2017 Recruiting Thread | Page 38 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
The offers are coming in today...

Ibrahim Kante. 6'5" 240 lbs DE from the Bronx, NY. Attends Trinity-Pawling HS. According to 247, he has offers from Old Dominion, UMass, Bowling Green, and Delaware State.

Ibrahim Kante on Hudl

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Are making more offers than normal or is the age of twitter just bringing this to our attention with greater frequency.

Guess we aren't going to wait too long on those that visited last weekend.....or we have more space to fill than the 11 slots I estimated are left....ie transfers/early program exits are pending.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score

Kesean Gamble. 6'2" 220 lbs RB/MLB from Cincinnati, OH. Attends Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy. Has offers from Buffalo, Kent State, Miami(OH), Toledo, and Old Dominion.

Kesean Gamble on Hudl

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Are making more offers than normal or is the age of twitter just bringing this to our attention with greater frequency.

Guess we aren't going to wait too long on those that visited last weekend.....or we have more space to fill than the 11 slots I estimated are left....ie transfers/early program exits are pending.

No, it seems like all these offers were made today as each recruit twitted it today.

Reaction Score
Número Uno ‏@SamuelLaurent19 1h1 hour ago
All Glory to God, that I'm able to say that I have received my second full scholarships offer from the University of Connecticut. #GoHuskies

Samuel Laurent is a 6-3 175lb WR/DB from Xaverian Brothers High School in Westwood MA (Same Division as Jordan McAfee - Everett beat Xaverian for State title). Other offers from Holy Cross and Colgate.
Samuel Laurent highlights (short season secondary to injury)

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
TJ rayam ‏@tj_rayam 18m18 minutes ago
Truly Blessed to have received another offer from University of Connecticut #Huskies

TJ Rayam is a 6-1 290lb DT from Alabaster Alabama doing a PG year @ the Peddie School in Hightown New Jersey. Other offers from Iowa State, Wake Forest, UMass and Kent State.

This kid might have vaulted to the top of my wish list. Great bloodlines too - dad played d-line for Bama.

Reaction Score

Ibrahim Kante. 6'5" 240 lbs DE from the Bronx, NY. Attends Trinity-Pawling HS. According to 247, he has offers from Old Dominion, UMass, Bowling Green, and Delaware State.
Ibrahim Kante on Hudl

A bit more info on Ibrahim from an "unlinkable" article so you'll have to trust me ;)

>>THE BRONX - Playing at Cardinal Hayes in The Bronx for four years as an average height and underweight linebacker, Ibrahim Kante did not receive much interest from college football programs, despite being a high-character person, good student, and hard worker on the gridiron.

But then, something happened that has changed Kante's life for the better. After starting his senior year at 5-foot-10, 180-pounds, Kante now stands at 6-foot-5, 240-pounds, where he has become sought after by colleges across the country as a defensive lineman, with both end and tackle being mentioned.

"Some coaches want me to play defensive tackle, but for the most part I am a defensive end," he told 247Sports. "Old Dominion, Bowling Green, and Delaware State have offered me so far. Duke, UMass, Rutgers, Bryant, and a few others have been showing interest of late too."

With his four years at Hayes up and with a new body at his disposal, Kante made the decision to attend prep school at Trinity Pawling in Pawling, New York over going the JuCo route. He spoke about that decision, which will allow him to reclassify to the Class of 2017. "That's where I felt most comfortable," he explained. "I knew somebody that goes there, one of my good friends. I just look forward to playing there, helping them get far, and having a great year.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A bit more info on Ibrahim from an "unlinkable" article so you'll have to trust me ;)

>>THE BRONX - Playing at Cardinal Hayes in The Bronx for four years as an average height and underweight linebacker, Ibrahim Kante did not receive much interest from college football programs, despite being a high-character person, good student, and hard worker on the gridiron.

But then, something happened that has changed Kante's life for the better. After starting his senior year at 5-foot-10, 180-pounds, Kante now stands at 6-foot-5, 240-pounds, where he has become sought after by colleges across the country as a defensive lineman, with both end and tackle being mentioned.

"Some coaches want me to play defensive tackle, but for the most part I am a defensive end," he told . "Old Dominion, Bowling Green, and Delaware State have offered me so far. Duke, UMass, Rutgers, Bryant, and a few others have been showing interest of late too."

With his four years at Hayes up and with a new body at his disposal, Kante made the decision to attend prep school at Trinity Pawling in Pawling, New York over going the JuCo route. He spoke about that decision, which will allow him to reclassify to the Class of 2017. "That's where I felt most comfortable," he explained. "I knew somebody that goes there, one of my good friends. I just look forward to playing there, helping them get far, and having a great year.<<

I watch the few video posts in HUDL...not sure I understand this one.

Reaction Score
I have to say, I'm a little surprised how we're going after the so many prototype DE/TE types.. seems like most of these kids are probably gonna end up on D. All the while, our offense is still pretty bad a constructed.

Reaction Score
I have to say, I'm a little surprised how we're going after the so many prototype DE/TE types.. seems like most of these kids are probably gonna end up on D. All the while, our offense is still pretty bad a constructed.

I agree with DE/TE types, but there are a number of true Freshmen that played or redshirted that are offensive players:

RBs: 2 scholarship and 1 walk-on (all redshirted)
FB: 1 walk-on (played)
WR: 2 scholarship and 1 walk-on (all redshirted)
QB: 1 scholarship (played)
OL: 2 scholarship and 1 walk-on (all redshirted)
TE: 1 walk-on (redshirted)

Plus, they seem to be targeting additional RBs, WRs, OL, and returners for this class.

I'm not saying that the redshirts will turn around the offense, but it seems like we will have more depth on offense this year, although QB seems to need more depth and replacing Noel Thomas will be difficult.

Reaction Score

Maybe just me but I don't get my shorts twisted up over the "noted" high school positions of kids - they go two ways the majority of the time and positions can and do change @ next level as they continue to grow and develop.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I understand some of these targets, but not all of them over past week. I'll just mentions the ones I understand.
  • Gamble looks like a Ron Johnson type RB but taller. Not shifty, but willing to lower the shoulder and bowl over people at 6'2''. Could be an RB that can actually pick up the blitz. He also might work out as an MLB. I can see the attraction for either position....FB too. I would want to see how his freshman season goes at all three positions.
  • Wilcox looks to have a strong lower body. He pulls pretty well when playing OG. Could be either OG, DT or if he slimmed down a bit, a FB.
  • Beavers at 6'5'' looks like a WR prospect even though much of his video is on defense. Has some speed.
  • Devera - looks like a great recruit for LB. Tackles downhill (unlike some of these kids) using his lower body. Looks fast enough. Swallows RBs.
  • Laurent - at 6'3'' is another height&speed fill at the WR postion to help our QBs.
Looking back at all the action over the past two weeks, you can see a difference when comparing the ones with actual G5 or P5 offers vs the others.

Reaction Score
I watch the few video posts in HUDL...not sure I understand this one.

It was a 2-4-7 article... I guess they are saying he had a big growth during his senior year (two years ago).

Reaction Score
Sam Crawford ‏@_SamCrawford_ 8m8 minutes ago
Excited to receive an offer from the University of Connecticut #Huskies

Sam Crawford is a 6-0 188lb WR/SS from Rockwall High School in Rockwall Texas. 20 offers including ECU, USF, Tulane, Navy, Utah State, Colorado State, New Mexico State, Texas State, Fresno State, Nevada, Army, Air Force, BGSU, Northern Ill. and Holy Cross amongst others.

Sam Crawford 2016 Senior Season

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Ryan Bartow@RyanBartow 10 mins ago
#UConn offers #FIU linebacker commit Cornell Jones, sets up official visit.

>>FIU linebacker commit Cornell Jones (Miami/Central) picked up an offer from Connecticut. Huskies running backs coach David Corley made the verbal offer. Jones plans to officially visit FIU January 20 and Uconn January 27. Jones (6-2, 225) racked up 55 tackles and eight sacks as a senior. He's one of the top linebackers in south Florida in the 2017 class.<<

No other offers that I can see. LastRide‼️ - Cornell Jones highlights - Hudl

According to ESPN (which I know one shouldn't use...): Bowling Green, Temple, and Toledo have also offered.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We have alot of LBs on our roster, but many are completely untested and have tweener bodies more fit for TE and DE. Gamble, DeVera and Jones are clearly an effort to get more traditional MLB type bodies. All three look like they have some speed and like to tackle. Good to see.

Reaction Score
Sam Crawford ‏@_SamCrawford_ 8m8 minutes ago
Excited to receive an offer from the University of Connecticut #Huskies

Sam Crawford is a 6-0 188lb WR/SS from Rockwall High School in Rockwall Texas. 20 offers including ECU, USF, Tulane, Navy, Utah State, Colorado State, New Mexico State, Texas State, Fresno State, Nevada, Army, Air Force, BGSU, Northern Ill. and Holy Cross amongst others.

Sam Crawford 2016 Senior Season
He has to be a top priority for this class. Would only strengthen our WR depth at the top

Reaction Score
Corrected - it appears 247 was lacking this time and I didn't cross reference in haste to get out for dinner. Scout shows a Temple and Colorado offer, Rivals shows South Carolina, Temple, Toledo and South Carolina State.
According to ESPN (which I know one shouldn't use...): Bowling Green, Temple, and Toledo have also offered.
Ryan Bartow@RyanBartow 10 mins ago
#UConn offers #FIU linebacker commit Cornell Jones, sets up official visit.

>>FIU linebacker commit Cornell Jones (Miami/Central) picked up an offer from Connecticut. Huskies running backs coach David Corley made the verbal offer. Jones plans to officially visit FIU January 20 and Uconn January 27. Jones (6-2, 225) racked up 55 tackles and eight sacks as a senior. He's one of the top linebackers in south Florida in the 2017 class.<<

Other offers Colorado, South Caroline, Temple, Toledo, BGSU and South Carolina State. LastRide‼️ - Cornell Jones highlights - Hudl

Reaction Score
Official visit to UConn this weekend

>>Deerfield (Ill.) senior three star ranked defensive end recruit Josh Maize (6-foot-4, 230 pounds) will make his first official visit this weekend to UConn. Maize resets his visit plans and more in this latest recruiting story.<<

>>Maize gave us a preview of what he's looking forward to this weekend on his official visit to UConn. "I'm just looking forward to seeing the campus and the surrounding area. I've never been out East before so I want to see what UConn has to offer. I'm also looking forward to getting to know the coaches and the guys on the team. UConn also is supposed to have great facilities and I'm excited to see the different facilities along with the overall environment at UConn."<<

Shaping up to me a big weekend.

EDGYTIM.com ‏@EDGYTIM 8m 4 mins ago
Deerfield 2017 3star DE @MaizeJoshua Josh Maize recaps #UConn visit and discusses what’s next

>>Maize recaps his official visit impressions and much more in this latest recruiting update.. "I had a great visit" Maize said. "Outside of the weather and some flight delays it was a terrific visit and experience for myself and my Mom and Dad at at UConn."

Maize discussed what stood out for him on his weekend official visit. "I was able to hang out with the players at UConn and they really talked about the program and the future of the program. They are coming off a losing season and the players all are on the same page. The players are very honest and straight forward guys and it was huge to just to get to know them better. I also really enjoyed talking more in depth with the coaches at UConn. They are recruiting me as a hybrid type of outside linebacker/rush defensive end and that fits my overall game and skill set very well."

Maize also came away impressed with the campus and the facilities at UConn. "It was cold but it was also a beautiful campus. It's also a huge school and the facilities and everything seems to be top notch. We also got treated great all weekend long at UConn. I ate very well all weekend long and the hospitality overall was terrific." So how would Maize rate his visit overall on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the highest)? "I'd say it was an 8 overall. The only reason it was an 8 was because of the weather. I had to cut the visit a little short because of the weather delays outside of that everything else was great."<<

>>Will Maize take any other official visits? "I don't have anything set up just yet. It's going to be hard for me to fit in visits. I'm playing in the Blue/Gray All Star game and also the Team USA game so that will take up two weekends in January. That leaves me two open weekends in January and one of those are in the dead period. I'm considering some mid-week official visits so I'm going to sit down and sort everything out soon."<<

Reaction Score
Nolan Grooms@GroomsNolan 19 mins ago
Congrats to my boy on the UCONN offer!!!

Elliott Brown football 6-6 212lb WR from The Taft School in Watertown via CH Flowers High School in Springdale MD
Elliott Brown highlights

Reaction Score
EDGYTIM.com ‏@EDGYTIM 8m 4 mins ago
Deerfield 2017 3star DE @MaizeJoshua Josh Maize recaps #UConn visit and discusses what’s next

>>Maize recaps his official visit impressions and much more in this latest recruiting update.. "I had a great visit" Maize said. "Outside of the weather and some flight delays it was a terrific visit and experience for myself and my Mom and Dad at at UConn."

Maize discussed what stood out for him on his weekend official visit. "I was able to hang out with the players at UConn and they really talked about the program and the future of the program. They are coming off a losing season and the players all are on the same page. The players are very honest and straight forward guys and it was huge to just to get to know them better. I also really enjoyed talking more in depth with the coaches at UConn. They are recruiting me as a hybrid type of outside linebacker/rush defensive end and that fits my overall game and skill set very well."

Maize also came away impressed with the campus and the facilities at UConn. "It was cold but it was also a beautiful campus. It's also a huge school and the facilities and everything seems to be top notch. We also got treated great all weekend long at UConn. I ate very well all weekend long and the hospitality overall was terrific." So how would Maize rate his visit overall on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the highest)? "I'd say it was an 8 overall. The only reason it was an 8 was because of the weather. I had to cut the visit a little short because of the weather delays outside of that everything else was great."<<

>>Will Maize take any other official visits? "I don't have anything set up just yet. It's going to be hard for me to fit in visits. I'm playing in the Blue/Gray All Star game and also the Team USA game so that will take up two weekends in January. That leaves me two open weekends in January and one of those are in the dead period. I'm considering some mid-week official visits so I'm going to sit down and sort everything out soon."<<

Hope he didn't mention the cold to Diaco. That's a no no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom