2017 recruits: Who is UConn still pursuing? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2017 recruits: Who is UConn still pursuing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's an interesting quote from CW which bodes well for UConn ” I believe my game resembles Diana Taurasi because she is very explosive, she can shoot well and she is a leader on and off the court. “
Well, if she comes here, maybe the coaching staff will help her get over her remarkable lack of self confidence :cool:

upload_2016-5-6_19-20-57.png

"Yeah, this sorta looks like me."

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
[

She's just a baby...just getting started and best of all she seems like a really grounded kid and great teammate. Remember that she is playing AAU with UConn commit Lexi Gordon......they make a dynamite tandem.

Gordon looks like a decent player from what I've seen, but Williams looks like an elite talent. High basketball IQ to go with her skills and quickness.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Gordon looks like a decent player from what I've seen, but Williams looks like an elite talent. High basketball IQ to go with her skills and quickness.
What I like is these two seem to be a package deal. A package I'll be happy to sign off for.

Reaction Score

Gordon is a glue player, not a lot of flash.......................she does everything pretty well and she can really shoot.............from all reports she is a very enthusiastic team player who is a joy to coach...............I would expect her to fill an important role on the team in the years to come

Reaction Score
Let's be honest, though - all of these kids, however hard they work, are also top 1% athletes.

I agree with UcMiami in the sense that if you look over the history of WBB the best players are not merely a list of the most athletic players. But at the same time, people like Catchings, DT, and Maya are all superior athletes, even for pros.

To say of Walker - "She does not stand out in terms of size, speed, leaping ability, or other simple measurements" First of all, we don't have measurements on all these kids. I bet if we had NFL-combine style stats, she would stand out. Also, how many 6'1 players are truly off-the-dribble perimeter players. There's maybe a few each class. Some of the reason she can play that way is surely that she has worked hard on her handle but 99% of 6'1 girls are never going to be able to play that way regardless of how hard they work.

I mean, one of my dormmates in college was the DIII player of the year. She was 6-foot even, played as a post, and outran basically every opposition post she played against. Walker would make her look like a tortoise in a foot race.
Walker is great off the dribble and can pull up from anywhere on the court. The only kid I've seen do this consistently like her is Richards. Richards is a little taller than walker and also faster. Boothe at 6'3" can dribble pretty good and shoot really well but can't do it as well as Walker (six foot one) and Richards (six foot two inches). Just check out Walker and Richards hudl videos they have if you haven't seen them play

Reaction Score
Pending @SkilledUp explanation of what he meant this is not the first time I have heard this type of cautionary phrase used in relation to Rellah Boothe. That does not make it accurate especially when we are talking about a teenager. But none the less it is out there. Rellah burst onto the scene in August 2014 after Adidas nationals where her and Jade Williams were though to be the two most promising players. Last spring she tried out for the USA basketball U16 team and was not selected. If you read any of the daily reports from the trials she was widely regarded as the most talented & spectacular player during the trials by people like Mike Flynn who had a ring side seat for all days of the trials. So how does the most talented player not make the U16 team? She was not a team player=rough edge #1 . In the aftermath of the trials she had some well intended ( but completely misguided) AAU types that created a fire storm of protest by trashing the selection as biased against "southern" players=rough edge #2. These same strap hanging AAU types also posted on Youtube a highly doctored hype tape of the USA basketball trials titled "Rellah Boothe Grown Woman" . The clear implication being Rellah was a woman playing among girls at the trials and should have been selected=rough edge #3 because Rellah has two more years of prep basketball to play. Rellah played on a very good nationally ranked HS team, her team was good enough to beat Crystal Dangerfield's Blackman #1 at the time with Rellah putting up Monster mumbers had 37 points and 22 rebounds in the victory- she was just a sophomore. This summer Rellah left that high school and enrolled in IMG Academy- Rough edge #4 because although the orchestrators/strap hanging AAU types would have you believe she enrolled at IMG for "academic" reasons common sense tells you otherwise. Rough Edges and UCONN/Geno not compatible.
This is exactly what I was meaning when I said rough edges. Boothe mentioned herself my other rough edge in her new video today. Saying "I need to work on playing hard all the time"

Reaction Score
The word is Collier isn't going to leave the state of Texas since the death of her dad. It's really a sad situation for a really good kid, but it was going to take a lot to get her out of Texas anyway......this just made it more difficult. Her dad and Kim Mulkey had known each other from there days in Louisiana so they have grown really close also. It will be very interesting in the next year or two.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
For those who haven't seen Walker play

And for those who haven't seen Richards play

So where does Westbrook fit in your opinion. I've heard a few posters on here say that she's the closest guard to Walker as far as skills. Do you think Richards is better than Westbrook?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with your premise, but you know there are parts of every fanbase who have no life other than the teams they support. They try to engage recruits on the social media platforms, I assume to make themselves feel connected to the process somehow. The incident last night with the Texas A&M Football Coach and the subsequent tweets from their fanbase confirms to me that I'm on the correct path.
I have to go read up on that Texas A&M incident.

Reaction Score
The word is Collier isn't going to leave the state of Texas since the death of her dad. It's really a sad situation for a really good kid, but it was going to take a lot to get her out of Texas anyway.this just made it more difficult. Her dad and Kim Mulkey had known each other from there days in Louisiana so they have grown really close also. It will be very interesting in the next year or two.

How much "word" does it mean when she has still has a long time for that decision?

Reaction Score
So where does Westbrook fit in your opinion. I've heard a few posters on here say that she's the closest guard to Walker as far as skills. Do you think Richards is better than Westbrook?
Westbrook is really good. Richards is the only kid I've seen play like Walker. I've seen them play each other 3 times and it was a sight to see. Westbrook stock rose when they won Nike nationals last year. She plays great defense but no one scores the way Walker and Richards does. Richards led Cy fair in scoring and rebounding during boo Williams........that's playing next to jade Williams and Charlie Collier. I think we will see Richards climb the rankings on prospect nation board. Prospect nation board probably matters the most.....just if you guys wanted to know.

I think Walker is the number one wing, but Richards is 1B to me. Westbrook is behind the both of them but you can't be to upset with that spot. Me personally was hoping to see both and Richards and Walker both in a UCONN uniform. They both handle the ball well enough and can shoot the ball really well. It would have been nice to see that.

Reaction Score
How much "word" does it mean when she has still has a long time for that decision?

I understand what you are saying, but it is going to take some work from the staff to pull her away. I wonder what dad said to her before he passed....she's always at Baylor games and practices so I guess it is the wait and see moment now

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For those who haven't seen Walker play

And for those who haven't seen Richards play

Not many sophomores look like Megan Walker. Actually, not many seniors look like her.

Richards is impressive too!

Reaction Score
If we put Walker in every class since 2000,(17 years),i think she would be number 1 in most of them.She is that talented.When she arrives in Storrs and we see her play just one half of basketball we will all say,"Maya,where have you been?We have missed you so."Uconn won the last 4 years because they had 2 generational players.It is possible that they will have the best 1 through 5 starters in their history in a couple of years and they will dominate wcbb by as much as any team they have ever put on the floor.

Reaction Score
It is possible that they will have the best 1 through 5 starters in their history in a couple of years .
With AZ and incredibly depth & strength already here or committed, UConn looks very strong in 2017, 2018, and with another star like Walker, it could well be what you describe: a team to compare to 01, 02, 15.

Reaction Score
If we put Walker in every class since 2000,(17 years),i think she would be number 1 in most of them.She is that talented.When she arrives in Storrs and we see her play just one half of basketball we will all say,"Maya,where have you been?We have missed you so."Uconn won the last 4 years because they had 2 generational players.It is possible that they will have the best 1 through 5 starters in their history in a couple of years and they will dominate wcbb by as much as any team they have ever put on the floor.
Question is: Will that be good or bad for women's college basketball?

Reaction Score
I was going to make that comparison but thought it might be taken as blasphemous. But I do think she's a generational talent.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I was going to make that comparison but thought it might be taken as blasphemous. But I do think she's a generational talent.

I don't understand why she's a 41% FG shooter then. I like her but I don't see Maya Moore at all. Think that's way overselling things.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't understand why she's a 41% FG shooter then. I like her but I don't see Maya Moore at all. Think that's way overselling things.
I think you're 100 % right. However the young woman has great court vision, great body control, v.g. anticipation, v.g. athleticism. Nice first step. She doesn't seem to do any one thing at a transcendent A level. She does seem to do many things at B+ level. Not Maya Moore, but still a star waiting to happen. As a Husky me likey. Very, very much likey.

Reaction Score
If a comparison could be made, it would have to be with a HS sophomore or junior Maya Moore which I'm unable to do. I'm not a stat guy and I have no idea where the 41% came from. But it doesn't matter to me, I don't see a 41% shooter in that form and release. She's only going to improve and with that strength and ball control she will continue to control games right into college. The competition she's playing in the winter isn't bringing out her best and I'd like to see what playing with and against UConn level talent would do for her.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that you guys have seen this but if you haven't - this is Megan Walker's (@iball_crzy) twitter profile pic. Very interesting if you ask me.
*** fingers crossed ***
s6FmS_eF_400x400.jpg

Reaction Score
Not many sophomores look like Megan Walker. Actually, not many seniors look like her.

Richards is impressive too!
The Baylor vs UCONN series will be fun to watch over the next few years. With Alexis Morris and Didi Richards added to Baylor's talent and Megan added to UCONN ........buckle your seat belts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom