2017 Commit #4- Ryan Dickens (Hazlet, NJ) - Decommitted | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2017 Commit #4- Ryan Dickens (Hazlet, NJ) - Decommitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm far removed from my days of being anyone's recruiting gadfly, but...I feel like we were Tyraiq Beals's only DI offer (FBS or FCS), and according to the record books he had one of the better true freshman years this program has ever seen.

Granted it's a small sample size and silly to extrapolate any major truths. By and large, guys with better offer lists are going to turn out to be better players. But at this point, it's considerably short-sighted to close the book on someone this staff scouts, evaluates, and deems worthy of a scholarship and write them off immediately.

Reaction Score
Last I checked our coaches are FBS level. You're saying he's done getting offers, I know you like to come off like you know everything but even the great whaler doesn't know that, and quite frankly at this stage of the recruiting year is a pretty stupid position to take. Welcome aboard Ryan!

Nobody has said he's done getting offers. If you're going to make your case, do it without putting words in other people's mouths.

Of course there are outliers but by and large kids with better offer lists turn out to be better players. Arguing otherwise is just stupid.

Reactions: APA
Reaction Score
After watching the video of Dickens I'm impressed with the way this kid can really stick it. He may not be the fastest or biggest but seems to have real good instincts to be around the ball. I like the way he attacks the ball carrier behind the line of scrimmage, not waiting for him to cross the line. He can push people around (at least in the video). He has good angles of penetration. I think this kid is going to be a real sleeper! He's only a junior in High School now he will put on weight, develop some speed and strength. You put him in our weight training program, red shirt him for a year and I have the feeling your going to see quite a good, hard nose ball player in the end.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Last I checked our coaches are FBS level. You're saying he's done getting offers, I know you like to come off like you know everything but even the great whaler doesn't know that, and quite frankly at this stage of the recruiting year is a pretty stupid position to take. Welcome aboard Ryan!

I guess it's a reading comprehension issue. You said more offers later in the process would make people feel better and I agreed with you.

It's a solid job creating a position that wasn't taken and calling it stupid - well done!

Reaction Score
upload_2016-6-17_8-32-34.jpeg

Reaction Score
Nobody has said he's done getting offers. If you're going to make your case, do it without putting words in other people's mouths.

Of course there are outliers but by and large kids with better offer lists turn out to be better players. Arguing otherwise is just stupid.

Nope, you're right, wasn't said at all

"A little? They beat out Monmouth for him, that part doesn't?"

I believe he is going to be a linebacker for us but he also plays fullback.

Hudl: Ryan Dickens' Highlights

Listed here as 6'2 210 but the 4.9 40 scares me a little

Reaction Score
Lol. I really need to go dark again.
Bring a little penlight so you can learn to read a thread as a conversation. No really you're aces Jimmy, I enjoy our hate hate banter!

Reaction Score
I guess it's a reading comprehension issue. You said more offers later in the process would make people feel better and I agreed with you.

It's a solid job creating a position that wasn't taken and calling it stupid - well done!
If by agreeing you mean our coaches offering meant nothing because you trust the collective offers of all of FBS then yes you agreed. What the hell difference does it make? If our coaches offer they saw something they like and that should be good enough, congratulate him and move on. What was the need to slight the kid by calling out his offers eight months before recruiting ends? (yes I know you didn't do it but you certainly defended it)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nope, you're right, wasn't said at all

"A little? They beat out Monmouth for him, that part doesn't?"

I believe he is going to be a linebacker for us but he also plays fullback.

Hudl: Ryan Dickens' Highlights

Listed here as 6'2 210 but the 4.9 40 scares me a little

This is why I don't post much anymore. The stupidity here is astounding.

Nowhere in any quote you mentioned here does anyone state he will not get any more offers. I can only assume you're trolling me here.

Reaction Score
The Hun satellite camp review: Featuring coaches from Michigan and Syracuse (PHOTOS)

>>Standout performers: With upwards of 400 players in attendance, it was impossible to see everyone, but there were a number of prospects who stood out...

...Two junior linebackers looked good in space and made plays in coverage throughout the event — Raritan's (N.J.) Ryan Dickens, a 6-1, 206-pounder who holds a scholarship offer from UConn, and James McCarthy, a 6-1, 208-pounder from Middletown (N.J.) South, with an impressive nose for the football.<<

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: UConn Football Lands New Jersey Linebacker Ryan Dickens

>>"For me, it's a linebacker's paradise," said Dickens, the fourth player in the high school class of 2017 to commit to the Huskies. "Their linebackers are very active and they'll just look for me to active and make as many plays as I can. I'm a physical, active linebacker that loves to hit. That's how I'd put it."<<

Reaction Score
This is why I don't post much anymore. The stupidity here is astounding.

Nowhere in any quote you mentioned here does anyone state he will not get any more offers. I can only assume you're trolling me here.

You really are dumb aren't you! The guy is complaining that we beat out Monmouth for a kid as if his recruiting is over, why complain at all HE JUST COMMITTED TO US, who cares who else offered at that point, we did because he obviously has something our coaches like and he accepted. And I think you're selling yourself a bit short, you don't post much anymore because you probably got the point that you're an insufferable DB!

Reaction Score
"Alex, I'll take name 3 former UConn LB's who had NO OFFERS from any school, other than UConn?" (info from TOS)

"Who is Scott Lutrus, Lawrence Wilson and Kendall Reyes" (Kendall was listed as LB coming out of high school)

Enough of the who else offered nonsense.

Reaction Score
You really are dumb aren't you! The guy is complaining that we beat out Monmouth for a kid as if his recruiting is over, why complain at all HE JUST COMMITTED TO US, who cares who else offered at that point, we did because he obviously has something our coaches like and he accepted. And I think you're selling yourself a bit short, you don't post much anymore because you probably got the point that you're an insufferable DB!

LOL. Have a nice day.

Reaction Score
Edsall did very well with kids with no other FBS offers, and all the while this board complained about Edsall never being able to get over the 8-9 win hump. Hmmmm, I wonder if there's any causation/correlation there?? :rolleyes:

I trust Diaco, he's going to miss out on some kids, that's recrutiting. I would love to see us beat out some of our peers, or bigger names. Anyone who says they wouldn't be more excited to beat out Cuse, BCU, Pitt, and Cinci for a recruit than Monmouth and Cornell is naive or lying. Hopefully this kid works out, I'm going to be cheering hard for him as I would any other kid on the team, I'm sure jimmy and whaler are no different.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It's amazing what passes for pessimism here these days. If you don't wax poetic and wave pom poms you're looked at as a pessimistic jerk.

Never said you were a jerk--I like you! Maybe skeptical is a better word than pessimistic. I'm particularly remembering your distaste for Diaco.

Reaction Score
Never said you were a jerk--I like you! Maybe skeptical is a better word than pessimistic. I'm particularly remembering your distaste for Diaco.

I'm kinda like Bizzarro Boneyard. When Diaco did a sheety job in year one I was vocal and got ripped by other posters. Then last year I ended up defending Diaco against criticism from some of the same posters.

And, I am a jerk.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm kinda like Bizzarro Boneyard. When Diaco did a sheety job in year one I was vocal and got ripped by other posters. Then last year I ended up defending Diaco against criticism from some of the same posters.

And, I am a jerk.

Was quite a turn of events.

I love how in this thread it's always the handful of UConn guys who had no offers that turned out to be good players, mind you the rest of the two was comprised of similarly ranked players and we finished above 500 in FBS play about what 3, 4 times?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Was quite a turn of events.

I love how in this thread it's always the handful of UConn guys who had no offers that turned out to be good players, mind you the rest of the two was comprised of similarly ranked players and we finished above 500 in FBS play about what 3, 4 times?

The only reason to ignore who is offered by whom is because you don't like the answer.

So getting angry when other people ask about offers makes no sense. If you believe they don't matter than there isn't anything to be upset over.

Of course it's an aggressively stupid stance - which makes it especually entertaining when people wear it as a badge of honor. If it makes you feel better to ignore knock yourself out - but to try and make the case it doesn't matter....

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The only reason to ignore who is offered by whom is because you don't like the answer.

So getting angry when other people ask about offers makes no sense. If you believe they don't matter than there isn't anything to be upset over.

Of course it's an aggressively stupid stance - which makes it especually entertaining when people wear it as a badge of honor. If it makes you feel better to ignore knock yourself out - but to try and make the case it doesn't matter....

It's funny. In a one off scenario an offer from Pitt, Rutgers, BC, Cuse, West Virginia, etc. doesn't matter too much, but it's in the aggregate where the numbers become too much to ignore. You need to see your recruits being valued by your peer programs - not FCS competition.

As for the Boneyard, specifically myself, Serrano, whaler were called out for being too negative year 1 and then in year 2 of Diaco were all were, dare I say overly positive regarding the guy and got flamed for that stance. Can't make it up.

As I've said from day 1 - the stars a recruiting site gives don't necessarily matter, it's the offers of head coaches at top FBS schools that matter (though they are correlated).

Just not sure why people get so bent on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom