2015 NCAA tournament | The Boneyard

2015 NCAA tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Our former conference mates, RIT, pulled off the biggest upset, defeating the #1 see overall, Minnesota State-Mankato, by the score of 2-1. Scored the game winning goal about 3/4 through the 3rd period.

Yale and QU lost yesterday. Yale played well against BU, sending the game into OT, 3-2. QU was holding up well against North Dakota until a soft goal that made it 2-0 and a PP goal not much later derailed the Bobcats' effort.

BU is the first team to punch a ticket to the Frozen Four this year in Boston, defeating Minnesota-Duluth, 3-2. Game winning goal scored with 2 and a half minutes left in the game on a power play.

What the heck is up with the NCHC? Incredibly dominant this year.

Reaction Score
I went to Manchester on Friday and Providence Saturday and Sunday. The teams from out west can absolutely fly. Minnesota, Minnesota-Duluth, and Denver have speed that just jumps off the ice. Denver made BC look like they were skating in quick sand.

Although they lost badly today, BC's Noah Hanifin is a tremendous defensemen. Very confident with the puck and graceful skater. It is no wonder why he will be the 3rd pick in the NHL draft this year.

Miami (OH) almost had the greatest comeback against Providence. Down 6-2 they pulled the goalie with about 12:50 left in the third. Played over 4 minutes with an empty net until they scored their first empty net goal. Miami's players made a couple great saves with an empty net. Got the game to 6-5 before Providence finally was able to score an empty net goal with about 10 seconds left. Miami played 8:30 of the final period with an empty net and scored 3 empty net goals. Miami had a chance to score with about 30 seconds left to tie it but the Miami player could not tap it in from the crease. Incredible finish.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Minnesota is an incredibly high-skill team who has absolutely no ability to play as a team. They looked completely atrocious at times last night.

Yale was extremely good, if they had a couple of scorers, they'd be deadly. The best defense BU has played thus far, but offensively challenged. I can see why they won the title in 2013, that team and that system is incredibly hard to play against.

Reaction Score
So the replay rules for college hockey are pretty liberal! RIT's winning goal was originally waived off due to goalie interference. I'm not sure if a penalty was actually called but the ref emphatically waived off the goal. The refs spent a few minutes watching the replay and overturned the call .... goal!

Through replay they discovered there was very little contact fron an RIT skater before the Minn St player backed into his own goalie while the puck was entering the net. I didn't think they could overturn penalty calls.

Reaction Score
North Dakota won their regional last night and Providence won theirs today. One regional final left. Go RIT Tigers?!

Reaction Score
So the replay rules for college hockey are pretty liberal! RIT's winning goal was originally waived off due to goalie interference. I'm not sure if a penalty was actually called but the ref emphatically waived off the goal. The refs spent a few minutes watching the replay and overturned the call .... goal!

Through replay they discovered there was very little contact fron an RIT skater before the Minn St player backed into his own goalie while the puck was entering the net. I didn't think they could overturn penalty calls.
They didn't overturn a penalty. A goal can be disallowed for goaltender interference that does not result in a penalty. Since the contact was initiated by the MN State player that led to the Mankato guy knocking into the goalie, the play was reversed on review. It's the right call to waive that off in real time if you're not sure who initiated the contact that led to the goaltender interference, but upon review the right call was made, no penalty was ever assessed.

Reaction Score
Giving Providence home ice seems to have paid off for them.
And PC wasn't even the host for the regional. If they were, they'd have automatically been placed there. That said, it'd be interesting if UConn ever bid on a regional at Hartford. Were they to be awarded the site and made the tournament, their games would be guaranteed to be there.

Reaction Score
Yup, Brown is typically the host when the regionals come to the Dunk. I think PC generally avoids bidding for hockey because they bid with the arena for basketball.

And yup, hockey is opposite to basketball in this respect: you can't play in a venue in hoops if you are its host.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom