30 for 30: Doc and Darryl | The Boneyard

30 for 30: Doc and Darryl

Reaction Score
Finally got around to watching this one last night. I started following the Mets in 1979/80 and the Doc/Darryl years were right in my late teen's and early 20's. I have read and watched just about everything there is on these 2, as well as that 1986 team.

That being said, I didn't think there was much new in this one. There was some footage of them as kids. Some behind the scenes stuff from the '86 heydays that I hadn't seen. But, all in all, it was pretty standard stuff.

2 points though....

1) Doc looked awful. Skinny, gaunt, super fidgety. I couldn't help shaking the thought that he's definitely still using something and still seems haunted by the demons. That was sad to see.

2) I forgot about the incident where Doc, Vince Coleman and Daryl Boston "supposedly" raped a girl. Basically, it was he said/she said in the end and there was not enough evidence to support a conviction, but it sure sounded like they did something she didn't want done.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I haven't seen it yet, but I started a little earlier with the Mets (pretty much born into in '66, and I vividly remember watching every game of the '73 World Series), so the 80s were a bit of a heyday for my Mets fandom. My older brother and sister were both texting me while it was airing because the Doc and Darryl years were such central years for our family.

I did watch the SNY special on Doc over the weekend ("The Good Doctor," or something like that) and was reminded of just how freaking crazy good he was those first couple years. I have to admit that being reminded of his 16 complete games in 1985 really put Jake's first one yesterday in perspective in terms of just how much the times have changed.

Also saw the Ron Darling interview with Nails. Different kind of drug story there--equally crazy.

It's a miracle that guys like Keith and Ron survived that '86 team.

Reaction Score
Sum it up Darryl looks in control of his destiny while Doc's demons are still in control of him.

Sad seeing Doc

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So happy Strawberry seems at peace these days. I've always thought he was a really good guy with some demons that used to get the better of him. My own little personal Straw story, when I was a teenager a friend of mine had a connection where we were able to get World Series tickets from Strawberry's wife at the time. Got to sit with the players families and watch the Yankees win game 1 of the '98 World Series.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom