4th Quarter scoring | Page 2 | The Boneyard

4th Quarter scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
The commentators noted that Geno was not sure if it was better to play SC at a slow pace or a fast one. The game was played at a pretty fast pace for the first three quarters and that worked well. Maybe Geno wanted to see if they could be as successful at a slower pace. A little prep work for the tournament rematch that he could afford since we were up by 21.

Reaction Score
Uconn easily could of won by 30. They played a well executed game specially on defense. South Carolina has no rhythm on offense. I think Tiffany Mitchell is overrated. Aja Wilson don't know how good she could be yet and everyone else on that team will be just ok playing in the AAC. But also it's the coaching and Dicapline of Uconn that separate them from every other team. Next year will be different without Stewie and Mo but I still seeing them being a very good Uconn team

Reaction Score
While watching the game I at first was surprised to see something I'd never quite seen Geno do in a 1 vs 1 game: Put his foot on the break with his starters. After short consideration I agreed that sparing his starters was almost as good as using his bench. I think that 21 point lead was more indicative of the game which wasn't as close as the score indicated. Am I wrong? Has Geno done that before while his starters are still on the floor?

Maybe 01-02 in title game vs Oklahoma. Oklahoma had Stacey Daley as a pf and they were a very good running team.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Because the faster you play the faster your lead can evaporate if you don't get the calls. Why invite yet another bad charge, traveling or push off call being aggressive if you don't need to? They have control of the game so slow the tempo down so the other team can't score fast if somebody gets hot. If they can't score fast they're not going to catch you. It's sound basketball stategy. I don't understand this obsession about jacking up the score when you don't need to.
Because, if you get used to that theory, and the score gets closer and closer, you could lose a game such as in the Final Four(especially if you go cold and the other team gets hot). I agree with your theory, years ago,when there was no shot clock, but it is a different game today.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Maybe 01-02 in title game vs Oklahoma. Oklahoma had Stacey Daley as a pf and they were a very good running team.
Thanks, because I sure couldn't think of one. Again, with their foot on the pedal this game would've been the 23 point victory I predicted. When the lead hit single digits I started screaming at the screen.

Reaction Score
Because the faster you play the faster your lead can evaporate if you don't get the calls. Why invite yet another bad charge, traveling or push off call being aggressive if you don't need to? They have control of the game so slow the tempo down so the other team can't score fast if somebody gets hot. If they can't score fast they're not going to catch you. It's sound basketball stategy. I don't understand this obsession about jacking up the score when you don't need to.

I agree. I saw all the posts earlier today - didn't have chance to respond- and was very surprised by the criticism. The idea is to win. And the game was never in doubt once Wilson went down.

Reaction Score
Because, if you get used to that theory, and the score gets closer and closer, you could lose a game such as in the Final Four(especially if you go cold and the other team gets hot). I agree with your theory, years ago,when there was no shot clock, but it is a different game today.

How was it different last night? When did you know we were going to lose? When they cut it to 15 with 1 minute left?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Did Geno call off the dogs during fourth quarters of both the Notre Dame game and this game in respect to MM and DS?
Far different. They clearly were shortening the game by milking the clock. Who cares if we win by 30 or by 12. USC knows they were a beaten team.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Hey, it's not MY theory, it's what happened. And just to be clear they didn't stop running their stuff they just slowed it down. Perhaps you and the other's questioning this could call in to the Geno show and have him explain it to you. I'm sure he would be glad to.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Hey, it's not MY theory, it's what happened. And just to be clear they didn't stop running their stuff they just slowed it down. Perhaps you and the other's questioning this could call in to the Geno show and have him explain it to you. I'm sure he would be glad to.
Geno has a show?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One of the goals of game management is to get a large enough lead that you can play "prevent defense" at the end and still win comfortably. Exactly what Geno did. This also gives South Carolina and their fans false hope: "If only we could play the whole game like we did in the 4th quarter ...." Not really. Like the graphic on the cover of Mario Puzo's book, the Godfather was pulling the strings.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
How was it different last night? When did you know we were going to lose? When they cut it to 15 with 1 minute left?
I said:............"IF."

Reaction Score
Far different. They clearly were shortening the game by milking the clock. Who cares if we win by 30 or by 12. USC knows they were a beaten team.
Who cares? Vegas? Everyone that took SC and 13.5, and probably the under.

Reaction Score
I was kind of thinking that but only he truly knows the answer to that.

I'm thinking Geno is playing to win, and when a win is inevitable he tries to give some of the younger kids more experience (only Collier this game) and he doesn't want to show everything in his arsenal. Let all the other teams prep for what he has shown so far, all the while he is developing some new strategies and plays.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Who cares? Vegas? Everyone that took SC and 13.5, and probably the under.

Sports bettors deserve their losses. As a fan, win by one is a win. The thing I know about sports betting, the key player goes down early, nobody gives you your money back. At least in poker you can control your losses. Go Huskies.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
2001, Final Four: Uconn vs. Notre Dame....."In the first half,Uconn led by 16 points.In the 2nd half, Uconn went into a scoring drought, without a point for 5 minutes. Notre Dame went on to win: 90-75. This was the largest deficit overcome in a final four game....a 31 point difference from the Uconn lead to the final score.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
2001, Final Four: Uconn vs. Notre Dame....."In the first half,Uconn led by 16 points.In the 2nd half, Uconn went into a scoring drought, without a point for 5 minutes. Notre Dame went on to win: 90-75. This was the largest deficit overcome in a final four game....a 31 point difference from the Uconn lead to the final score.

That's about as different a situation as you could possibly come up with. The ND collapse started when the second half did, not in the 4th quarter and not because we were slowing down the tempo of our offense. We lost Shea & Svet (Our upperclass leaders) just a handful of games before.
Diana was a Freshman and she had such a struggle in that game but she kept trying and they didn't fall. The team was emotionally drained from trying to overcome the loss of their Seniors. I remember how devastated Diana was at the end of that game. The leadership dynamic was completely different for that game last night.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
More thoughts to add to above post:
That was also the year of "Bird at the buzzer" in the BE Championship game. Svet was already lost but Shea went down in that game. It was all we could do to win that game at Gampel so beating ND at a neutral site was going to be a challenge. Especially with what we lost at the end of the year. Read the Jeff Goldberg book that came out in 2011 for some in depth insights into the ups and downs of that season. Fascinating material.

Reaction Score
I said:.."IF."

IF????????????????? Why is IF relevant?? Why are you complaining IF it didn't happen? What's the point of your gripe? UCONN won by double digits and it never reached single hen they slowed the game down.

Reaction Score

Huh?? How does your response answer the following questions in italics? You realize UCONN won, right? You realize USC never got within single digits, right?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It was deliberate. He gave the run clock hand gesture over and over again starting just under the 7 minute mark of the 4th quarter.
thats not the "run the clock" signal... thats the motion offense signal, screen pass cut, backdoor, move til we confuse them (from the times Ive seen that hand gesture)

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Huh?? How does your response answer the following questions in italics? You realize UCONN won, right? You realize USC never got within single digits, right?

hoophuskie: Don't get frustrated trying to make your argument with somebody who won't be satisfied in anything but a massive blowout. Some people are taking the "Spoiled UCONN fan" label to new levels. It's not enough that we win these tough games anymore we need to win them by 30 or more and win every quarter or it's viewed as a failure or as something that doesn't cultivate our roster in preparation for the future. Maybe we'll have to play The Golden State Warriors at some point and we won't be ready :p

Reaction Score
The only reason I wanted Geno to keep his players with their foot on the gas the whole game is if they truly destroyed SoCar by the 30 to 35+ points it seemed like it was going to do, you break the spirit of SoCar so IF they were to play again in the FF, SoCar KNOWS they have NO CHANCE to beat UCONN! By letting them come back to a 12 point deficit and SoCar outscoring UCONN in the 4th period, "Hey we have a chance if we play the whole game like the 4th period!"
You want to make sure the opponent knows that you are the superior team in ALL facets of the game! They have no hope!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The only reason I wanted Geno to keep his players with their foot on the gas the whole game is if they truly destroyed SoCar by the 30 to 35+ points it seemed like it was going to do, you break the spirit of SoCar so IF they were to play again in the FF, SoCar KNOWS they have NO CHANCE to beat UCONN! By letting them come back to a 12 point deficit and SoCar outscoring UCONN in the 4th period, "Hey we have a chance if we play the whole game like the 4th period!"
You want to make sure the opponent knows that you are the superior team in ALL facets of the game! They have no hope!

Aside from the fact that "breaking the spirit" by running up the score is an absurd notion, can you imagine if they had a 25 point lead in the last two minutes and Geno leaves his starters in to try to make it 30 and one of them gets hurt? People would be lining up around the block to vilify him for that and I'm sure you would be leading the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom