2017 Recruiting Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Came across this on Dan Sichterman- whom we've offered and was at Nebraska's Friday Night Lights camp last night:

Friday Night Lights Camp 2 Takes: Good linemen, a stud WR, and even a Gabbert

"Dan Sichterman - 6-foot and 230 pounds, which is nothing like his giant twin brother -- was among a strong group of offensive and defensive linemen at the camp. Sichterman has offers from Connecticut and Youngstown State, among others; he was better than most of the tackles, zipping or ripping by most of them. He'd be a grayshirt/walk-on type for NU, most likely"

Sichterman hits camp circuit

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That doggone conference affiliation got us on this one I think... Wish him luck...

Just to be clear, I made the 'dislike button' in jest. I don't seriously have hard feelings for his choice, just making a funny. In the case of this kid, it hurts a little more that a star player on our team has his bro headed to our old rival.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, I made the 'dislike button' in jest. I don't seriously have hard feelings for his choice, just making a funny. In the case of this kid, it hurts a little more that a star player on our team has his bro headed to our old rival.
I agree totally..

My initial response was more in response to the initial post that he's going to RU.. a rival...

I also gotta remind myself that we have a laundry list of potential recruits.. It just sucks when guys we think would lean towards us goes elsewhere... there's still plenty left to fill our remaining 15 spots or so....

APA

Reaction Score
Big kid from Newtown named Willis, 6'3", 300 lbs, to BYU. Seemed to have no other FBS offers.

Reaction Score
Sigh... FTAAC

CuseNation.com@SyracuseOnScout 1 hour ago
BREAKING: Syracuse lands commitment from Grafton (MA) DB Ifeatu Melifonwu
006.jpg

Syracuse Lands Versatile DB Melifonwu
>>"Melifonwu said. "My brother goes to UConn and I kind of wanted to carve my own path at Syracuse."<<

Last edited:

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Sigh... FTAAC

While the AAC is true, this is from the article linked. Can't fault the AAC for this.

"Just a long talk with my family," Melifonwu said. "My brother goes to UConn and I kind of wanted to carve my own path at Syracuse."

Reaction Score
While the AAC is true, this is from the article linked. Can't fault the AAC for this.

"Just a long talk with my family," Melifonwu said. "My brother goes to UConn and I kind of wanted to carve my own path at Syracuse."

Yeah... I posted out of pocket when I saw the commit announcement. I was just coming here to update the OP when you also dropped this. I do believe if we were in a different conference, carving his own path @ UConn would be just as attractive. The challenges recruiting against non-Group of 5 schools is getting more real everyday. We can't underestimate the pull of the P5 perception for some kids. Frustrating for sure.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
We also got EJ Levenberry as a transfer.. the conference affiliation thing is overblown IMO in regards to UConn football. Our basketball still recruits more than fine in the league. I don't know that Big East-AAC is big of a difference conference wise as we think it is.

Reaction Score
We also got EJ Levenberry as a transfer.. the conference affiliation thing is overblown IMO in regards to UConn football. Our basketball still recruits more than fine in the league. I don't know that Big East-AAC is big of a difference conference wise as we think it is.

IMO - You can't compare basketball recruiting to football recruiting based on recruiting class size alone, yet alone total roster size. Bit easier to pluck a few blue chips in basketball than to pluck them in football in the AAC/Northeast. Football is a completely different animal than basketball/baseball.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
IMO - You can't compare basketball recruiting to football recruiting based on recruiting class size alone, yet alone total roster size. Bit easier to pluck a few blue chips in basketball than to pluck them in football in the AAC/Northeast. Football is a completely different animal than basketball/baseball.

Even ignoring that basketball recruiting is doing extremely well- are our football classes that much better/worse rated than when we were in the Big East? (and this is a question I honestly don't know the answer to). I don't really buy the argument that if we were in the ACC all of a sudden Tarik Black or the equivalent is coming to play here.

As for what I bolded above- I think this is a fair argument. That because there are naturally fewer "elite" D1 prospects in the Northeast we are naturally going to not land as many of these prospects as other schools. But recruiting elite prospects to schools in this league can be done. Hell Houston had a top 25 class last year and landed a top 5 player in the country. I just think its annoying that people blame the AAC for us not landing certain guys when there's been zero inclination that for example, had we not been in the AAC Obi's brother would be coming here.

Reaction Score
Even ignoring that basketball recruiting is doing extremely well- are our football classes that much better/worse rated than when we were in the Big East? (and this is a question I honestly don't know the answer to). I don't really buy the argument that if we were in the ACC all of a sudden Tarik Black or the equivalent is coming to play here.

As for what I bolded above- I think this is a fair argument. That because there are naturally fewer "elite" D1 prospects in the Northeast we are naturally going to not land as many of these prospects as other schools. But recruiting elite prospects to schools in this league can be done. Hell Houston had a top 25 class last year and landed a top 5 player in the country. I just think its annoying that people blame the AAC for us not landing certain guys when there's been zero inclination that for example, had we not been in the AAC Obi's brother would be coming here.

It doesn't matter whether it's the AAC or the MAC -- recruiting high end/elite kids in numbers to geographically disadvantaged non P5 schools will be tougher and tougher (... and Houston is in a talent rich/geographically advantaged state and their 5* recruit was from Houston not even just Texas. I believe only 1 or 2 of the 2016 class wasn't from Texas or an adjoining state.).

If you don't believe there is negative recruiting going regarding P5 versus Non-P5 then I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise until you hear it direct from a recruit. As far as Obi's brother (and I'm not saying he was not expressing his true feeling - but if he wasn't) did you really expect him to come out w/ a different reason why he's not going to UConn when his brother is still here? How about Foley's brother going to Rutgers?

I'll never say never but it is a steep hill to climb. The more CT kids that are evaluated and ranked- the faster tides will slowly turn (consistent winning helps too). I guess we'll just disagree what weight to put on "conference affiliation" in football recruiting. I'm one who would sure like that "excuse" to not be a prevalent factor.

Reaction Score
Finally some actual recruiting news...

LB Kam Jones. Has offers from Mississippi State and Northwestern.

I couldn't find a profile on him, but apparently he has his own website so I'll just copy and paste his info:

Kam Jones is a 6'1 223 pound Inside Linebacker. He has violent hands at the point of attack and is a side line to side line tackling machine. He plays very well in space and has an extremely high football IQ. His father is 14 year NFL veteran offensive tackle Tony Jones.

#52 Kameron Jones
Linebacker
Peachtree Ridge High School
Class of 2017

Core Values
God, Family, Football - To work hard and honor my family and teammates.
Academic Information
Class - 2017
GPA - 3.4
Major Interest - Sports Marketing

Position/Size/Strength/Speed
Position - Linebacker
Height - 6'1
Weight - 223
Bench Press - 305
Squat - 425
Power Clean - 255
Vertical - 31"