(2016 Commit) - Phillips QB Quayvon Skanes is the Public League’s star attraction | The Boneyard

(2016 Commit) - Phillips QB Quayvon Skanes is the Public League’s star attraction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller8:53am via Twitter for iPhone
#UConn commit returns opening kickoff for TD, throws TD pass in win

Michael O'BrienVerified account‏@michaelsobrien
Phillips QB Quayvon Skanes is the Public League’s star attraction. The Wildcats beat Simeon:
http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2015/09/12/obrien-quayvon-skanes-public-leagues-star-attraction/

>>Phillips senior Quayvon Skanes lit up Gately Stadium Saturday night. A massive crowd was on hand to watch the Wildcats play Simeon. It was just Week 3, but it was the biggest game of the season in the Public League.
And Skanes wasted no time announcing to everyone in attendance that he was the star of the show. He took the opening kickoff 85 yards for a touchdown. “I had to do it,” Skanes said. “That kickoff return was my moment. I had the blocks so it was there. When you get a chance like that you have to take it and I did.”<<

>>Simeon spent the rest of the night trying to contain Skanes. The Wolverines defensive line dominated the line of scrimmage for long stretches, busting up plays in the backfield. That’s why Skanes finished with just 74 yards on 25 carries. He was 5-for-7 passing for 53 yards, including an 18-yard touchdown pass to Qadeer Weatherly in the third quarter.<<

>>Skanes, a converted wide receiver, is clearly the Public League’s star football attraction.<<

Reaction Score
Football players learning life lessons while winning at Phillips Academy
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-football-haugh-spt-1120-20151119-column.html

>>Like any smart quarterback, Phillips senior Quayvon Skanes knows how to stay out of harm's way. Every weekday morning, Skanes rides the Green Line L near his house on the South Side to school five train stops and a short walk away. Every night, he gets a ride home from practice from his dad, Quincy. Beyond that, the football star isn't exactly running to daylight. "I don't even come outside unless I have to, that's how tough it is where I live,'' Skanes said. "I'm cautious. You've gotta be.''<<

Reaction Score
Skane's Phillips Academy defeated Marengo 47-13 Saturday in the 4A Illinois State Football Semi- finals. Play 13-0 Althoff Catholic for 4A Illinois State Football State Championship next Friday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-prep-fb-marengo-phillips-20151121-story.html

>>Skanes ran for a 64-yard TD on Phillips' second play. The Connecticut recruit added scoring runs of 24, 49 and 22 yards, and he threw a 6-yard touchdown to Qadeer Weatherly on his only pass of the game.<<

Player of the game: Quayvon Skanes, Phillips, 12 carries, 207 yards, 4 TDs; 1-for-1, 6 yards, TD.

Reaction Score
Any chance this kid is being brought in as a tailback?

Reaction Score
Any chance this kid is being brought in as a tailback?

Originally said to be WR (5-10 175lbs) but who knows when he gets here and gets the Balis treatment.

Reaction Score
Skane's Phillips Academy playing 13-0 Althoff Catholic for 4A Illinois State Football State Championship tonight:

Michael O'Brien ‏@michaelsobrien 1h1 hour ago
Quayvon Skanes gets loose. 41-yard TD run for Phillips.

Michael O'Brien ‏@michaelsobrien 1h1 hour ago
Skanes does it again. Continuing his human highlight film season. 31-yard TD run. Phillips 14, Belleville Althoff 7, 11:05 left in 2Q.

Michael O'Brien ‏@michaelsobrien 39m39 minutes ago
Skanes to Qadeer Weatherly for a 31-YD TD. Phillips 28, Althoff 7 w/1:13 left in 2Q.

Michael O'Brien ‏@michaelsobrien 33m33 minutes ago
Halftime: Phillips 28, Althoff 7. Skanes has 93 yds rushing, 2 TDs. 44yds passing, 1 TD.

Add in 2 punt returns of 6yds and 20 yds

Michael O'Brien ‏@michaelsobrien 12m12 minutes ago
Skanes with a 3-YD TD run. Phillips 35, Althoff 7. This could go running clock.

Michael O'Brien ‏@michaelsobrien 10m10 minutes ago
Wow. Skanes stiff-arms one defender, then fakes another out of his shoes. 36-YD TD run. Phillips 41, Althoff 7, 6:59 left in 3Q.

Michael O'Brien ‏@michaelsobrien 5m5 minutes ago
Phillips QB Quayvon Skanes has 11 rushes for 132 yards, 4 TD’s.

Edit add: Went to running clock.

michaelsobrien10:21pm via Twitter for iPhone
Phillips wins. Wildcats are the first ever CPS state champs in football

Beth_Long10:21pm via Twitter for iPhone
History is made. The Chicago Public league has won a state football championship. Phillips caps off a perfect season 51-7 over Althoff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread, but the story about this school, their football program, the coach and most importantly the kids is pretty remarkable.

Skanes and his team are in the midst of a magical and historical run. Skanes seems to be a special player and a special kid. I love the addition of a leader like him. Switches to QB for his senior year and he has led his public league school to the state title game. Give this article a read: http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com...sational-quayvon-skanes-sends-phillips-state/

Here is another good read on the team and just how low their program was a handful of years ago. There are some similarities to recent struggles of Uconn.: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-football-haugh-spt-1120-20151119-column.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom