2017 recruits: Who is UConn still pursuing? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2017 recruits: Who is UConn still pursuing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying, but it is going to take some work from the staff to pull her away. I wonder what dad said to her before he passed....she's always at Baylor games and practices so I guess it is the wait and see moment now

Okay thanks I see what you're saying. I don't buy the death of her dad argument - a kid may also just want to get away. Or her mom or ad just wanted what's best and she thinks so-and-so school is best. But to add what you're saying--> she attends practices. Yeah I see now. You're right. Thanks!!!

Reaction Score
But I do think she's a generational talent.
In the last 15 years, there's been Dee 01-05, Candice 05-08, Maya 07-11, and Stewie 12-16.

Is she better than they, or are human generations just turning into rabbit generations? :)

Reaction Score
The Baylor vs UCONN series will be fun to watch over the next few years. With Alexis Morris and Didi Richards added to Baylor's talent and Megan added to UCONN ...buckle your seat belts.

How good is Alexis Morris? Hoopgurlz best pg. Though I know that doesn't mean a lot. Looks like lots of real good pg's in that class. How do you compare Walker vs the one year older Jackie Young?

Reaction Score
In the last 15 years, there's been Dee 01-05, Candice 05-08, Maya 07-11, and Stewie 12-16.

Is she better than they, or are human generations just turning into rabbit generations? :)
For lack of a better term I just went with "generational" after seeing it in a previous post by Pacific44 describing outstanding talents. I just feel that Walker has the potential to develop into that level of player. As with those top players at an early age, development will be the key. As for "better than them" who knows? Time will tell.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If a comparison could be made, it would have to be with a HS sophomore or junior Maya Moore which I'm unable to do. I'm not a stat guy and I have no idea where the 41% came from. But it doesn't matter to me, I don't see a 41% shooter in that form and release.

That is her FG% over her last two high school seasons. It's 40% over her career. I haven't seen any of her high school games, but I haven't been able to figure out why someone with her talent has consistently put up such poor shooting numbers. It's a pattern that has kept up in AAU games as well.

Reaction Score
How good is Alexis Morris? Hoopgurlz best pg. Though I know that doesn't mean a lot. Looks like lots of real good pg's in that class. How do you compare Walker vs the one year older Jackie Young?
Alexis Morris is really good. She plays defense and a pass first pg. she also can lead the team in scoring when needed (last year USA team). Reminds you a lot of Simms.

Walker is not young at all. Young can score in bunches where as Walker will disappear at times. At Boo Williams there were 3 games where she scored less than 8 points. That would never happen with young.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Here is FBC's game with Coombs from today. She is #3 in Red but it's kinda hard to make out. Easier way to track is by noting that she's the lean athlete in a ponytail wearing long black sleeves.

Reaction Score
Another heads up to everyone on the board......as good as collier and Prince is, they aren't the best post here in Texas. There is a kid name Nalyssa Smith who is 6'4" and dunking. Handles the ball like a guard and can shoot very well. She's a 2018 also.........she's just not on a Nike team yet. By the end of next summer she will be the number one kid in the country. She was the best kid at this weekend's camp. Lexi Gordon was there along with a few of the DFW t jack kids.

LY$$ ☔️ on Twitter

makayla mabry on Twitter

Brandy Mabry on Twitter

James Parker on Twitter

Reaction Score
Alexis Morris is really good. She plays defense and a pass first pg. she also can lead the team in scoring when needed (last year USA team). Reminds you a lot of Simms.

Walker is not young at all. Young can score in bunches where as Walker will disappear at times. At Boo Williams there were 3 games where she scored less than 8 points. That would never happen with young.

You like Young's game now and even in terms of a ceiling over Walker?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Another heads up to everyone on the board.as good as collier and Prince is, they aren't the best post here in Texas. There is a kid name Nalyssa Smith who is 6'4" and dunking. Handles the ball like a guard and can shoot very well. She's a 2018 also....she's just not on a Nike team yet. By the end of next summer she will be the number one kid in the country. She was the best kid at this weekend's camp. Lexi Gordon was there along with a few of the DFW t jack kids.

LY$$ ☔️ on Twitter

makayla mabry on Twitter

Brandy Mabry on Twitter

James Parker on Twitter

Okay keep talking. Keep eyes on her if you can. Young women at that age can make sudden leaps in skill level, especially taller players who often need time to grow into that body. It seems Texas ain't running out of talent anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Another heads up to everyone on the board.as good as collier and Prince is, they aren't the best post here in Texas. There is a kid name Nalyssa Smith who is 6'4" and dunking. Handles the ball like a guard and can shoot very well. She's a 2018 also....she's just not on a Nike team yet. By the end of next summer she will be the number one kid in the country. She was the best kid at this weekend's camp. Lexi Gordon was there along with a few of the DFW t jack kids.

James Parker on Twitter

I think Smith is listed at 6'2" not quite 6'4" yet anyway...............isn't she viewed more as a forward then a post? Collier is bigger and more of a post presence but Smith is clearly a more skilled player...............Texas has another highly rated forward in Catherine Reece so the pipeline continues...........................

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Orangutan - what I mean by simple measurables is not that they are not great athletes - every player in the WNBA is a great athlete - what I mean is Catchings or Moore would not win a race with all other 5' 11" - 6'2" pro basketball players, they would not have greater arm length, nor the best jumping ability, or the best arm strength or leg strength - to use your analogy, they wouldn't be the athletic 'freaks' that appear every year at the NFL combine - the 6'4 receiver that runs a sub 4.3 40 yard dash, jumps up into the top 50 picks, and gets cut after two years because he just isn't a good football player. What makes Moore and Catchings iconic is all those things that are not physically measurable. EDD and now Breanna are 'freakish' because they do things that 6'4+" players haven't been able to do before and if they also have all those immeasurable qualities of Catchings and Moore they will become iconic too, but Moore and Catchings have done it while 'confined' within 'average' (for WNBA players) athletic bodies.
Not sure I would agree about Moore. She did score the highest on the SPARQ test back in HS (verses other girls her age).

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I know there is lots of factors that go into a decision. But if Walker is as good as everyone says, UCONN is the logical choice. Coaching, exposure, player development and pro prospects afterward.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure I would agree about Moore. She did score the highest on the SPARQ test back in HS (verses other girls her age).
Did she - I know Tiffany Hayes did, didn't remember seeing that about Moore.

Reaction Score
I think Smith is listed at 6'2" not quite 6'4" yet anyway.....isn't she viewed more as a forward then a post? Collier is bigger and more of a post presence but Smith is clearly a more skilled player.....Texas has another highly rated forward in Catherine Reece so the pipeline continues.......
She is taller than collier when they stand next to each other. Smith is a player....smith stands underneath the rim and can jump and grab it. She is as close to Stew as any player out there. Smith out played the front court of collier and jade Williams by herself. Cy fair ended up switching Richards on to smith to slow her down.

2018 Texas post
Smith
Prince
Collier
Queen Egbo
Cate Reese

In that order from my opinion......but all are top 20 kids.

Reaction Score
You like Young's game now and even in terms of a ceiling over Walker?
I think they are different players. Young is a flat out scorer, Walker is really passive so you won't see her put up large number like young. Young is also a defensive stopper which makes her even more complete. ND may have a championship soon.......still don't understand why they aren't recruiting a big.

Reaction Score
She is taller than collier when they stand next to each other. Smith is a player....smith stands underneath the rim and can jump and grab it. She is as close to Stew as any player out there. Smith out played the front court of collier and jade Williams by herself. Cy fair ended up switching Richards on to smith to slow her down.

2018 Texas post
Smith
Prince
Collier
Queen Egbo
Cate Reese

In that order from my opinion.but all are top 20 kids.

I've never seen her in person so you would be the ultimate judge of the height issue, I've seen her listed at 6'2-6'4"................like you said, she has some Stewie like abilities, that's why classifying her with Prince or Collier may be doing her a disservice.....have you seen Queen Egbo play? Gotta love that name!!

Reaction Score
Here's Smith's response to the UConn question:

May8th‏@MookHoops24
@imwithhoops you going to uconn right ?

LY$$ ☔️ ‎@imwithhoops
if they recruit me who knows
1f602.png
https://twitter.com/mookhoops24/status/714639393948958720 …

10:26 PM - 28 Mar 2016

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think they are different players. Young is a flat out scorer, Walker is really passive so you won't see her put up large number like young. Young is also a defensive stopper which makes her even more complete. ND may have a championship soon..still don't understand why they aren't recruiting a big.

They are...unless you don't count Danielle Patterson and LaDazhia Williams for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom