6'5", 6'4" & 6'3" | The Boneyard

6'5", 6'4" & 6'3"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In 2015 the UConn Huskies could possibly have a very tall front court. Natalie Butler, Breanna Stewart and Katie Lou Samuelson will most likely comprise the tallest front line across the board. There will be teams with taller players, but how many will have that type of height at all three of the front court positions? With MoJeff at the point and a choice of four other guards at the 2, their offensive potential may be their greatest ever.

Reaction Score
But I would think the starting line-up would include Tuck (6'2") instead of Samuelson, at least initially?
Speaking of Tuck, what is the latest on how her rehab is going?

Reaction Score
I'm not discounting Morgan; however, when someone suffers two ACL tears, the likelihood is that there's the chance for a third. We've seen it with Caroline and Shea. Sue Bird tore her ACL her freshman year, but she never tore it again. We all wish the best of health for Morgan; she certainly deserves the chance to be healthy and to start. There's always uncertainty when someone has that same injury a second time. We'll know more in a few months. Let's hope that all goes well for Morgan. We're going to need her this year.

Reaction Score
Wouldnt bet on KLS starting as a frosh.

Roster will also have Tuck, Chong, Ekmark, Edwards, Nurse, and Gabby. Seems more likely that 2 of those folks start over KLS.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm not discounting Morgan; however, when someone suffers two ACL tears, the likelihood is that there's the chance for a third. We've seen it with Caroline and Shea. Sue Bird tore her ACL her freshman year, but she never tore it again. We all wish the best of health for Morgan; she certainly deserves the chance to be healthy and to start. There's always uncertainty when someone has that same injury a second time. We'll know more in a few months. Let's hope that all goes well for Morgan. We're going to need her this year.

Morgan hasn't had two ACL tears. The problem the most recent surgery addressed was in her right knee. Her acl surgery back in high school was to her left knee which by all accounts is doing fine.

The most recent knee issues involved worn/missing cartilage which was causing recurring bone bruising in her right knee. That surgery inserted cartilage from another part of her leg into the area which is currently missing healthy cartilage. Our collective fingers are crossed that it works.

Reaction Score
That doesn't sound any better than an ACL tear. The cartilage was worn for a reason. It's like Tommy John surgery. How many pitchers have been as successful as before the surgery? We all hope it works. Have there been other incidents of athletes having a successful surgery following this injury? None of the players that were mentioned above are small forwards. Yes, I know Geno expects players to be more versatile than being a 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1. Katie Lou would give them an advantage in terms of height. She said she needs to get stronger. When that happens, she might be posting up players three or four inches shorter than she is. As much as Geno likes versatility, he hasn't used the three guard offense all that often.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That doesn't sound any better than an ACL tear. The cartilage was worn for a reason. It's like Tommy John surgery. How many pitchers have been as successful as before the surgery? We all hope it works. Have there been other incidents of athletes having a successful surgery following this injury? None of the players that were mentioned above are small forwards. Yes, I know Geno expects players to be more versatile than being a 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1. Katie Lou would give them an advantage in terms of height. She said she needs to get stronger. When that happens, she might be posting up players three or four inches shorter than she is. As much as Geno likes versatility, he hasn't used the three guard offense all that often.

You misstated the nature of Morgan's surgery; I simply corrected that. I said nothing about it being more or less serious than a second ACL surgery on the same (or a different) knee. It's different and we'll see how successful it is. The surgery was discussed extensively on the board after the announcement. We can only hope that it's as successful as Tommy John Surgery has been in extending the careers of MLB pitchers. I recall reading a stat last year that 1/3 of MLB pitchers in the 2013 season had TJ surgery in their careers.

Reaction Score

Not to completely go on a tangent here, but Tommy John surgery is pretty successful:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...john-surgery-almost-all-pitch-again-1.7621000

Furthermore, I trust Rosemary more than anyone else in women's basketball when it comes to rehabbing injuries. Let's not forget the recent breakthrough in ACL surgeries (focus on the anterolateral ligament) and the general evolution of our understanding of knee injuries. Ligament reconstruction has come a LONG way in just the past decade.

Reaction Score
. As much as Geno likes versatility, he hasn't used the three guard offense all that often.

Huh?
MoJeff, Bria, and KML are guards who played a lot together.
And Kelly Faris is a guard who played a bunch with 2 of those 3, if not all 3 of them.

Ekmark is 6'0". She can easily (and will) play the 3.

Reaction Score
BB's was the most successful, but has flown the coop.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Morgan.....redshirt?????????????????????????

Reaction Score
In 2015 the UConn Huskies could possibly have a very tall front court. Natalie Butler, Breanna Stewart and Katie Lou Samuelson will most likely comprise the tallest front line across the board. There will be teams with taller players, but how many will have that type of height at all three of the front court positions? With MoJeff at the point and a choice of four other guards at the 2, their offensive potential may be their greatest ever.
So what was the line up of Stef, Breanna, and Kiah this past year? 6'5", 6'4". 6'3"????

Reaction Score
I do not know who will start in KLS's first year. Geno could very well start the 3 bigs. I do see Morgan as a very important piece of the puzzle, if she is healthy, and is back to the form she showed earlier this year.
She was really awesome. Going inside, and going outside and popping the trey.

I think that Geno has an opportunity this year, and next year to really vary his lineup more than he has in recent years. No. We don't know how the freshies will do, but I have a feeling that at least a couple of them will impress Geno enough to get extended minutes.

If he has all of them playing lights out, you can believe that Geno will not get locked into 6 man rotation.
He can do anything he wants then. He can go small, press all over the court, just basically change the flow of the game, and keep the opponent guessing. I can't wait !

G

genosguy

I love Morgan. I just watched 3 games from her Frosh year--she was really good. Quiet, stoic, but good. 2 of the games were ND
Katie Lou S. if the current status holds true, KLS will be an amazing, almost phenom shooter. Does anyone believe that Geno will hold that talent on the bench more than 15 minutes a game??

G

genosguy

I do not know who will start in KLS's first year. Geno could very well start the 3 bigs. I do see Morgan as a very important piece of the puzzle, if she is healthy, and is back to the form she showed earlier this year.
She was really awesome. Going inside, and going outside and popping the trey.

I think that Geno has an opportunity this year, and next year to really vary his lineup more than he has in recent years. No. We don't know how the freshies will do, but I have a feeling that at least a couple of them will impress Geno enough to get extended minutes.

If he has all of them playing lights out, you can believe that Geno will not get locked into 6 man rotation.
He can do anything he wants then. He can go small, press all over the court, just basically change the flow of the game, and keep the opponent guessing. I can't wait !
Geno actually likes the 8 person rotation. 6 person rotation was by default--also Geno needs time to "trust" all but a few freshmen. I think Christine likes the 6 person rotation, then she does not need to be a bookkeeper with minutes played--ala Svet and company

G

genosguy

So what was the line up of Stef, Breanna, and Kiah this past year? 6'5", 6'4". 6'3"????[/QUOTE`
Butler has received a lot of kind words, and the BE thought highly of her--yet at Uconn she is unproven. I dont recall Kiah starting--maybe I missed one. I have felt that Kiah these past 2 years has been under appreciated. Maybe in he freshman year she was a lost soul on the court, i thought that change after that.

G

genosguy

Speaking of BB, any news on where she is going?
Hope BB isn't another KJ Johnson--played great, good guard, hit the 3's==didn't appear to fit with the team--went to Purdue and fell into a black hole.

G

genosguy

Morgan hasn't had two ACL tears. The problem the most recent surgery addressed was in her right knee. Her acl surgery back in high school was to her left knee which by all accounts is doing fine.

The most recent knee issues involved worn/missing cartilage which was causing recurring bone bruising in her right knee. That surgery inserted cartilage from another part of her leg into the area which is currently missing healthy cartilage. Our collective fingers are crossed that it works.
I hope this works---most arthritis in the knee is worn cartilage--replacing it will minimize total knee replacements

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What kind of stats would Kiah have had had if she had been in Butler's place last season? More, less or equal to Butler's? Was Butler's competition great than or less than what UCONN faced?

Reaction Score
Are we SURE that Stewart can't go pro after her junior year?

WNBA Rules Primer

Can female high school and college athletes leave school early and enter the WNBA Draft? Take care.
Renee, E. Palo Alto, CA

Brown: No, the WNBA has eligibility requirements for all prospects which require that any woman (regardless of nationality) may sign a WNBA player contract provided that she meets one of the following:

• Is at least 22 years old during the calendar year of the applicable season
  • Has completed her intercollegiate basketball eligibility
  • Has graduated from a four-year college or university
  • Or has played at least two seasons for another professional basketball league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom