MHver3 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

MHver3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Jeez is U-Verse the only provider that groups all of it's channels by content? 600s are just all sports networks. You're not gonna find CMT or SciFi anywhere near ESPN or NBCS.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Jeez is U-Verse the only provider that groups all of it's channels by content? 600s are just all sports networks. You're not gonna find CMT or SciFi anywhere near ESPN or NBCS.

I think it's more the fact that the ESPN channels seem to get their own block in many of the providers' setups. For DirecTV, most of the sports channels are in the 600's, with the exception of the ESPN block in the low 200's, and of course the major networks (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS) between 2 and 60.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mostly true but no one watches their station. The Big East is not going to change that on their own.

I'll bet their numbers are up since the olympics and yes, the Big East will have a dramatic impact on their viewership.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The last time the ACC expanded from the Big East, we were defending national champions. If we beat OU, we're in. MAC losses would be irrelevant.

So what you are saying is if we beat OU (a tall order, to be sure) BCU wouldn't have blocked us? Or maybe if they did they wouldn't have mustered support?

The only reason we aren't in the ACC instead of Pitt is that BCU wanted to be the only New England team.

Reaction Score
I'll bet their numbers are up since the olympics and yes, the Big East will have a dramatic impact on their viewership.
unlikely. put it this way, NBCSN just signed a deal last year with Hockey East to televise college hockey games. Now, I'm a huge HE follower, but if the BE is going to be on par with Hockey East, that's a gigantic problem.

Reaction Score
So what you are saying is if we beat OU (a tall order, to be sure) BCU wouldn't have blocked us? Or maybe if they did they wouldn't have mustered support?

The only reason we aren't in the ACC instead of Pitt is that BCU wanted to be the only New England team.
BC by itself did not block us. They may have pushed for us not to be included, but there was no reason for other schools to push back and say we want them. If any other school pushed back and said we want them, no one would've listened to GDF, he was not well respected among other ACC presidents/AD's. Even BC fans will tell you that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You are totally wrong about the Olympic impact. Their ratings are worse than ever.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The only real risk of leaving Espn is losing the cross promotion they give BE teams on SportCenter, Gameday, and other shows outside the actual game.broadcasts. Currently, we get nothing in FB by design where we used to get a few shout outs here and there for big games. In BB, we got a lot of promotion which we will lose if we sign with NBC.

Where the games themselves are shown isn't as important as how often and where they are promo'd.

If we are not on ESPN, we will disappear from their air like the NHL did.

If NBC promotes our games on the main network, ESPN won't be missed as much.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do you pick your games by what network they are on, or what network you watch by what game they show. I pick a game, and that draws me to the network. You are welcome to do it the other way, but why would you?

But if "my" game isn't on, I scroll. I check CBS and ABC, plus ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU. NBC/Comcast Sportsnet is well up the dial and doesn't even warrant a check on Saturdays. That's what we miss. The random, casual football fan, just looking for the best game he can find.

Reaction Score
But if "my" game isn't on, I scroll. I check CBS and ABC, plus ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU. NBC/Comcast Sportsnet is well up the dial and doesn't even warrant a check on Saturdays. That's what we miss. The random, casual football fan, just looking for the best game he can find.

On Cablevision, NBC sports is in some order with SNY, MSG and YES. All channels that everyone skims through when they want to see what games are on.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
NBC SN is right next to ESPN on every cable lineup. I think viewers would find us.

Really? Every cable lineup? You sure? Because it isn't on mine... I have Cox, and ESPN is right there on channel 28 under the "TV Essentials" package. NBCSN isn't even on that package at all, let alone being next to ESPN.

No, I get to pay for the "Advanced TV Sports and Information Pak", a package level above the level ESPN and ESPN2 are on with a cool, new way to spell "pack."

My NBCSN is located on channel 139, right between the NHL Network and something called FuelTV.

If by "right next to" you mean 111 channels and an entire package level away, then you're right.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
On Cablevision, NBC sports is in some order with SNY, MSG and YES. All channels that everyone skims through when they want to see what games are on.

Exactly, up in the boonies. On FioS here in metro Boston it's up past the BigTen network past SPEED, past the NHL network, MLB and FoxSoccer and is between the NBA Network and the Outdoor channel. Meanwhile, the HD sports channels start with five straight ESPN channels, and then go to NESN. NBCS is well past the click zone.

Reaction Score
I watch channel 12 exclusively because that is what is on when I turn on the tv, and I can't figure out where any other channels are.

Reaction Score
Do you pick your games by what network they are on, or what network you watch by what game they show. I pick a game, and that draws me to the network. You are welcome to do it the other way, but why would you?

I seek out specific games personally. But not everyone seems to operate that way. Sometimes you can pick-up casual viewers simply by being on a specific network.

Reaction Score
I seek out specific games personally. But not everyone seems to operate that way. Sometimes you can pick-up casual viewers simply by being on a specific network.

You can say whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is for 95% of casual sports fans, a college football Saturday channel search consist of the basic networks (CBS NBC ABC) and the ESPNs. That is it. Seeing UConn vs Memphis 4 channels up is not going to entice anyone to tune in, Especially with some old dumb-as-a-brick retired defensive linemen who has no clue doing the color commentating (SNY). Hopefully the money is good, b/c the exposure is not going to be there. Might as well be on Vs.

Reaction Score

I never know what CFB games are on. I generally flip CBS-ABC-ESPN-ESPNU-ESPN2. I've started to add FX, CBS CS, NBC SN, Big10, but I'd bet a lot of people just check the first five.

Reaction Score
I never know what CFB games are on. I generally flip CBS-ABC-ESPN-ESPNU-ESPN2. I've started to add FX, CBS CS, NBC SN, Big10, but I'd bet a lot of people just check the first five.
This is precisely the point. The people that matter aren't the diehard fans, they'll seek out the game. But they don't bring in the ratings numbers, it's the casual sports fans who flip on the TV on Saturday to watch college football generally. NBCSN is waaaayyyyyyy down in the pecking order of channels they'll check to find a game, if they even know it exists. NBC, different story, but NBCSN is garbage.

Reaction Score
BC by itself did not block us. They may have pushed for us not to be included, but there was no reason for other schools to push back and say we want them. If any other school pushed back and said we want them, no one would've listened to GDF, he was not well respected among other ACC presidents/AD's. Even BC fans will tell you that.

When you make such a stand, you put a bulls-eye on your back. When you do what BC did and say "This will hurt us," and another fellow member says, "Too bad," without that fellow member having an absolute reason to take such a stand, well then, such stands against a school like BC aren't made. If it had been NC State that blackballed UConn, I would have agreed with you. But BC actually has a logical argument to make about the region and UConn as competition. NC State doesn't. This is no different than schools such as Florida and Clemson making arguments in the SEC about ACC schools invading their territory. Other members will respect such stands. Why? Because they expect reciprocal concern for their own interests. BC put a marker down when they blackballed us. No one else would put down a marker against them, not when they could simply shrug and say, "Pitt is just as good" or "almost as good" or "an acceptable substitute." Plus, it's likely schools such as FSU and Clemson simply sat out the whole discussion because they were against expansion from the start.

Reaction Score
When you make such a stand, you put a bulls-eye on your back. When you do what BC did and say "This will hurt us," and another fellow member says, "Too bad," without that fellow member having an absolute reason to take such a stand, well then, such stands against a school like BC aren't made. If it had been NC State that blackballed UConn, I would have agreed with you. But BC actually has a logical argument to make about the region and UConn as competition. NC State doesn't. This is no different than schools such as Florida and Clemson making arguments in the SEC about ACC schools invading their territory. Other members will respect such stands. Why? Because they expect reciprocal concern for their own interests. BC put a marker down when they blackballed us. No one else would put down a marker against them, not when they could simply shrug and say, "Pitt is just as good" or "almost as good" or "an acceptable substitute." Plus, it's likely schools such as FSU and Clemson simply sat out the whole discussion because they were against expansion from the start.
Yes, this is my point. BC may have a legitimate reason to not want us, but if our program was good enough, everyone would say tough shiz, you don't pull your own weight in this conference, we're taking them. A program with an out of touch and out of control AD, who regularly finishes in the bottom half of the basketball side, doesn't draw significant media attention in their own market, and forced the conference to write an unofficial rule about the bowl selection process because BC fans travel so poorly does not have the power to blackball a program that everyone else wants. UF can blackball FSU because they pull enough weight in the conference to do it. If it were Mississippi State or Vanderbilt blackballing FSU (assume geography were the same), that'd be a different story.

Reaction Score
, but if our program was good enough,

"Good enough" is not correct. It's not an absolute game; it's all relative.

UConn needed to be *significantly* better than Syracuse and Pitt to justify ACC schools members choosing the Huskies over BC's objection.

Reaction Score
Yes, this is my point. BC may have a legitimate reason to not want us, but if our program was good enough, everyone would say tough shiz, you don't pull your own weight in this conference, we're taking them. A program with an out of touch and out of control AD, who regularly finishes in the bottom half of the basketball side, doesn't draw significant media attention in their own market, and forced the conference to write an unofficial rule about the bowl selection process because BC fans travel so poorly does not have the power to blackball a program that everyone else wants. UF can blackball FSU because they pull enough weight in the conference to do it. If it were Mississippi State or Vanderbilt blackballing FSU (assume geography were the same), that'd be a different story.

I can't say I agree with this. No one is going to lay a marker down on this one, not when the school is in another's backyard. It was BC's call to make. Plain and simple. It's just the way these things work. If I use my own experience in voting committees, I see people pitching lamebrain ideas that they put their foot down on, and we question them, and we think they're stupid sometimes, but if the matter has to do with their field, we're not going to overrule them typically (unless the decision is so odious we can't live with it). Why? Because when the time comes around, we don't want them messing with our stuff. It's just a weird protocol that inevitably yields many bad decisions.

Reaction Score
Personally, I check them all. However, I sincerely doubt that many people are sitting home on Saturday watching random college football games. At least not people I know.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Personally, I check them all. However, I sincerely doubt that many people are sitting home on Saturday watching random college football games. At least not people I know.
I know you and I do the same thing. We must be the target demographic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom