2017 - New Offensive Style or More Wins? | The Boneyard

2017 - New Offensive Style or More Wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
For 2017, would you rather see Edsall start to put into place a more exciting offense, (even if we don't have the QB or players for it) or do whatever it takes to max out wins even if it means boring offense and a bend/don't break D?

Also consider what message it sends to future recruits.

Me? I would rather win 1 extra game, somehow, someway than care about how we play.

Reaction Score
The most important thing we need to do to get recruiting back up is to not suck. I'm sure recruits like excitement, but no system is attractive if you're going 3-9.

I want to max wins. Knowing Edsall, however, he will play that way on Saturdays (no practicing long field goals for another day where you need 7 to still have a chance to win) but he will not sacrifice building the program in the manner he views as important to long term success just to squeeze extra wins out.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The most important thing we need to do to get recruiting back up is to not suck. I'm sure recruits like excitement, but no system is attractive if you're going 3-9.

I want to max wins. Knowing Edsall, however, he will play that way on Saturdays (no practicing long field goals for another day where you need 7 to still have a chance to win) but he will not sacrifice building the program in the manner he views as important to long term success just to squeeze extra wins out.

No directive from the AD to play a spread offense?

Just win, baby

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If we know anything about Edsall is that he plays to win every game and while sometimes I was frustrated with his approach, you never could question whether or not he thought it gave them the best chance to win.

Reaction Score
For 2017, would you rather see Edsall start to put into place a more exciting offense, (even if we don't have the QB or players for it) or do whatever it takes to max out wins even if it means boring offense and a bend/don't break D?

Also consider what message it sends to future recruits.

Me? I would rather win 1 extra game, somehow, someway than care about how we play.
The offense will be run oriented and ball control but with way better execution and better game by game schemes that exploit the opponents and less predictable play calling.

Winning is more exciting than losing.

Reaction Score
RE will play and optimize the Ws with the hand he has. In other words, he will get the best out of the talent he has and get maximum Ws out of them. We cannot even talk about spread offense, triple option and various offensive schemes until and unless we have the players needed for the team. At the very least a quarterback, and offensive line then RB and WR and TE.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The offense will be run oriented and ball control but with way better execution and better game by game schemes that exploit the opponents and less predictable play calling.

And that's all it needs to be. I think a 4 wide spread offense is inferior to a well executed balanced running and ball control passing offense. The main thing I need to see on offense is blocking, leading to first downs and points. They can take a shot down the field now and then to keep the defense honest, but I'd like to see an offense that can move the ball on the ground or via short passing routes (and not the endless WR screens we failed at in 2016).

Reaction Score
People on this site seem confuse modern offenses with exciting offenses. These high-tech spread offenses can work with average offensive players because there is a lot of deception designed in the plays they run, they read what the defense is doing on any giving play and adjust accordingly and they take advantage of teams by going up tempo so the defenses can't adjust in time to what they are doing offensively. If you are arguing that we should run a very deliberate, predictable power run type offensive then I am not aboard with that idea at all. The last two coaches failed miserably with that type of offense. Some of the spread offensives actually run the ball a lot more than they pass it. TJ Weist was the only OC in the last 6 years here that actually had some well designed plays with deception and actual check downs on pass plays. I'm not very happy with the Edsall hire but I will keep an open mind ( like I have any choice) going forward. Obviously his OC hire will be very important. He does have a good history of hiring good assistants although he also has a history of micromanaging his assistants on both sides of the ball. We don't need to throw the ball 50 times a game. We need a REAL OC that will install a modern offense here that will work with the personal that we have. I'm speculating that a good OC will find many ways to get Newsome and Skanes the ball in space and we will score more than 10 touchdowns next year.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Wins. There are no trophies for losing pretty.

Reaction Score
The new offensive style that I am hoping for is to have an offensive line that can block. Run oriented, pass crazy, take your pick. Nothing will work with out efficient line play. In my humble opinion all conversations regarding the offense need to start there.
PS Spend the money and hire a proven line coach, not someone who coached kickers and defensive backs for most of their careers.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
The new offensive style that I am hoping for is to have an offensive line that can block. Run oriented, pass crazy, take your pick. Nothing will work with out efficient line play. In my humble opinion all conversations regarding the offense need to start there.
PS Spend the money and hire a proven line coach, not someone who coached kickers and defensive backs for most of their careers.
We had that kid 7 years ago. His name is Mike Foley. PP kicked him to the curb. What an idiot!

Reaction Score
Great thread/question.

It depends on which extra win(s) you're talking about.

If it's 6 wins and a bowl instead of 5 wins and irrelevance, take that however you can.

If it's 4 wins vs. 3, I'd rather forego the extra win and lay the groundwork for an exciting offense that will actually draw fans and recruits and stop us being a long term laughingstock.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
What constitutes an exciting offense?

Diaco tried to (dictate that Verducci) move from the two TE sets, but he really didn't have the personnel or scheme to execute it.

An exciting offense begins with gaining large chunks of yards consistently and 1st downs. Get fans off their butts other than when Welcome to the Jungle plays.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Could we throw in a offensive line that is capable of opening a hole for the running back? I seem to remember that that was helpful in establishing a running game.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Winning cures all problems.

Reaction Score
I want both but you can't do Jack without winning. Losing don't feed the bulldog. Win win win and be competitive alllllll the dam time. I'm not loving Randy Bobandy but Diaco sucked and I mean sucked. It's like he never ever tried winning as long as the kids were loving and caring and growing. So happy he's gone and hoping Randy is here to do more than collect a check. Go Huskies

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Max out wins. We need to get this shizz show turned around and show recruits that we are going in the right direction. .500 next should be a goal for year one.

Reaction Score
You always try to win, unless of course you're Bob Diaco and treat games as exhibitions. That being said, I wouldn't want us to dumb down the playbook for W's. I'd like us to go in and try to do everything the staff wants. If it results in some mistakes and miscues, so be it, but guys need to get the "400 level (lolDiaco)" experience right off the bat. It's the only way you get better.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Wins. Wins. Wins.

Diaco and staff spent the past 3 years recruiting mostly big frames at the sacrifice of speed. That means we are better suited to play power run pro style offense in Edsall's first year or two. If we tried playing uptempo next year, half of our offense might drop dead before the Holy Cross game is finished.

Try to eek out as many wins as possible and spend the next 1-2 years recruiting a more balanced class that can contribute to any style. Once we start winning again, we can always add more wrinkles to our offense (ala Penn State and Joe Moorhead in 2016).

Reaction Score
Wins. Wins. Wins.

Diaco and staff spent the past 3 years recruiting mostly big frames at the sacrifice of speed. That means we are better suited to play power run pro style offense in Edsall's first year or two. If we tried playing uptempo next year, half of our offense might drop dead before the Holy Cross game is finished.

Try to eek out as many wins as possible and spend the next 1-2 years recruiting a more balanced class that can contribute to any style. Once we start winning again, we can always add more wrinkles to our offense (ala Penn State and Joe Moorhead in 2016).

I disagree. The only way you get better is to get reps in practice and in games. We can't put off whatever scheme we want to run for a year or two. Bring in an OC with a plan and get to work.

Reaction Score
I want the wins. We need an OC that can adapt his style to the strength of his players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom