2015-2016 Season Review | The Boneyard

2015-2016 Season Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Getting swept in the first round of HE Playoffs for the second year in a row (it hurts even more getting swept at XL Center) and only winning 11 games this year after winning just 10 last year I'm hoping things will trend upward more than one game a year starting next season. If we keep going on that pace by the time we get to a .500 season the " Flying Automobile" will be the common way to travel to games.

Reaction Score
This is only UCONN's 2nd year in hockey east. I believe by year 5 we will have a good sample size to judge Coach Cavanaugh and the Hockey program in general. By year 5, all the players will be scholarship players recruited specifically for hockey east, and we will also have our full complement of scholarships. In addition the team will have built-up some player depth. The seniors that graduated this year were non-scholarship Atlantic hockey level players. Building a program takes time and patience. There are no quick fixes for building a solid Hockey East Program.

Reaction Score
Hockey East who is talking about Hockey East? I'm talking about Sacred Heart, Army,Alabama/Huntsville's of the world and getting beat by those teams. No excuse for that. Just think if we didn't play Arizona State (3) times and Alabama- Huntsville the team would only have SEVEN wins all season. That's reality!

Reaction Score
That is "reality" and I have no problem with UCONN's record. 5 years is a good benchmark for a look in at the overall health of the program. Be Patient and stay the course. That's how you build a program. And yes, sometimes you have to take steps backward in order to move forward.

Reaction Score
Where were you to cry about Bruce Marshall??
Sitting by a fire, sipping scotch and reading about UConn hockey in the Courant...:D...his quote...not mine

Reaction Score
A big shout out has to go out to the UCONN Athletic Dept, Marketing & Promotions, Ticket Sales Dept, The XL Group etc... for doing a fantastic job the past 2 years of putting people in the seats at the XL Center for the UConn Mens Ice Hockey Games. You know they are doing an incredible job when we have the best home attendance in the conference with a disappointing 10-5-22 home record over the past two years. Congrats to all the people behind the scene who make the XL a fun experience. The resources UCONN provides to be successful is outstanding.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A big shout out has to go out to the UCONN Athletic Dept, Marketing & Promotions, Ticket Sales Dept, The XL Group etc... for doing a fantastic job the past 2 years of putting people in the seats at the XL Center for the UConn Mens Ice Hockey Games. You know they are doing an incredible job when we have the best home attendance in the conference with a disappointing 10-5-22 home record over the past two years. Congrats to all the people behind the scene who make the XL a fun experience. The resources UCONN provides to be successful is outstanding.
The attendance doesn't surprise me...it's UConn fans getting to support UConn. Since in your other screen name @hockeyfan44 you have admitted how long you have followed UConn sports you should know that hard core/die hard UConn fans support their program no matter what. They have done it in basketball back when Dom Perno was pulling the original Pasqualoni and running the hoops program into the ground. They show up for football games with Diaco rebuilding the program post-Pasqualoni. They will do this with hockey as Cav builds his program.

Reaction Score
It has ZERO to do with Cavanaugh. UCONN has a successful athletic business model in place regardless of who is coaching their teams. The new AD is a bottom line guy, finance guy, phenomenal fundraiser who isn't fooled by smoke and mirrors. If your not winning you wont to be on his team it's that simple. Also Diaco had a winning record this year he has showed progress. The players, refs other coaches from the opposing teams respect Diaco they don't view him as a clown.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It has ZERO to do with Cavanaugh. UCONN has a successful athletic business model in place regardless of who is coaching their teams. The new AD is a bottom line guy, finance guy, phenomenal fundraiser who isn't fooled by smoke and mirrors. If your not winning you want to be on his team it's that simple.
Thanks for telling us old news..stuff that the posters in this board all know too well @hockeyfan44 / @HuskyCamper . If you spend some time in the other boards on here..specifically the football, basketball and Conference Realignment boards you will see the same active posters you see here in the hockey board.

Reaction Score
It has ZERO to do with Cavanaugh. UCONN has a successful athletic business model in place regardless of who is coaching their teams. The new AD is a bottom line guy, finance guy, phenomenal fundraiser who isn't fooled by smoke and mirrors. If your not winning you wont to be on his team it's that simple. Also Diaco had a winning record this year he has showed progress. The players, refs other coaches from the opposing teams respect Diaco they don't view him as a clown.
Funny thing @hockeyfan44 / @HuskyCamper you may have changed your screen name but you forgot to change your same old broken tune. Nice try though....

Reaction Score
That's right, the coach is irrelevant to the overall success of the team. In fact, Jerry York's four titles at BC were won because of the business model Flipper set up during the time he was there. Also, 100% agree Diaco's 6-7 record this season was a winning record.

Reaction Score
That's right, the coach is irrelevant to the overall success of the team. In fact, Jerry York's four titles at BC were won because of the business model Flipper set up during the time he was there. Also, 100% agree Diaco's 6-7 record this season was a winning record.
You know where this is going...it's so easy to see...he's like a broken record.

Reaction Score
Although I am a UConn diehard, I hate to admit that this past weekend's series exceeded the number of UConn hockey games I had been to since the jump to Hockey East. Regardless of the outcome, I am all in going forward. I had a blast this past weekend and will be getting some sort of ticket package next season. The XL may be a dated arena, but as a hockey venue it is pretty decent

Reaction Score
Although I am a UConn diehard, I hate to admit that this past weekend's series exceeded the number of UConn hockey games I had been to since the jump to Hockey East. Regardless of the outcome, I am all in going forward. I had a blast this past weekend and will be getting some sort of ticket package next season. The XL may be a dated arena, but as a hockey venue it is pretty decent
That's awesome! Welcome aboard

Reaction Score
From a fan's perspective, XL is a decent place to see a game - the steep pitch is great for hockey. The league is awesome to follow, it's like following the old Big East but the teams are even closer geographically.

Reaction Score
The HE has to do something about it's referees. I know I am not the only one, but I've never seen an instance where a ref (or referees) put himself above the home team (or the game) so blatantly as in game 2 of the season-ending series.

Reaction Score
Your on the right track Butch just keep digging you will find out why the ref's wouldn:t give UCONN the time of day in addition to all the $hitty calls against them and the blatant no calls against VT.

Reaction Score
Your on the right track Butch just keep digging you will find out why the ref's wouldn:t give UCONN the time of day in addition to all the $hitty calls against them and the blatant no calls against VT.
Every HE coach gets the same treatment...like I told you when you were here under @hockeyfan44...why don't you take a visit to the USCHO forums and do some reading. You will find one common bitch in every HE team thread...the officiating. In the UNH thread their fans think UConn gets more calls their way because of who their coach is.

Reaction Score
OMG HockeyCamper 22 give it a rest! Tedious!

Reaction Score

They were relatives of yours?

Reaction Score
This is only UCONN's 2nd year in hockey east. I believe by year 5 we will have a good sample size to judge Coach Cavanaugh and the Hockey program in general. By year 5, all the players will be scholarship players recruited specifically for hockey east, and we will also have our full complement of scholarships. In addition the team will have built-up some player depth. The seniors that graduated this year were non-scholarship Atlantic hockey level players. Building a program takes time and patience. There are no quick fixes for building a solid Hockey East Program.
2013 - 2014 1st Rd Atlantic Hockey Playoffs swept at home (0-2) by Air Force where UCONN was favored/higher seed, 2014-2015 1st Rd HE Playoffs swept at UNH (0-2), 2015-2016 1st Rd HE Playoffs swept at home (0-2) by VT where UCONN was the higher seed - UCONN was the only HOME Team in the first round of the 2016 HE Playoffs not to advance ...... Believe me I'm not the only one who is a bottom line guy tick, tick,tick,tick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger