• Vital

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even with Vital's mis-direction, Okwandu keeps the course slow record of 33:10 ('09). But the trend is slower times since '12. See the other post for the record holders.

upload_2016-9-28_20-51-1.png

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It used to be an event where Calhoun gauged how much work guys put in over the summer. Now it's become a fun run. It's fine. We have won Natty's under both circumstances. Being upset that it's not taken too seriously is like Chief being upset because First Night is co-ed.

Reaction Score
It used to be an event where Calhoun gauged how much work guys put in over the summer. Now it's become a fun run. It's fine. We have won Natty's under both circumstances. Being upset that it's not taken too seriously is like Chief being upset because First Night is co-ed.
I like Calhoun's approach. Larrier improved a lot. The time is still slow but at least it is better. Anyone know what times Ray and Rip used to throw down?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
These times are a bizarre level of slow. I ran JV XC as a sophomore in high school with two different sized shoes and very little interest or motivation and ran 23:00-24:00 5ks. I don't know how college athletes could run it in 28 minutes

Reaction Score
Varsity cross country at the high school level is basically always under 20 minutes for 5k, so Amidah is running JV with you.

Reaction Score
These times are a bizarre level of slow. I ran JV XC as a sophomore in high school with two different sized shoes and very little interest or motivation and ran 23:00-24:00 5ks. I don't know how college athletes could run it in 28 minutes
Can you dunk a basketball though?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Here's a hint: what happens the very next day?

Reaction Score
Looks like these two were chatty:

Juwan Durham 28:55
Mamadou Diarra 28:56

Reaction Score
LOL at the people bashing Phil. He isn't wrong. Good to see that gery is alive and well on the boneyard though. Boy, whatever would we do without THAT dynamic!? My son is the remaining kid in his school that both runs distance (XC and track) and plays varsity basketball. His basketball team does a timed mile run on the first practice every year. He is going to try and lap every kid on his team. That is how out of shape they are and how in shape he is. It is a chasm. His cross country team is currently ranked #1 in their class in NY. One of their alumni ran in the Olympics this year and just missed on a medal to a bunch of African runners surrounded by a cloud of suspicion.

Not many players take pride in conditioning like Ray and Rip used to. Kemba and Shabazz were in good shape but even they were not Ray and Rip level.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
LOL at the people bashing Phil. He isn't wrong. Good to see that gery is alive and well on the boneyard though. Boy, whatever would we do without THAT dynamic!? My son is the remaining kid in his school that both runs distance (XC and track) and plays varsity basketball. His basketball team does a timed mile run on the first practice every year. He is going to try and lap every kid on his team. That is how out of shape they are and how in shape he is. It is a chasm. His cross country team is currently ranked #1 in their class in NY. One of their alumni ran in the Olympics this year and just missed on a medal to a bunch of African runners surrounded by a cloud of suspicion.

Not many players take pride in conditioning like Ray and Rip used to. Kemba and Shabazz were in good shape but even they were not Ray and Rip level.
Please never change.

Reaction Score
Here's some perspective on times: if you don't train for distance, and, you need base mileage for an extended period of time to do so, your time will be slow. It doesn't necessarily mean you're out of shape. In high school, and, not particularly out of shape, I ran XC only my senior year. Always did track (400M being main event). Preseason, my 5k was something like 22:30 or 22:45. End of season, it was 20:00. A year later, I ran the same pre-season race ( on the alumni side, of course), and it was 18:55. Still slow, but, much better, and I ended up running (slow times) of 30:25 for 5 miles that college season. I can't really judge basketball conditioning from cross country times. Apart from a handful of rare athletes, I don't think you'll get that effective of a gauge.

Reaction Score
He was given clearance to play.
I read that. I also read that he definitely won't play this year. This would seem like another piece of evidence in the positive column. I would love to see an article that says he will definitely participate. A quote from Ollie.

I was watching some of his high school tape and he looks way more offensively polished than our current group of big men. Nice 10-foot jumper. Good handle for a big guy. Nice fluid athlete. Not just footage of him running the floor and dunking, he looked comfortable in traffic, in the half court.

Reaction Score
Here's some perspective on times: if you don't train for distance, and, you need base mileage for an extended period of time to do so, your time will be slow. It doesn't necessarily mean you're out of shape. In high school, and, not particularly out of shape, I ran XC only my senior year. Always did track (400M being main event). Preseason, my 5k was something like 22:30 or 22:45. End of season, it was 20:00. A year later, I ran the same pre-season race ( on the alumni side, of course), and it was 18:55. Still slow, but, much better, and I ended up running (slow times) of 30:25 for 5 miles that college season. I can't really judge basketball conditioning from cross country times. Apart from a handful of rare athletes, I don't think you'll get that effective of a gauge.
I do a 50 min 5k then again I walking and I'm 73 with bad knees . I think that's pretty good.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Lol. Please, tell us more about your JV cross country career.

What I'm saying is that I'm slow as and i basically beat the whole team. I doubt they're slow, they just don't give a damn. In either case, that's kind of a bad sign. I want guys who compete no matter what it is that they're doing

Reaction Score
Even for the boneyard this thread has delivered way beyond anybody's wildest expectations. We knew that the self-comparisons to the times the dudes on the team posted is a yearly tradition, but in this thread we are actually posting graphs to demonstrate a gradual digression over time, using our JV track days to call the competitiveness of the current players into question, and, just when you thought we hit the glass ceiling, pasano bragging about how much better conditioned his son is than the kids on his schools varsity basketball team.

No chance a single person ITT lasts half of KO's first practice.

Reaction Score

Running distance has nothing to do with who's in better basketball shape so again, these numbers mean nothing. Congrats to your son though.

Reaction Score
Running distance has nothing to do with who's in better basketball shape so again, these numbers mean nothing. Congrats to your son though.
It is true that the two types of conditioning are not the same but to say they have nothing in common is not exactly true either. Remember back to Ray and Rip running off of screens constantly, all game long. And they weren't exactly short cuts. They ran their defenders into the ground and then they took advantage of that exhaustion. To do that they needed good distance or aerobic conditioning in addition to anaerobic conditioning. Both of them did a fair amount of aerobic conditioning, and they still do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom