at least somewhat comfortable makes the walk much more worth it. A very large portion of the campus population from Towers, East, Shippee, Busby, South, Alumni, West, McMahon, and Mansfield are a quick walk or bus ride away.

Reaction Score

One big issue is the amount of upper classmen i.e. those who are actually 21 that move off-campus their junior year. Those who are left are mostly in on-campus apartments. Charter Oak is in the middle of the woods. Hilltop is in the very back of campus nearly in the woods

Being off campus or on the outskirts of campus doesn't even matter anymore. There's the bus and uber/sober drivers are so cheap and plentiful that you can get a ride relatively easy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

One big issue is the amount of upper classmen i.e. those who are actually 21 that move off-campus their junior year. Those who are left are mostly in on-campus apartments. Charter Oak is in the middle of the woods. Hilltop is in the very back of campus nearly in the woods.

But many do end up in Mansfield Apartments or South, which are both easily within walking distance to the bar. The bar will be relying on those two populations (and those who can afford the new apartments in the Center) a lot.

Or, being as big a place as it will be, they may go the Huskies route and take 18+ and just mark the underage kids' hands (if it's like a BWW, they won't need to worry about it; just card people as they approach the bar). I think the size will help encourage kids to go. I remember not wanting to bother with Ted's and Huskies a lot because I knew I'd be packed way in and would be waiting forever to get a drink or anything. Knowing you'll be at least somewhat comfortable makes the walk much more worth it. A very large portion of the campus population from Towers, East, Shippee, Busby, South, Alumni, West, McMahon, and Mansfield are a quick walk or bus ride away.

I was simply assuming that it would be a restaurant open to all ages, like a BWW. There's no way it could operate as a 21+ bar and get the people it needs. It will probably be awesome on road game days.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Will this new bar have a window in the back of the dance floor that you can take a piss out of when its too crowded to get to a bathroom?
(my roommate did this at the Upper Deck back in the day)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom