2023 UConn Football Commit - Jake Kiernan (Greenwich CT) | The Boneyard

2023 UConn Football Commit - Jake Kiernan (Greenwich CT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> "I am incredibly proud of Jake and all of his accomplishments as a two-time All-Stater," Greenwich football coach Anthony Morello said. "I couldn't be happier for him. He was a great captain for us, a tremendous leader. I know he had aspirations of playing division one football and he had some iron in the kettle, but UConn was always a dream with him. It seems like a really great fit, especially with what UConn is doing right now." <-

-> "I think Jake is going to fit in great," Morello said. "He has size, he has tremendous ability, he is a passionate player and he is a great leader. He understands he is going into a program with high expectations, same as the one he is leaving. He knows that there are guys that are going to be ahead of him on the depth chart, and he is going to have to earn his spot. It is going to be a great challenge for him, and if he performs the way we expect, hopefully he can earn a scholarship down the road and earn a spot up front." <-

-> "Jake is the first player that I have coached to attend UConn," Morello said. "I am really excited for the relationship with UConn and high schools in Connecticut. I think we have incredibly underrated football players in Connecticut." <-

Reaction Score
UConn is doing a very good job of taking PWOs in state. I would offer any all state kid that qualifies academically and checks out as a good citizen. Like, default, you as a CT resident and football player have a place at UConn.

That helps. Sells tickets too. Who knows if they end up playing significantly. Sometimes they do break onto two-deep. In that case, they should get a schollie .

Reaction Score
That's a big boy for coming out of high school. He's going to be easily over 300 once he hits the weight room at UConn.

Welcome to the pound.

Reaction Score
All state OL with that size out of a perennially good program. No brainer to bring him in. Agree we are doing very well on the PWO front.

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> "I am incredibly proud of Jake and all of his accomplishments as a two-time All-Stater," Greenwich football coach Anthony Morello said. "I couldn't be happier for him. He was a great captain for us, a tremendous leader. I know he had aspirations of playing division one football and he had some iron in the kettle, but UConn was always a dream with him. It seems like a really great fit, especially with what UConn is doing right now." <-

-> "I think Jake is going to fit in great," Morello said. "He has size, he has tremendous ability, he is a passionate player and he is a great leader. He understands he is going into a program with high expectations, same as the one he is leaving. He knows that there are guys that are going to be ahead of him on the depth chart, and he is going to have to earn his spot. It is going to be a great challenge for him, and if he performs the way we expect, hopefully he can earn a scholarship down the road and earn a spot up front." <-

-> "Jake is the first player that I have coached to attend UConn," Morello said. "I am really excited for the relationship with UConn and high schools in Connecticut. I think we have incredibly underrated football players in Connecticut." <-

Does the coach actually understand that UConn is a division one school?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sadly BL, quite a few down in our neck of the woods have believed for decades that we are D-1 in name only. They felt that if they had a player who was good enough to earn a D-1 scholarship, he was too good for UConn.

Reaction Score
Sadly BL, quite a few down in our neck of the woods have believed for decades that we are D-1 in name only. They felt that if they had a player who was good enough to earn a D-1 scholarship, he was too good for UConn.
That was my point. I don’t think he realizes we’re not in the Yankee Conference any more. Sheesh.

Reaction Score
I think you guys are being too harsh. The coach obviously knows that UConn is D1 and all of his comments about the school are extremely positive. He just left out a word (or the reporter did). I'm sure what he meant was, "I know he had aspirations of playing division one football and he had some OTHER iron in the kettle, but UConn was always a dream with him." Why would UConn be the kid's dream if he had D1 aspirations and UConn didn't fit that goal?

Reaction Score
There are other ways to interpret that quote.

He might have meant that were D1 schools where Jake might have had a chance to get a scholarship. But UConn was his dream, so rather than wait or hope, he took the UConn walk on route.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There is a massive amount of history with HS coaches down here, especially the stronger programs viewing UConn as being beneath their better players.

I will need some evidence to the contrary before I alter my view (his HS coach's opinion of UConn).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom