6’4″ Versatile 2018 NY Frwd Danielle Cosgrove = Rising Star | Page 3 | The Boneyard

6’4″ Versatile 2018 NY Frwd Danielle Cosgrove = Rising Star

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cosgrove much like Breanna wants to play for UConn. I little birdie told me.

I hope the birdie is right. She looks like a talented player with a big upside.

Reaction Score
Most of us like Jeff. We poke fun at his plaid (Italian tablecloth) shirts and recruiting in large numbers. He's done a good job at Louisville. I hope the folks in Knoxville can't entice him to move.

There is a vocal minority(?) at UT that think that all they have to do is dangle an offer in front of Jeff and he would jump at it based on their history and fan support. Here at the Ville we think he's in for the long haul. He has one of, if not the best, AD's (Tom Jurich) who supports all the programs at U of L, they get to play all their games in the KFC YUM center which is an NBA class facility, the fan support here is great and growing each year (3rd highest this year at almost 10,000), is from Kentucky and has taken the program to all new levels. Money wouldn't be a consideration as he already makes $1 million plus with his incentives added in (and Jurich can match anyone's offer).

And if you think his plaid shirts are something, you should see his sweater that he wears at the games around Christmas.
B48BH0LIMAAr97R.jpg:large

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There is a vocal minority(?) at UT that think that all they have to do is dangle an offer in front of Jeff and he would jump at it based on their history and fan support. Here at the Ville we think he's in for the long haul. He has one of, if not the best, AD's (Tom Jurich) who supports all the programs at U of L, they get to play all their games in the KFC YUM center which is an NBA class facility, the fan support here is great and growing each year (3rd highest this year at almost 10,000), is from Kentucky and has taken the program to all new levels. Money wouldn't be a consideration as he already makes $1 million plus with his incentives added in (and Jurich can match anyone's offer).

And if you think his plaid shirts are something, you should see his sweater that he wears at the games around Christmas.
From what I read, Jeff is a family man. I don't think he's interested in a "bigger" job than he has, not that the Tennessee job is a bigger one at this point. Tom Collen did a good job at L'ville. Jeff has taken the program farther. Louisville is a more interesting city than Knoxville, and the Yum Center is second to none as arenas go. Louisville might have to bump his salary a little, but I don't see Jeff leaving either. It's interesting in that there are lots of good young coaches out there for Tenn to choose from. As long as they pick one of their own, they will have a coach who is very limited in teaching offense.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yup - luring Jeff from 'his program' is a crazy idea for any program. He has built Louisville to a top flight WCBB team, has more championship games in his tenure than any team not named Uconn, ND, Stanford, or TN and is tied with TN, MD, Baylor, and LSU for FF appearance - a spectacular record of achievement. And it is his program - he has no competition from previous coaches in terms of the success he has achieved.

I love what he is doing to try and get more fans to the game Friday, and I liked the 'free drink' promotion he ran years ago. I think he is a great game coach. The only thing I would say is I think he has to refine his recruiting a little now that he has 'arrived' at the top - climbing he had to be a little more scatter shot and take anyone he could get. He is now getting top recruits and would be better to adjust his sights more towards quality and chemistry.

Reaction Score
Yup - luring Jeff from 'his program' is a crazy idea for any program. He has built Louisville to a top flight WCBB team, has more championship games in his tenure than any team not named Uconn, ND, Stanford, or TN and is tied with TN, MD, Baylor, and LSU for FF appearance - a spectacular record of achievement. And it is his program - he has no competition from previous coaches in terms of the success he has achieved.

I love what he is doing to try and get more fans to the game Friday, and I liked the 'free drink' promotion he ran years ago. I think he is a great game coach. The only thing I would say is I think he has to refine his recruiting a little now that he has 'arrived' at the top - climbing he had to be a little more scatter shot and take anyone he could get. He is now getting top recruits and would be better to adjust his sights more towards quality and chemistry.
Agree with "be better to adjust his sights more towards quality and chemistry". However, one thing Walz has lacked is height up front. Next year, he'll be adding a couple of very good bigs (both 6'4"), and don't be surprised, if outside of UCONN, they are the team to beat in a couple of years. He's not going anywhere. Expect them to get to past Oregon St, and face Baylor in the Elite Eight.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I don't know. There are a lot of empty seats in this picture!

Reaction Score
Imagine what Walz could have done with Russell. I wonder if she regrets her decision to go to TN instead of L'ville...
You bring up a good point. While we don't know the motivation of recruits, how many of those that turned down the chance to part of the Husky tradition, look back with regrets? Its probably more than a couple. While they certainly enjoyed their college years, and their teammates, there's nothing like being part of a championship team. There aren't any do-overs. "Shoulda, woulda, coulda" only gets worse with time.

Reaction Score
ucbart - Nicole Kaczmarski played at Sachem North

Incredible talent for a female player (esp. back then ).
comfortably had lift off ground for jumpshots like a guy. made body control, acrobatic finishes like a guy. pullup jumpshots from every spot within 22 feet whenever she wanted

flat out SHAME a foot injury & personal turmoil derailed what could have been one of the great WBB careers.
beautiful girl & very sweet. great with kids

Saw the documentary on her career, and thought she was an incredible talent. She had been a teammate of Sue Bird, but transferred. Wasn't recruited by UConn, however. Wonder why....

Reaction Score
I don't know. There are a lot of empty seats in this picture!

Yeah, but around Christmas these are OOC games and the crowds are always bigger once conference games start. Plus the lower level of the YUM holds 11,000 so even with around 8,000 - 9,000 there are still some empty seats. We're still growing and I think the crowds will too.

BTW, this was in the paper this morning:

With his Louisville women's basketball team assigned a 2:30 p.m. Friday tip off time, Jeff Walz has this week taken on the roles of both coach and marketer. His pitch is an easy sell. Walz wants to get U of L fans out of the office early for the weekend, asking downtown businesses to let their employees take a half-day and attend the Cardinals' first-round NCAA tournament game at the KFC Yum! Center. And if they don't? One fan reached out to Walz on Twitter, saying, "Write me up a good excuse to leave work. I know I need to be there. The boss is the issue." Walz's response: Send me his or her email address. The coach followed through, as that fan later posted a photo of Walz's letter to "Rick" at Bluegrass Cellular. "One of our most loyal fans ... is one of your employees and is scheduled to work on Friday," the note reads. "I know you have a business to run but would it be possible for her to go out of office and promote Bluegrass Cellular at the Yum! Center Friday afternoon? "Hope you will consider and have a great day!" Walz hopes for a full lower bowl of about 10,000 fans at the KFC Yum! Center when third-seeded U of L meets No. 14 Central Arkansas, the Southland Conference champion. "Whoever sends me a note on Twitter or on Facebook – if they give me their boss' email – I'm writing them a note asking if they can make the ballgame," he said.
Gotta love that.

Reaction Score
Imagine what Walz could have done with Russell. I wonder if she regrets her decision to go to TN instead of L'ville...

You know we used to think the same thing. Anymore I'm not sure. Was she overrated? Has she been under coached? I don't know. We probably never will.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but around Christmas these are OOC games and the crowds are always bigger once conference games start. Plus the lower level of the YUM holds 11,000 so even with around 8,000 - 9,000 there are still some empty seats. We're still growing and I think the crowds will too.

BTW, this was in the paper this morning:

With his Louisville women's basketball team assigned a 2:30 p.m. Friday tip off time, Jeff Walz has this week taken on the roles of both coach and marketer. His pitch is an easy sell. Walz wants to get U of L fans out of the office early for the weekend, asking downtown businesses to let their employees take a half-day and attend the Cardinals' first-round NCAA tournament game at the KFC Yum! Center. And if they don't? One fan reached out to Walz on Twitter, saying, "Write me up a good excuse to leave work. I know I need to be there. The boss is the issue." Walz's response: Send me his or her email address. The coach followed through, as that fan later posted a photo of Walz's letter to "Rick" at Bluegrass Cellular. "One of our most loyal fans ... is one of your employees and is scheduled to work on Friday," the note reads. "I know you have a business to run but would it be possible for her to go out of office and promote Bluegrass Cellular at the Yum! Center Friday afternoon? "Hope you will consider and have a great day!" Walz hopes for a full lower bowl of about 10,000 fans at the KFC Yum! Center when third-seeded U of L meets No. 14 Central Arkansas, the Southland Conference champion. "Whoever sends me a note on Twitter or on Facebook – if they give me their boss' email – I'm writing them a note asking if they can make the ballgame," he said.
Gotta love that.
So, are you saying Jeff Walz is the Jim Harbaugh of WCBB?

Reaction Score
The one part of the story I probably shouldn't have left out is that this particular basketball playing daughter (I have two) is physically challenged and was in a wheelchair when she met the coach.he really seems like a very nice guy
Yes, you did leave out a an important part of the story. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score
I also see she's got a little handle and pretty good footwork down low and on the block. She also finds her positions well before the shot and has a nice variety of shots. Okay, me likey. 6'4", stretches beyond the arc, nice feet, nice athleticism. She also has the body type to put on upper and lower body strength. Me likey more. 2018 huh?

To her he'd sing
If you like-a me, like I like-a you and we like-a both the same
I like-a say this very day, I like-a change your name.
'Cause I love-a you and lov-a you true and if you-a love-a me
One live as two, two live as one
Under the bamboo tree

I

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
To her he'd sing
If you like-a me, like I like-a you and we like-a both the same
I like-a say this very day, I like-a change your name.
'Cause I love-a you and lov-a you true and if you-a love-a me
One live as two, two live as one
Under the bamboo tree

I
Me likey your two too.

Reaction Score
More like Steph 2.0 IMO. I really like the way she wants/ask for the rock! Beast potential for sure!
My read, too, but actually more advanced at this stage than Stef, offensively. Loves to move around in the paint and accept body contact. What we don't see--because of the competition and their own game plan--is how well she defends (she seems just a tad slow in reflexes or perhaps decision making) and how well she passes: that's what really made Stef so valuable (though we're comparing her to a Stef that was several years older and with a couple of UConn coaching years behind her). Stef also has the world's biggest heart and that's really her greatest asset. She's kind of the Bill Russell of the women's game. But yes, very, very impressive at this stage.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
just saw another video on Cosgrove, she looks like Stewart 2.0

More like Steph 2.0 IMO. I really like the way she wants/ask for the rock! Beast potential for sure!

Let's pump the brakes just a little on any comparisons of Danielle Cosgrove to Big Mama or Stewie.
In those videos did anyone see Danielle playing against anyone close to her size/skill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom