2017 UConn Football Coaching Staff (official) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2017 UConn Football Coaching Staff (official)

Reaction Score
We don't do any special teamy football type of stuff so who cares jus fair catch, don't block and take a knee in end zone. I'm more worried about the fake fake field goal play, that play needs a special coach.

Reaction Score
We don't do any special teamy football type of stuff so who cares jus fair catch, don't block and take a knee in end zone. I'm more worried about the fake fake field goal play, that play needs a special coach.
That ended December 26, 2016. My guess is that you never saw special teams play on a randy Edsall coached UConn team by this post.

Reaction Score
Well, I will say this -- if you haven't seen enough fake FG attempts to last you a lifetime, you are in for a disappoint. But if you like to believe that punt and kickoff returns should be viewed as potential big plays, you will be very happy.

Edsall rarely had an assistant just doing special teams. NOrmally, he gave one positional assistant the title to coordinate the paperwork and then all the coaches chipped in.

Reaction Score
Head Coach-Randy Edsall

Offensive Coordinator and QB Coach: Rhett Lashlee ($350K plus incentives)
WR Coach:
TE Coach: Corey Edsall ($95K)
OL Coach:
RB Coach: Terry Richardson ($245K)

Defensive Coordinator:
LB Coach: Jon Wholley ($155K)
DL Coach:
Safeties Coach:
CB Coach: Curome Cox ($175K)
Special Teams Coach:

Strength and Conditioning Coach:

Defensive Grad Assistant (1):
Defensive Grad Assistant (2):
Offensive Grad Assistant (1):
Offensive Grad Assistant (2):

Press release had Cox as DB coach. The staff is limited to 9 assistants so it is likely that there will be no Special Teams coach. Edasll took over coaching safeties 2010 when he was HC and I would expect him to have a very active role in the safety and DB coaching. Edsall still has a good chunk of change to spend on the DC, OL and DL as he is at $1.02M of a $2M budget for assistant coaches. Unclear if Steinberg's Director of Football Operations salary of $125K or the S&C coach comes out of the assistant budget.
@UConnRock just like Richardson had the title Asst Head Coach added to his title; one of these guys will be Special Teams Co-Ordinator, and 1 will be the Recruiting Co-Ordinator.

Reaction Score
Well, I will say this -- if you haven't seen enough fake FG attempts to last you a lifetime, you are in for a disappoint. But if you like to believe that punt and kickoff returns should be viewed as potential big plays, you will be very happy.

Edsall rarely had an assistant just doing special teams. NOrmally, he gave one positional assistant the title to coordinate the paperwork and then all the coaches chipped in.
Not true BL...Lyndon Johnson was Special Teams Co-Ordinator when he was at UConn and it was his job to completely run special teams. I know this for a fact because he played and roomed with my friends when they played at UConn and is still very close with them.

Reaction Score
Not true BL...Lyndon Johnson was Special Teams Co-Ordinator when he was at UConn and it was his job to completely run special teams. I know this for a fact because he played and roomed with my friends when they played to gather at UConn and is still very close with them.

IIRC, Edsall did it both ways. I should not have used the word rarely.

Reaction Score
Not true BL...Lyndon Johnson was Special Teams Co-Ordinator when he was at UConn and it was his job to completely run special teams. I know this for a fact because he played and roomed with my friends when they played at UConn and is still very close with them.
IIRC, Edsall did it both ways. I should not have used the word rarely.

Depends on what year/where - this is 2003.

Head Coach: . . . . . Randy Edsall, 5th Year (Syracuse ’80) Overall Coaching Record:.15-30 (four seasons)
Assistant Coaches:
Off. Coord./Guards & Centers: .Norries Wilson, 5th Yr. (Minnesota ’89)
Def Coord./Defensive Line: . .Hank Hughes, 3rd Yr. (Springfield ’79)
Quarterbacks: . . . . . . . . . .Rob Ambrose, 2nd Yr. (Towson State ’93)
Defensive Backs: . . . . . . . .Torrian Gray, 2nd Yr. (Virginia Tech ’96)
Recruiting Coor./OLBs: . . .Lyndon Johnson, 5th Yr. (Connecticut ’92)
Wide Receivers: . . . . . . . . .Vinny Marino, 2nd Yr. (Connecticut ’92)
Tackles & TEs/Special Teams Coord.: . .Dave McMichael, 3rd Yr. (Bowling Green ’74)
Linebackers: . . . . . . . . . . . . .Todd Orlando, 5th Yr. (Wisconsin ’94)
Running Backs: . . . . . . . . . .Terry Richardson, 5th Yr. (Syracuse ’94)
Offensive Graduate Assistant: . .Matt Cersosimo, 2nd Yr. (Springfield ’00)
Defensive Graduate Assistant: . . .Joe Villapiano, 1st Yr. (Connecticut ‘03)
Director of Football Operations: . . . .Don Corzine, 5th Yr. (Indiana ’98)

How was that staff!

Reaction Score
No Special Teams coach?!?!?
Yeah, that'll fly.

Would you rather have no DC, OL, WR or DL as that is what is left to fill with the 4 remaining assistants. Specials will likely be split between two of the coaches.

Reaction Score
Defensive Coordinator:
DL Coach:
Safeties Coach:
Special Teams Coach:

Press release had Cox as DB coach. The staff is limited to 9 assistants so it is likely that there will be no Special Teams coach. Edsall took over coaching safeties 2010 when he was HC and I would expect him to have a very active role in the safety and DB coaching.

So in 2003, it doesn't look like RE had a Safeties Coach. With the limited budget he has now, maybe that option will be used again. He could have Coach Cox handle all the DBs, with some help from RE, forgo having a Safeties Coach, and instead put those dollars into a Special Teams Coach.

Reaction Score
Head Coach-Randy Edsall

Offensive Coordinator and QB Coach: Rhett Lashlee ($350K plus incentives)
WR Coach:
TE Coach: Corey Edsall ($95K)
OL Coach:
RB Coach: Terry Richardson ($245K)

Defensive Coordinator:
DL Coach:
Safeties Coach:
Special Teams Coach:

Strength and Conditioning Coach:

Defensive Grad Assistant (1):
Defensive Grad Assistant (2):
Offensive Grad Assistant (1):
Offensive Grad Assistant (2):

Press release had Cox as DB coach. The staff is limited to 9 assistants so it is likely that there will be no Special Teams coach. Edasll took over coaching safeties 2010 when he was HC and I would expect him to have a very active role in the safety and DB coaching. Edsall still has a good chunk of change to spend on the DC, OL and DL as he is at $1.02M of a $2M budget for assistant coaches. Unclear if Steinberg's Director of Football Operations salary of $125K or the S&C coach comes out of the assistant budget.

1) what happened to the NCAA voting on adding a tenth assistant coach?

2) is the 2M pool for assistants an estimate based on previous years?

3) what was the dmv thing?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Press release had Cox as DB coach. The staff is limited to 9 assistants so it is likely that there will be no Special Teams coach.

I know the press release didn't say it but I wonder if Cox will end up coaching specials, too. He did at Coastal...

Reaction Score
So in 2003, it doesn't look like RE had a Safeties Coach. With the limited budget he has now, maybe that option will be used again.
Other than inferences from news reports, last year's purported salaries, and related skuddlebutt, how confident are you of the current total salary pool? Any substantive facts supporting the suggestion the 2003 salary budget was much, or any, more than the current rumored coaching salary budget?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
My bet is there is no Safeties coach and someone will be Special Teams. Randy has had guys specific to tight ends and tackles, guards and centers, full O line coaches, etc. He fits the coaches to the needs.

Reaction Score
Other than inferences from news reports, last year's purported salaries, and related skuddlebutt, how confident are you of the current total salary pool? Any substantive facts supporting the suggestion the 2003 salary budget was much, or any, more than the current rumored coaching salary budget?
I wish I could discuss your questions from an informed standpoint, but I'm not certain what salaries are actually included this time around and which are not. Regardless though, from a financial standpoint, RE seems to managing the new hires very well.

Reaction Score
Curome Cox Added to Football Staff
Curome Cox will be the new UConn defensive backs coach
Jan. 13, 2017

STORRS, Conn. - Former National Football League performer and ACC standout Curome Cox has been named to the UConn Football staff as defensive backs coach, it was announced Friday by Head Coach Randy Edsall.

Cox spent the past four seasons at Coastal Carolina, coaching the corner backs and kickoff coverage unit on special teams. Cox came to Coastal Carolina after three seasons (2010-12) as a graduate assistant at Maryland. While at Maryland, Cox assisted with the Terrapins' defensive and special teams units. He also served as the junior college recruiter as well as on-campus liaison for potential student-athletes during official and unofficial visits.

Cox also spent time as an intern assistant coach as part of the NFL minority internship program with the Washington Redskins during July and August 2012. While with the Redskins, he contributed with the development and execution of practice elements and worked with the defensive secondary during film sessions.

The Arlington, Va., native spent five seasons in the NFL, playing for the Denver Broncos (2004-07) and Houston Texans (2007-09). While in Denver, Cox served on the special teams units, where he was a finalist for the 2006 AFC Special Team Player of the Year. He helped the Broncos to the AFC West title in 2005 and to the 2006 AFC Championship game.

Cox played collegiately at Maryland where he earned All-ACC as well as All-ACC Academic honors in 2003. Cox, primarily a corner, ranks seventh on the Terps' all-time list with 10 career interceptions returned for 153 yards. He helped lead Maryland to the 2002 Orange Bowl, 2002 Peach Bowl and the 2004 Gator Bowl. During his time in Maryland, the Terps tallied a 41-20 record and claimed the 2001 ACC Championship.

Cox (born Feb. 28, 1981) graduated from Maryland in 2003 with a degree in family studies. He earned a masters of arts degree in minority and urban education from Maryland in 2012.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom