2016 Coaching Carousel Begins... | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2016 Coaching Carousel Begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I get all of those except McElwain? Other than Colorado St, is there a west coast connection that I don't know about? How is Oregon a better opportunity than Florida? Plus, he has been good at Florida, but not good enough to want to steal away.

Tough blow for UCF if Frost decides to go back to Oregon after one year. Why doesn't Taggart's name come up more often? He has done a great job at USF.

JM has some Pacific Northwest stints early, early in career (also played/graduated Eastern Washington) but I get your point. Stranger things have happened. There is a new AD @ UF,

Like advocating for Helfrich to come clear cross country to UConn - why? He's never been further east as a coach than Colorado and they just made him rich w/ $11m buyout.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bruce FeldmanVerified account‏@BruceFeldmanCFB
Coaches that may be in mix for #Oregon: #UCF's Scott Frost; #UF's Jim McElwain; #WMU's PJ Fleck #WVU's Dana Holgorsen & BSU's Bryan Harsin.

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 7m 7 minutes ago
Another name to keep an eye on for the #Oregon HC vacancy I'm told is #OhioState DC Greg Schiano. Will have more in my story in a few min.

... and the Thamel view: Five potential coaching candidates for Oregon
Chip Kelly, Harsin, Fleck, Montgomery and Whittingham

Early thoughts on candidates at Oregon - FootballScoop

George Schroeder ‏@GeorgeSchroeder 2h 2 hours ago
Reminder: State of Oregon has ‘Rooney Rule’ law for head coach hires at state univs. Oregon must interview at least 1 minority candidate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carousel gaining speed...
spinning wildly.gif

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Another name to keep an eye on for the #Oregon HC vacancy I'm told is #OhioState DC Greg Schiano. Will have more in my story in a few min.

Reminder: State of Oregon has ‘Rooney Rule’ law for head coach hires at state univs. Oregon must interview at least 1 minority candidate.

What about Brian Kelly for Oregon? It seems like it is pretty toxic in South Bend...I just dont think he has any west coast history.

I still think Kiffin may be in play for this job.

Reaction Score
"The next head coach at Oregon will likely be a sharp, offensive minded coach, who has “an identity” but also is a truly genuine person that will make the University and their fans proud."

Just substitute "UConn" for "Oregon" and voila!

Reaction Score
Kyle Bonagura@BonaguraESPN 14 mins ago
Chip Kelly: "I have not talked to anyone at Oregon other than Mark Helfrich." Not interested in a CFB return
San Francisco 49ers coach Chip Kelly stood by his comments a few weeks ago, when he said he was not interested in returning to college football. Kelly did, however, communicate with Mark Helfrich after he was fired by Oregon on Tuesday. Helfrich was Kelly's offensive coordinator at the school, before he left for the NFL. "I have not talked to anyone at Oregon other than Mark Helfrich," Kelly said.

Reaction Score
Kyle Bonagura@BonaguraESPN 14 mins ago
Chip Kelly: "I have not talked to anyone at Oregon other than Mark Helfrich." Not interested in a CFB return
San Francisco 49ers coach Chip Kelly stood by his comments a few weeks ago, when he said he was not interested in returning to college football. Kelly did, however, communicate with Mark Helfrich after he was fired by Oregon on Tuesday. Helfrich was Kelly's offensive coordinator at the school, before he left for the NFL. "I have not talked to anyone at Oregon other than Mark Helfrich," Kelly said.

While I don't know much about this Helfrich, is he the type of candidate, being a former OC, that would take a position at UConn if Diaco was fired? Or is he just a bad coach. Don't know if he screwed up the Oregon program or if sheet just happened.

Reaction Score
While I don't know much about this Helfrich, is he the type of candidate, being a former OC, that would take a position at UConn if Diaco was fired? Or is he just a bad coach. Don't know if he screwed up the Oregon program or if sheet just happened.

Here's a decent post-mortum: Why Oregon is firing Mark Helfrich

He's never had a coaching job east of Colorado (unless you consider Austria). Tough to see him coming cross country (and he just got a $11+m buyout).

Reaction Score
Joseph Duarte ‏@Joseph_Duarte 9m9 minutes ago
Houston BOR chairman @TilmanJFertitta says hope is to get new football coach hired 'absolutely as soon as possible.' Could be by next week

Joseph Duarte ‏@Joseph_Duarte 8m 8 minutes ago
Asked about possible interest in former LSU coach Les Miles, Houston BOR chairman @TilmanJFertitta says: 'He's on the list.'

Joseph Duarte ‏@Joseph_Duarte 5m 5 minutes ago
Houston BOR chairman @TilmanJFertitta on former LSU coach Les Miles: 'I think we have interest in him and he has interest in us.'

Houston BOR chairman @TilmanJFertitta on former LSU coach Les Miles: 'I think we have interest in him and he has interest in us.'

Joseph Duarte ‏@Joseph_Duarte 6m 6 minutes ago
Fertitta: 'I would love for Briles to be on our super-short list, but until/if/when we can ever get full clarity I can't see us going there'

Reaction Score
Here's a decent post-mortum: Why Oregon is firing Mark Helfrich

He's never had a coaching job east of Colorado (unless you consider Austria). Tough to see him coming cross country (and he just got a $11+m buyout).
With an $11mm buyout, I would not work and would basically fish full time all over the country and in my spare time....
Give clinics to high school coaches and QB's on the spread.

Reaction Score
With an $11mm buyout, I would not work and would basically fish full time all over the country and in my spare time....
Give clinics to high school coaches and QB's on the spread.

In this case you'd have to at least try and get another job so bring your ipad in your tackle box to occasionally email a résumé or two...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
An $11 mill buy out? Wow we really are G5 with only $5 mill.

I think the Cinci buyout was even less, so we are still the kings of G5 I suppose.

Reaction Score
In this case you'd have to at least try and get another job so bring your ipad in your tackle box to occasionally email a résumé or two...
LOL . ... with $11mm, could hit every trout stream for a year.
and LMFAO all the way to the bank.
Pays to have a smart agent.

Cannot leave home without iPad or smartphone Goes without saying.

Reaction Score

Bruce Feldman@BruceFeldmanCFB 20 mins ago
#USF's Willie Taggart is emerging as a strong candidate for the #Oregon HC vacancy, source told @FOXSports. USF is 10-2 this year.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Bruce Feldman@BruceFeldmanCFB 20 mins ago
#USF's Willie Taggart is emerging as a strong candidate for the #Oregon HC vacancy, source told @FOXSports. USF is 10-2 this year.

I was surprised his name hasn't come up more, also i cant believe they aren't in the top 25. two losses to FSU and temple with wins over navy and Memphis, not to bad.

Reaction Score
Joseph Duarte ‏@Joseph_Duarte 9m9 minutes ago
Houston BOR chairman @TilmanJFertitta says hope is to get new football coach hired 'absolutely as soon as possible.' Could be by next week

Joseph Duarte ‏@Joseph_Duarte 8m 8 minutes ago
Asked about possible interest in former LSU coach Les Miles, Houston BOR chairman @TilmanJFertitta says: 'He's on the list.'

Joseph Duarte ‏@Joseph_Duarte 6m 6 minutes ago
Fertitta: 'I would love for Briles to be on our super-short list, but until/if/when we can ever get full clarity I can't see us going there'

Sources: Kiffin, Miles candidates for Houston job

Reaction Score
Can Matt Rhule and Willie Taggart please get a coaching job somewhere else and leave our conference please. I can see Rhule at Purdue and Taggart going to Oregon.

Reaction Score
Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB
#FAU has fired head coach Charlie Partridge. Expect #OhioState co-DC Luke Fickell is get strong consideration for the vacancy.

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB
Other possible options for #FAU: Former #Miami HC Randy Shannon, UF DC Geoff Collins, #UK OC Eddie Gran, #Michigan pass game CO Jedd Fisch.

Saw Mario Cristobol's name mentioned as well.

Bruce Feldman@BruceFeldmanCFB 1 min ago
#FAU would prefer a guy with head coaching experience & may target Jim Leavitt, Mario Cristobal or Randy Shannon, per source.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Sniffing around:

Delaware whacked their head coach Dave Brock back in the middle of October. In a recent interview - Delaware Athletic Director Chrissi Rawak said that UD’s pool of candidates is down to about six. The article reports possible candidates include Coastal Carolina head coach Joe Moglia, Richmond head coach Danny Rocco, Chattanooga head coach Russ Heusman, Tennessee defensive coordinator Bob Shoop, Sam Houston State offensive coordinator Phil Longo and Maryland assistants Pete Lembo and Mike London.

Some interesting names in that group for 1AA opening.

Delaware (FCS): Sources tell FootballScoop Delaware has been targeting Richmond head coach Danny Rocco to become their new head coach. Richmond plays at North Dakota Saturday in the second round of the FCS playoffs. In 5 years at Richmond, Rocco has won 42 games and a win this weekend would guarantee the Spiders their second straight 10 win season.

Delaware: The school is making a strong run at Richmond head coach Danny Rocco, according to The News Journal. Rocco is in his fifth season at Richmond and plays in the second round of the FCS playoffs this weekend. Rocco said this week: “I think right now what I plan on doing is doing everything in my power to extend our season. And when the season is over, I want to sit down with all of the appropriate people to be able to make the best decision for me and my family moving forward. Tomorrow is promised to no one. And I do believe that I will have some options when the season is over.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom