30 Days rumor gaining steam | Page 4 | The Boneyard

30 Days rumor gaining steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You do realize the source of that rumor is HFD right? Nothing will happen WRT Uconn in that time period. No way Delany wants to overshadow the day RU and MD officially join the B1G.

Delany's recent Q & A said not to expect B1G expansion for 5-7 years..........

"Q: What would it take for the Big Ten to expand again? What would you need to gain in order to be interested in expanding again?

A: If you're thinking of building a conference and keeping tradition alive, building fan bases and natural rivalries, movement beyond where we are probably needs to be looked at in a very suspicious kind of way. You dilute yourself the larger you get. … I don't know what would have to happen. … I think everybody is just trying to take what's occurred, live it, make it solid and it's very hard in the environment we're in over the next five-to-seven years, to see more change."

Reaction Score
That conversation a while back about everything starting to happen in the so called musical chairs of college football realignment in the month of June is gaining steam. That WV guy says the B1G boys are saying to expect the MD lawsuit to end in 30 days and then a UConn source says B1G invite shortly after. I'm keeping those fingers and toes and whatever else I can cross in hoping this comes true...#BleedBlue #ThinkB1G
Delaney made his decision about UCONN while he was sitting at MSG and AT&T stadium. That's why Herbst, WM, and Connecticut politicians are keeping their mouths shut.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Delaney made his decision about UCONN while he was sitting at MSG and AT&T stadium. That's why Herbst, WM, and Connecticut politicians are keeping their mouths shut.
Well that and because silence worked so well when Louisville was lobbying to get into the ACC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

This is exactly the relationship I have with Jennifer Lawrence. She's in, we both know we just need to manage the message in the media.

Reaction Score
I had some downtime this afternoon so I headed over to your Scout Board to read some of HFD's Posts as this thread piqued my curiosity. Obviously he must be their WNEC Character as the descriptions of his posts from here match those on that site.

While mildly amusing, the more entertaining sighting was that of your old friend Okie Lite. All I can say is that you guys clearly broke him. He is over there ranting and raving, running down UCONN in every way imaginable, all the while accusing everyone else of attacking him. The best part is that he must foresee a ban in his near future, as he has already created a new alias "roadhunter." He accidentally responded to Sea Blue in a thread where a question was posed to Okie. Laffin!

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2873&t=12609154

Reaction Score
He accidentally responded to Sea Blue in a thread where a question was posed to Okie. Laffin!

I got a good laugh out of that one. It took me a minute to realize what had happened there with the name change.

Reaction Score
Delany's recent Q & A said not to expect B1G expansion for 5-7 years.....

"Q: What would it take for the Big Ten to expand again? What would you need to gain in order to be interested in expanding again?

A: If you're thinking of building a conference and keeping tradition alive, building fan bases and natural rivalries, movement beyond where we are probably needs to be looked at in a very suspicious kind of way. You dilute yourself the larger you get. … I don't know what would have to happen. … I think everybody is just trying to take what's occurred, live it, make it solid and it's very hard in the environment we're in over the next five-to-seven years, to see more change."

I know you're just the messenger, but it's worth pointing out that Delaney made extremely similar statements in the downtime before they took Maryland and Rutgers. Everything Delaney says is a targeted bullet point.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The B1G isn't expanding until 20 minutes before the press conference announcing they are expanding.

Same goes for the ACC. All the tea leaf reading is fun, but not indicative of some pending time line.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I know you're just the messenger, but it's worth pointing out that Delaney made extremely similar statements in the downtime before they took Maryland and Rutgers. Everything Delaney says is a targeted bullet point.

Before the ACC's grant of rights, Delaney characterized the Big Ten as being inactive but paying attention. After the grant of rights, he's all but declared expansion done for now. He doesn't have the parts to expand with - right now, there is only one school available that is unencumbered by a GOR and the Big Ten is simply not expanding with only UConn.

We're signing OOC games with Big Ten schools five and six years out. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
Before the ACC's grant of rights, Delaney characterized the Big Ten as being inactive but paying attention. After the grant of rights, he's all but declared expansion done for now. He doesn't have the parts to expand with - right now, there is only one school available that is unencumbered by a GOR and the Big Ten is simply not expanding with only UConn.

We're signing OOC games with Big Ten schools five and six years out. It is what it is.

Respectfully - nope. Not saying B1G but CR situation is far too dynamic and UConn has too much to offer to let sit on an island. Someone will blink. You think we are all dreamers, I know.

Reaction Score

That's just it, Delaney said that, but he also said a lot of other things too. He hasn't set on one position, ever. He constantly changes the Big Ten's 'stance' on expansion. Sometimes he indicates they're alert, sometimes he says they aren't looking to expand or happy where they are and sometimes he's said they never had a stopping point in mind. Picking out one Delaney comment and using it to represent the Big Ten's position is not prudent because frankly they've been all over the map.

I don't care what he says publicly, I promise the Big Ten isn't done. They've never been scared of the Grant of Rights because they know its real legal applicability. If they want someone badly enough and that someone is interested, they won't stop where they're at.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't care what he says publicly, I promise the Big Ten isn't done. They've never been scared of the Grant of Rights because they know its real legal applicability. If they want someone badly enough and that someone is interested, they won't stop where they're at.

I pray that you're right.

Reaction Score
I pray that you're right.

Personally, I believe the ACC exit fee is a much bigger obstacle than the grant of rights, in fact. The grant of rights, in theory, is going to have to be a two-way street to be enforceable. Schools could leave and still be compensated for their rights or else they could sue for breach. With the exit fee, the money will come right out of the pockets of the schools and if this Maryland suit goes south, it might be a bigger roadblock to a school deciding to leave than the GOR.

Either way, while the legal obstacles could slow down the Big Ten's plan, I don't think it will be the reason they don't expand entirely. If there are interested parties that are valuable, they'll go forward.

Reaction Score
I always enjoy watching the movie "The Hunt for Red October". The late actor Richard Jordan played the character Jeffrey Pelt, the National Security Advisor, in the movie and IMO had a memorable line: "Listen, I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops, but it also means that I keep my options open".

As I have read about and watched Jim Delany over the years, the praise and scorn he has received and his actions on behalf of the Big Ten conference are befitting that of a politician. If the opportunity arose to have a private conversation with him perhaps he too might confide in a similar fashion: "Listen, I'm a conference commissioner, which means I'm ambitious and cunning, and when I'm not supporting my colleagues, I'm stealing their schools, but it also means that I keep my options open".

20121120_jla_so3_026_0_standard_352_0.jpg

I do not think Big Ten expansion is imminent. Rutgers and Maryland need integrated into the conference. The Maryland ACC lawsuit is going to mediation. The O'Bannon NCAA lawsuit is heading to trial. Deregulation of the football championship game is under consideration. Autonomy for the P5 conferences is in progress. There is much about the college athletic landscape that needs settled.

However, I do not think Big Ten expansion is over. Jim Delany will keep his "options open" and as this landscape settles and the Big Ten goes to market with its media rights if opportunities are created for which further expansion of the Big Ten would be beneficial to the conference then he will purse expansion once again. As a flagship public research university with an upward trajectory in academics and research as well as proximity to NYC and sustained success on the basketball court, UConn is positioning itself well as a candidate for Big Ten membership and the vision of Delany for the Big Ten being a conference at home in the Midwest and the East.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I always enjoy watching the movie "The Hunt for Red October". The late actor Richard Jordan played the character Jeffrey Pelt, the National Security Advisor, in the movie and IMO had a memorable line: "Listen, I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops, but it also means that I keep my options open".

As I have read about and watched Jim Delany over the years, the praise and scorn he has received and his actions on behalf of the Big Ten conference are befitting that of a politician. If the opportunity arose to have a private conversation with him perhaps he too might confide in a similar fashion: "Listen, I'm a conference commissioner, which means I'm ambitious and cunning, and when I'm not supporting my colleagues, I'm stealing their schools, but it also means that I keep my options open".

View attachment 6095

I do not think Big Ten expansion is imminent. Rutgers and Maryland need integrated into the conference. The Maryland ACC lawsuit is going to mediation. The O'Bannon NCAA lawsuit is heading to trial. Deregulation of the football championship game is under consideration. Autonomy for the P5 conferences is in progress. There is much about the college athletic landscape that needs settled.

However, I do not think Big Ten expansion is over. Jim Delany will keep his "options open" and as this landscape settles and the Big Ten goes to market with its media rights if opportunities are created for which further expansion of the Big Ten would be beneficial to the conference then he will purse expansion once again. As a flagship public research university with an upward trajectory in academics and research as well as proximity to NYC and sustained success on the basketball court, UConn is positioning itself well as a candidate for Big Ten membership and the vision of Delany for the Big Ten being a conference at home in the Midwest and the East.

I agree with all that.

To be clear, I don't buy into the 30 days rumors. However, any time I've ever had a conversation with people in the industry that have been prone to knowing things, I've been told "mid to late 2015 and beyond, keep an eye out."

The league would like to have teams in place, or at least announced, by early 2016 when they go to begin negotiations on a new deal.

Because the landscape is so volatile with all the other things you mentioned (ACC exit fees, O'Bannon lawsuit, a third football subdivision, unionizing, etc.), the Big Ten might not be comfortable making another move that soon. However, it's been their target all along.

Reaction Score
This is exactly the relationship I have with Jennifer Lawrence. She's in, we both know we just need to manage the message in the media.
Just make sure she wears the right t-shirt at the press conference.....

111s0tc.jpg

Reaction Score
I agree with all that.

To be clear, I don't buy into the 30 days rumors. However, any time I've ever had a conversation with people in the industry that have been prone to knowing things, I've been told "mid to late 2015 and beyond, keep an eye out."

The league would like to have teams in place, or at least announced, by early 2016 when they go to begin negotiations on a new deal.

Because the landscape is so volatile with all the other things you mentioned (ACC exit fees, O'Bannon lawsuit, a third football subdivision, unionizing, etc.), the Big Ten might not be comfortable making another move that soon. However, it's been their target all along.
The Big 10 still needs 16 and without question, if they truly desire an east coast footprint, the Big10 needs UConn. Equally important, I don't feel the Big 10 can afford to lose UConn to another P5 conference and still achieve their desired goals. The longer this goes on, the more they face the risk of someone else blinking. They have too much invested to allow this to happen. I agree that UConn won't play Big 10 football until the 2016-17 season the earliest, but that doesn't mean an announcement and plans won't be made much sooner. In fact, to lock in UConn, I can see the Big 10 only announcing one addition now with the idea of a second/partner school would be announced down the road.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if someone would make UConn an invite now, even for 3 or 5 years down the road. At least we would know that we have a secured spot and take additional measures (ie expansion of the Rent in preparation for the move). That certainly would end a lot of hand wringing here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Big 10 still needs 16 and without question, if they truly desire an east coast footprint, the Big10 needs UConn. Equally important, I don't feel the Big 10 can afford to lose UConn to another P5 conference and still achieve their desired goals. The longer this goes on, the more they face the risk of someone else blinking. They have too much invested to allow this to happen. I agree that UConn won't play Big 10 football until the 2016-17 season the earliest, but that doesn't mean an announcement and plans won't be made much sooner. In fact, to lock in UConn, I can see the Big 10 only announcing one addition now with the idea of a second/partner school would be announced down the road.
For UConn to meet it's 27 month exit commitment prior to the new B1G TV contract it would need to give its notice by August. So an announcement no later than then does a few things.

1) It locks down added content for the B1g to pitch in its new TV contract negotiations.

2) It puts UConn on the clock regarding any admission requirements, e.g., expanding the Rent or building an on campus hockey stadium.

3) It allows the B1G to announce that they are adding the national champions in men's and women's basketball. That's a nice commitment to excellence narrative that doesn't get you in the door but still is a perk that I suspect would appeal to Delaney.

4) It takes UConn off the board for other conferences.

5) It allows the B1g to fully assimilate RU and MD before taking on a new member.

I don't think that it is a slam dunk that an announcement will happen but there is some logic to making an announcement now, assuming Delaney's interested.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I agree with the much of what you wrote, but ultimately UCONN's inclusion comes down to one thing. $$$ Can the Huskies bring more to the pot than they take from it? Personally I believe they can, but I'm not in B1G Headquarters crunching the numbers. Where I disagree is that I don't see the conference taking UCONN only and standing pat. While they did it for Penn State, this was before the era of divisions. I can't see them going to an unbalanced format at this point in time.

Right now UCONN appears to be in the middle of a Mexican Standoff. The B1G and ACC have their guns pointed at each other, but as long as everyone remains calm nothing happens. The outcome of the MD Lawsuit could be the motivation for someone to pull the trigger. Best case scenario UCONN and one of UVA/VPI to The B1G. If The B1G raids The ACC and passes on UCONN for some reason, at the very least The ACC would backfill with you guys to shore up their TV Deals. Either way you are out of The AAC.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
For UConn to meet it's 27 month exit commitment prior to the new B1G TV contract it would need to give its notice by August. So an announcement no later than then does a few things.

1) It allows the B1G to announce that they are adding the national champions in men's and women's basketball. That's a nice commitment to excellence narrative that doesn't get you in the door but still is a perk that I suspect would appeal to Delaney.

2) It puts UConn on the clock regarding any admission requirements, e.g., expanding the Rent or building an on campus hockey stadium.

3) It locks down added content for the B1g to pitch in its new TV contract negotiations.

4) It takes UConn off the board for other conferences.

I don't think that it is a slam dunk that an announcement will happen but there is some logic to making an announcement now, assuming Delaney's interested.

Presumably Warde made good use of the free education offered by Jurich and delivered our formal exit notice to Mikey A. many months ago....

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members