2022 Cup Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Cup Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You don't even need that much "buy-in", in my humble opinion.

All you need is the soccer federations of Germany, Italy, England, Brazil, and Spain to say, "Nope. We aren't doing it." There is no world cup without those countries. The other countries will follow suit...

I would add the US as well. We pay more than any country to televise it. No US and FOX takes a bath.

But something tells me that this has all been decided and the upcoming vote is a mere formality.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't get the last line of the article...

On the contrary, the November-December date would affect only one European club season, according to Wahl.

These dates are smack in the middle of all the major European leagues and the Europa and Champions League. I can't see how this would be beneficial AT ALL. Some teams were hit from injuries from the World Cup when it was just in the summer. Imagine what it will do to the major clubs in Europe who are trying to balance league play and UEFA games.

This has horrific idea written all over it!

Reaction Score
I think the big question now is if the corporate sponsors for the professional teams in England, Spain, Italy, Germany, etc. decide that their investment in these teams is more important to them than their sponsorship of the World Cup. In turn, the World Cup becomes a threat to their primary investment in the various club teams due to scheduling, injuries, etc. and pull money from the World Cup. That is the only way FIFA will listen. Threaten their wallets.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Holt crap...Valcke'S response is freaking laughable if he truly believes that the European leagues should deal with it and just reschedule everything because that's life. Wow! I hope this gets really ugly!!

Reaction Score
Holt crap...Valcke'S response is freaking laughable if he truly believes that the European leagues should deal with it and just reschedule everything because that's life. Wow! I hope this gets really ugly!!

Yeah its amazing. As you said, he pretty much just says "deal with it". . Wow.

Reaction Score

Are UEFA teams required to release players for the Cup? Would love to see FIFA host a Cup with absolutely no star players on the pitch.

Reaction Score
All UEFA needs to do is say (1) our Federation is not participating in a winter world cup - this takes out Spain, Germany, France, England, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, and at least one more; and (2) we are not releasing players from their clubs to play in the tournament - this takes out all the best South American and African players.
That will result in FIFA backing down and either playing it in the summer or moving it. Or it will give us a U.S. v Mexico final!!! Win-win.

Reaction Score

Only chance is if the major sponsors and TV broadcasters (the Holidays are a black hole when it comes to TV viewership as not one has time to watch) put up a fight over the timing and/or location. If this does take place, FIFA better have good liability insurance because the first fan who get arrested & 50 lashes for drinking in public or the second fan who dies in the stadium from heat stroke is going to use FIFA's own risk report classifying Qatar as a high risk to host an event such as this will have a field day in court.

Reaction Score
The fact that UEFA head Platini said the decision was acceptable all but seals the deal. That sucks

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not going to get that PO'd over something that will happen in 2022.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
...so does ISIS and Al Qaeda
I'm not heading over there anyway. I just hope I live long enough to be able to go to a World Cup in a decent location.

Reaction Score
I'm now hooked on going to the WC after Brazil (I'm sure Ipanema had nothing to do with it). I plan on going toRussia in '18, and will see where I'm at in my life for '22. If I'm in a position to go (health and wealth) I'm planning on being there.

Reaction Score
I'm now hooked on going to the WC after Brazil (I'm sure Ipanema had nothing to do with it). I plan on going toRussia in '18, and will see where I'm at in my life for '22. If I'm in a position to go (health and wealth) I'm planning on being there.

I lucked out being in Korea in 2002. Haven't been since.

Having been to Russia and Qatar, I will totally enjoy the World Cup from the USA. Those two countries lack any sort of conscience.

Reaction Score

Yeah, not sure bikini's are even allowed to be worn in Qatar...

Reaction Score
Yeah, not sure bikini's are even allowed to be worn in Qatar...
You'd be surprised what's going on under many of those burkas, and what goes on in private.... but you are correct, there will be no bikinis (or caparinha's) everywere you turn in Qatar.

Reaction Score
You'd be surprised what's going on under many of those burkas, and what goes on in private.... but you are correct, there will be no bikinis (or caparinha's) everywere you turn in Qatar.

Often times there is nothing under the burka.

I wonder how they are going to deal with the whole no alcohol thing.

Reaction Score
I lucked out being in Korea in 2002. Haven't been since.

Having been to Russia and Qatar, I will totally enjoy the World Cup from the USA. Those two countries lack any sort of conscience.

As does FIFA... What a freakin' Mafia.

Reaction Score
For any of you brave souls thinking about going to Qatar 2022, you can sleep in a tent in the desert!
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35863820

Personally, FIFA officials should be forced to sleep in the tents. That will get things fixed quickly.

Qatar 2022 is going to be a disaster, and that's before some terrorist group decides that so many Westerners hanging out in their backyard on global TV is way too big of an opportunity to pass-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom