2016 Signing Day- American Athletic Conference | The Boneyard

2016 Signing Day- American Athletic Conference

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Houston should easily have the top class in the American this year- they're on track for an insane top 25 finish. Really killing it. Cincinnati has a couple of pieces to the puzzle and Fritz seems to be carrying over his momentum from his coaching change at Tulane, bringing along some of his former GA Southern commits including a pretty good QB.

Figured this would be a good place to discuss other AAC classes/commits as well

Edit: Figured I would add in the link to the 247 AAC Composite Rankings. Wow it is impressive what the Cougars are doing on the recruiting trail. I also had no idea that SMU was recruiting that well- good to see. Hopefully they can improve their level of play.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=AAC

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not surprised both those TX schools are recruiting well.. Lots of talent in that area... Hopefully we can bring some of those kids up to New England. Fill some serious holes for us...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not surprised both those TX schools are recruiting well.. Lots of talent in that area... Hopefully we can bring some of those kids up to New England. Fill some serious holes for us...

Hopkins is a good start on that. I love this year's class...the RB Vickers from FL and Gilmartin are particularly exciting to me.

Drew

Reaction Score
Not a high school recruit but Kyle Allen former 5* Texas A&M QB is transferring to Houston. Wow.

Reaction Score
Hope we're focused on the 'mad dash' part of keeping our primary recruits too... I'm sure we have a few more spots, but we can't let the really good ones we got early commits from get away with all the coaching changes around here. Syracuse and RU are probably poaching their tails off on us... We did it to Syracuse.. I know they want payback...

Reaction Score
Hope we're focused on the 'mad dash' part of keeping our primary recruits too... I'm sure we have a few more spots, but we can't let the really good ones we got early commits from get away with all the coaching changes around here. Syracuse and RU are probably poaching their tails off on us... We did it to Syracuse.. I know they want payback...
Ya I hope so too. We did a good job last year. If a kid gets an offer from a top 10 program then they will likely leave. However, I think most guys who commit to UConn do so because diaco is a very unique coach and they want to play for him.

Drew

Reaction Score
Wow this is a phenomenal pickup for Temple:

Reaction Score

Drew I've been following this on twitter...when Ash became the head coach at RU he informed Russo he would be going to a Urban Meyer type hybrid spread at Rutgers (sounds similar to me what Coach Smoke & Mirrors told Boyle when he got the job at BC). Russo is a pro-style qb so he decided to open up his recruitment again. LSU put on a late push but Russo decided to stay home. I'm a bit surprised at Temple because Rhule seems to use a dual threat attack at qb...but it's a nice grab for them that's for sure.

Drew

Reaction Score
Drew I've been following this on twitter...when Ash became the head coach at RU he informed Russo he would be going to a Urban Meyer type hybrid spread at Rutgers (sounds similar to me what Coach Smoke & Mirrors told Boyle when he got the job at BC). Russo is a pro-style qb so he decided to open up his recruitment again. LSU put on a late push but Russo decided to stay home. I'm a bit surprised at Temple because Rhule seems to use a dual threat attack at qb...but it's a nice grab for them that's for sure.

Agreed it's a phenomenal grab. Honestly I'm surprised that Ash would run him off, I understand he wants a certain offensive style but why run off a top QB recruit just so you can run a style of offense that you will have to in turn recruit a top QB to? Saw the LSU smoke and was really happy that Russo is staying home and playing in the American. I know most people hate the conference but football wise this conference has done nothing but improve so far and now we're seeing this momentum translate to off the field success on the recruiting trail as well.

Tulsa got a 4* QB last year in Chad President
Houston has a 2016 Heisman contender in Greg Ward Jr
Houston got former 5* QB Kyle Allen to transfer in
Temple gets 4* QB Anthony Russo
Cincinnati currently has 5* QB Gunner Kiel
Memphis has the #1 QB prospect for this year's draft in Paxton Lynch
UCF had the first QB taken 2 years ago in Blake Bortles
ECU had Shane Carden who set numerous ECU records and possibly NCAA ones as well

It's clear to me if we want to take the next step in this conference we have to recruit a top flite QB. The American has had amazing QB play (don't forget Teddy Bridgewater played in the American too as did Garrett Gilbert) and we need to upgrade at the position to challenge for league titles. Shirreffs is a start but I really think Donovan Williams will be something special for UConn before its all said and done. Kid looks LEGIT and hopefully he can challenge for the job as a RS Fr or RS So. Great to see us building QB depth again too.

Drew

Reaction Score
Nice JUCO CB pickup for Tulsa:

• All glory to God. After a long process I feel like God has guided me to this decision. Tonight I verbally committed to Tulsa University. I'd like to thank everyone who has been apart of my life and apart of my journey. #ReignCane⚪️#LONGLIVEKB

Drew

Reaction Score
Found this graphic on Houston's class:

Drew

Reaction Score
would be another great get for Temple, Nebraska was pursuing hard but its assumed he had academic issues since this is his first OV:

Drew

Reaction Score
Wow absolutely massive get for Tulane. 4* ATH:

Reaction Score
Wow absolutely massive get for Tulane. 4* ATH:

Wanna see if he bumps back down to a 3* now that he's committed to Tulane. Was a 3* - got a star bump when he committed to USCe, then decommitted due to coaching staff change.

Drew

Reaction Score

Houston also has Paul Wall and Slim Thug welcoming recruits with personalized videos. Absolutely killing the game

Reaction Score
Umm, the AAC has 1 class in the top 60 (Houston at 49). Not really on too much fire. UConn's ranking is about the lowest it's been in the last 10 years.

P5 please. Even Duke has a top 30 class.

Rutty #73 and BCU #76, so not huge success for them.

Reaction Score
Umm, the AAC has 1 class in the top 60 (Houston at 49). Not really on too much fire. UConn's ranking is about the lowest it's been in the last 10 years.

P5 please. Even Duke has a top 30 class.

Rutty #73 and BCU #76, so not huge success for them.

The way class rankings are made up is a joke. UConn's class is rated low but that's irrelevant. After the top 15-20 ranked classes everyone has about the same pool of players. From here on out it's about player development and the commitment to football by the new players. Bob Diaco isn't a good coach, he's a great coach and I have no doubt he will develop these players and get UConn football to the promised land.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom