dannykuconn

Cheerman of Board
Reaction Score
Not Too much longer.
zzzzzzzy.jpg

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Definitely not a height challenged team. UCONN will be bigger than most teams easily next year, including SC, contrary to popular belief.

Reaction Score
Definitely not a height challenged team. UCONN will be bigger than most teams easily next year, including SC, contrary to popular belief.

I hope you are correct regarding SC height. Can anyone post their roster with heights?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
2014-15 Women's Basketball Roster

Name Hgt. Class
Hometown/Last School

0 India Farmer 6-0 SO F
1 Bianca Cuevas 5-6 FR G
2 Olivia Gaines 5-7 SR G
3 Kaydra Duckett 5-8 FR G
4 Doniyah Cliney 6-0 FR G
5 Khadijah Sessions 5-8 JR G
15 Tiffany Davis 5-7 SO G
22 A'ja Wilson 6-5 FR G/F
23 Tina Roy 5-11 JR G
24 Aleighsa Welch 6-0 SR F
25 Tiffany Mitchell 5-9 JR G
31 Asia Dozier 6-0 JR G/F
33 Elem Ibiam 6-4 SR C
40 Jatarie White 6-4 FR F
41 Alaina Coates 6-4 SO C

Coaches
Dawn Staley - Head Coach
Lisa Boyer - Associate Head Coach
Nikki McCray-Penson - Assistant Coach
Darius Taylor - Assistant Coach
Hudson Jacobs - Video Coordinator
Cynthia Jordan - Director of Operations
Ariana Moore - Special Assistant to Head Coach

Note - From 2014-2015 season.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
2014-15 Women's Basketball Roster

Coaches
Dawn Staley - Head Coach
Lisa Boyer - Associate Head Coach
Nikki McCray-Penson - Assistant Coach
Darius Taylor - Assistant Coach
Hudson Jacobs - Video Coordinator
Cynthia Jordan - Director of Operations
Ariana Moore - Special Assistant to Head Coach

Note - From 2014-2015 season.

I do not see a conditioning coach listed but, as we all now know, Dawn recently hired one from Maryland.

Permit some total speculation, based on no inside information.

I believe that Dawn may have benefited from a well-earned loosening of the AD purse strings. It is conceivable - at least to me - that her outstanding record (using wins and attendance figures as criteria) has justified a more generous budget. One investment may have been the new conditioning coach. Other areas may include recruitment (e.g., a wider net, more home visits by coaches, more official visits by recruits, etc.), practice facilities, or staff salaries.

I welcome comments, especially from our garnet USC-E posters.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Next year we will have 7 players over 6 feet.. (Not including Gray and Davis obviously)

6' India Farmer - Guard
6' Doniyah Cliney - Guard
6' Asia Dozier - Guard/Forward
6'5 A'ja Wilson - Forward
6'4 Jatarie White - Forward
6'4 Alaina Coates - Center
6'2 Sarah Imovbioh - Forward

Farmer only plays during garbage time. R/S Freshmen Cliney will probably see limited action depending on how quickly she acclimates.

I'm looking forward to White entering the post rotation.. she has a different skill set than our other posts. Skills this team needs to take the next step.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Next year we will have 7 players over 6 feet.. (Not including Gray and Davis obviously)

6' India Farmer - Guard
6' Doniyah Cliney - Guard
6' Asia Dozier - Guard/Forward
6'5 A'ja Wilson - Forward
6'4 Jatarie White - Forward
6'4 Alaina Coates - Center
6'2 Sarah Imovbioh - Forward

Farmer only plays during garbage time. R/S Freshmen Cliney will probably see limited action depending on how quickly she acclimates.

I'm looking forward to White entering the post rotation.. she has a different skill set than our other posts. Skills this team needs to take the next step.
Skills such as?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Skills such as?

She has great foot work and post moves under the basketball... but she's also good facing the basket. She has a nice jumper inside and behind the arc.. just needs consistency. She'll mostly be under the goal for SC this year but the threat of her going outside and scoring is there.. unlike with Coates.

Reaction Score
She has great foot work and post moves under the basketball... but she's also good facing the basket. She has a nice jumper inside and behind the arc.. just needs consistency. She'll mostly be under the goal for SC this year but the threat of her going outside and scoring is there.. unlike with Coates.

"and behind the arc" Really ? White has a nice jumper from behind the arc ? In the interest of accuracy, how many nice jumpers did she make last year from behind the arc ?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
"and behind the arc" Really ? White has a nice jumper from behind the arc ? In the interest of accuracy, how many nice jumpers did she make last year from behind the arc ?

Why are people like you on here so quick to jump down throats and discredit anything said by fans of other teams. This is the 2nd time you've come at me with your snarkiness. You need to relax dude.

Nuyoika asked a question. I answered it. "In the interest of accuracy" White barely played last season... So YOU, yes YOU specifically have no idea what she can do. Are you an SC fan, because I am. Obviously. I've attended many SC practices and I've had several opportunities to see White play in a non formal setting. I based my analysis of White from what I've seen recently.... not some scouting report or high school tape.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Why are people like you on here so quick to jump down throats and discredit anything said by fans of other teams. This is the 2nd time you've come at me with your snarkiness. You need to relax dude.

Nuyoika asked a question. I answered it. "In the interest of accuracy" White barely played last season... So YOU, yes YOU specifically have no idea what she can do. Are you an SC fan, because I am. Obviously. I've attended many SC practices and I've had several opportunities to see White play in a non formal setting. I based my analysis of White from what I've seen recently.... not some scouting report or high school tape.

Im interested to see what White can do this year. She was the two time Miss NC & Gatorade State player of the year.... so obviously she's pretty talented. Hopefully she's completely healthy

Reaction Score

You made a statement. I asked you a question regarding that statement. You chose not to answer that question.
You're correct in that I watched White play for only a few minutes last year and I was surprised when you stated that "She has a nice jumper inside and behind the arc". Surprised because there are very few posts players that can shoot from behind the arc with even remote effectiveness.

I would have asked the same question, of a UConn fan, if they had stated that Butler had a nice jumper, from behind the arc, when she played at Georgetown. And I probably would have received a similar response. It has nothing to do with you being a fan of another team.

I can understand being somewhat defensive when posting on another team's board but don't let it reach the paranoia stage.
I don't "discredit anything said by fans of other teams". In fact, the only part of your White critique that I questioned was the 3 pt. shooting. Which you either wouldn't or couldn't provide objective support for. There are many opinion's offered on this board from both UConn and non UConn fans. I hold both parties to the same standard. Prove it.

Would it be fair to say that the vast majority of SCe fans thought that outside shooting was the area that the team needed the most help in last year ? I think it would be. If that's true, and if White had an effective 3 pt. shot, then why didn't she play more when she could have provided exactly what the team needed the most ? In fact, White played 184 minutes last year and didn't even take one shot from behind the arc. How do you reconcile White having an effective 3 pt. shot with her not playing very much while, at the same time, being able to provide exactly what the team needed the most ? And if she does have an effective 3 pt. shot, why didn't she have even one attempt in 184 minutes ? It doesn't add up.

If asking to provide objective support, for a statement of something that would be unusual (a post player with a good 3 pt. shot), qualifies me as one of the "people like you" then I'm thrilled to be a member. One more thing. Please, no more advice on what I "need" to do.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Jatarie White took 0 tres in 184 minutes last year. She shot .408 overall. I don't expect her shooting to be transformational for the team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I believe she was pretty consistent from behind the arc last year.

HGN

Reaction Score
Not Too much longer. View attachment 10081
May not be the biggest or the tallest roster , which I think may go to the Gamecocks , but it certainly is going to be among the deepest and most talented. Evenly distributed among classes as well : 3 Fr ; 4 So ; 3 Jr. ; and 3 Sr.... With starters and starter potential at each level. Two(2) AA's and a possible third (Tuck). USAB Gold and Silver medalists ( Kia; Stewie; Mo ; and Naphessa). And the National HS POY in KLS.

Enough to make you all excited and tingly inside.

LET'S GO HUSKIES !

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
You made a statement. I asked you a question regarding that statement. You chose not to answer that question.
You're correct in that I watched White play for only a few minutes last year and I was surprised when you stated that "She has a nice jumper inside and behind the arc". Surprised because there are very few posts players that can shoot from behind the arc with even remote effectiveness.

I would have asked the same question, of a UConn fan, if they had stated that Butler had a nice jumper, from behind the arc, when she played at Georgetown. And I probably would have received a similar response. It has nothing to do with you being a fan of another team.

I can understand being somewhat defensive when posting on another team's board but don't let it reach the paranoia stage.
I don't "discredit anything said by fans of other teams". In fact, the only part of your White critique that I questioned was the 3 pt. shooting. Which you either wouldn't or couldn't provide objective support for. There are many opinion's offered on this board from both UConn and non UConn fans. I hold both parties to the same standard. Prove it.

Would it be fair to say that the vast majority of SCe fans thought that outside shooting was the area that the team needed the most help in last year ? I think it would be. If that's true, and if White had an effective 3 pt. shot, then why didn't she play more when she could have provided exactly what the team needed the most ? In fact, White played 184 minutes last year and didn't even take one shot from behind the arc. How do you reconcile White having an effective 3 pt. shot with her not playing very much while, at the same time, being able to provide exactly what the team needed the most ? And if she does have an effective 3 pt. shot, why didn't she have even one attempt in 184 minutes ? It doesn't add up.

If asking to provide objective support, for a statement of something that would be unusual (a post player with a good 3 pt. shot), qualifies me as one of the "people like you" then I'm thrilled to be a member. One more thing. Please, no more advice on what I "need" to do.

There's this common belief that most bigs can't shoot threes, so I understand your skepticism. But truth be told, there are more bigs capable of shooting threes than you think, just off the top of my head I can think of Duke's Stevens, FSU's Bulgak and Illinois' White.. Just because you don't see a player do something during the game doesn't mean she's incapable of doing it. White was a top 10 player and McDonalds All-American, she's obviously talented. White was in a walking boot for half the season and then suffered through a bout with the flu after that. During that time she wasn't practicing or working out with the team. She didn't return to work outs until very late in the regular season and she never quite got into "mid season form" which is why she only played briefly. She was very rusty and Dawn has this thing about playing players that go hard during practice (I.e. Dozier).

My OP says that White has a nice jumper inside and outside.. which is what I see when Dawn has her players go through shooting drills. Her shot has a high arc and her form looks natural... I said her shot is "nice", meaning that she looks comfortable behind the arc... but CONSISTENCY is an issue. Some players approach the arc with apprehension, and that shows, but I didn't get that feeling from White. She's eager to join the guards during the three point drills and she even knocks down a few. I think you misinterpreted my original post... No, you will not see White jacking up (and making) threes like Mosqueda-Lewis because she can't and that's not her go to game. She is a post player so she'll do most of her damage in the paint. Dawn is very intent on playing this specific style of getting the ball inside. She doesn't ask a lot from her bigs.. they just need to be there for the feed. She wants her guards to get the ball inside to the bigs. Our guards barely shoot threes because Dawn knows her strength is in the paint. She screams from the sideline, "Get it in the paint"... So if our guards barely shoot threes then you're definitely not about to see White or Wilson letting one go from behind the arc regularly... but the both of them can. It's not their most polished skill, but they can. Maybe we'll see more offensive creativity this year, maybe not. I would love to see us use Wilson the way Duke uses Stevens. But I've noticed that Wilson lacks confidence in her shooting.

You can choose to believe me or not. Honestly I don't care. I answered the question that the other poster asked me and that's all I can do. Unfortunately I have no video proof of White knocking down threes during the drills and I won't pretend to be some insider of Gamecock WBB.. But I do have access to the team beyond just the casual fan. I won't say in what capacity (because I'm here as a fan, not a journalist) but just know that I'm simply a student at USC and covering the WBB team is a part of my "beat". So I attend their practices, I know these girls, I see them in the dining hall and I hang around after practice to see them cool down and shoot around.

Last edited by a moderator:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
May not be the biggest or the tallest roster , which I think may go to the Gamecocks , but it certainly is going to be among the deepest and most talented. Evenly distributed among classes as well : 3 Fr ; 4 So ; 3 Jr. ; and 3 Sr.... With starters and starter potential at each level. Two(2) AA's and a possible third (Tuck). USAB Gold and Silver medalists ( Kia; Stewie; Mo ; and Naphessa). And the National HS POY in KLS.

Enough to make you all excited and tingly inside.

LET'S GO HUSKIES !

I haven't calculated average team heights between the two but I think you guys are a little bigger than us this year. I know for sure that UCONN has more players 6'0 or taller than SC.

Reaction Score
There's this common belief that most bigs can't shoot threes, so I understand your skepticism. But truth be told, there are more bigs capable of shooting threes than you think, just off the top of my head I can think of Duke's Stevens, FSU's Bulgak and Illinois' White.. Just because you don't see a player do something during the game doesn't mean she's incapable of doing it. White was a top 10 player and McDonalds All-American, she's obviously talented. White was in a walking boot for half the season and then suffered through a bout with the flu after that. During that time she wasn't practicing or working out with the team. She didn't return to work outs until very late in the regular season and she never quite got into "mid season form" which is why she only played briefly. She was very rusty and Dawn has this thing about playing players that go hard during practice (I.e. Dozier).

My OP says that White has a nice jumper inside and outside.. which is what I see when Dawn has her players go through shooting drills. Her shot has a high arc and her form looks natural... I said her shot is "nice", meaning that she looks comfortable behind the arc... but CONSISTENCY is an issue. Some players approach the arc with apprehension, and that shows, but I didn't get that feeling from White. She's eager to join the guards during the three point drills and she even knocks down a few. I think you misinterpreted my original post... No, you will not see White jacking up (and making) threes like Mosqueda-Lewis because she can't and that's not her go to game. She is a post player so she'll do most of her damage in the paint. Dawn is very intent on playing this specific style of getting the ball inside. She doesn't ask a lot from her bigs.. they just need to be there for the feed. She wants her guards to get the ball inside to the bigs. Our guards barely shoot threes because Dawn knows her strength is in the paint. She screams from the sideline, "Get it in the paint"... So if our guards barely shoot threes then you're definitely not about to see White or Wilson letting one go from behind the arc regularly... but the both of them can. It's not their most polished skill, but they can. Maybe we'll see more offensive creativity this year, maybe not. I would love to see us use Wilson the way Duke uses Stevens. But I've noticed that Wilson lacks confidence in her shooting.

You can choose to believe me or not. Honestly I don't care. I answered the question that the other poster asked me and that's all I can do. Unfortunately I have no video proof of White knocking down threes during the drills and I won't pretend to be some insider of Gamecock WBB.. But I do have access to the team beyond just the casual fan. I won't say in what capacity (because I'm here as a fan, not a journalist) but just know that I'm simply a student at USC and covering the WBB team is a part of my "beat". So I attend their practices, I know these girls, I see them in the dining hall and I hang around after practice to see them cool down and shoot around.

So we're in agreement. We're not likely to see White shooting 3's for the Gamecock's this season outside of a situation where the clock is running out.
I have watched Wilson play in a fair amount of games and, imo, you don't want to see her used the way Duke uses Stevens. Azura has a legitimate
3 pt. game. Wilson, at this point, hasn't demonstrated one. Wilson is much more effective around the basket then she is when she's outside.
Just for clarification, when you say that "you're definitely not about to see White or Wilson letting one go from behind the arc regularly... but the both of them can", do you mean that they both can shoot the 3 at a competent rate ?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Dawn's offensive strategy is to work around the paint and move from high percentage shots to low percentage shots. In her mind, there's ALWAYS a high percentage shot available. If you're not a high percentage three point shooter then you shouldn't be shooting threes, according to Dawn. I think I've stated in my OP that White doesn't shoot the three consistently, but I've seen her shoot threes. Same for Wilson. White will never shoot it consistently enough to be a specialist, something I never said. That's not her game, but the point remains that I've seen her shoot them. So it's not like she can't. You are correct, Wilson has not demonstrated she can shoot threes in game but she has during drills.

A'ja is best in the paint because few people can match her there, and she's only a sophomore. But I've seen her shoot threes as well, she's not at a competent rate yet but she's already a better shooter than when she arrived. WAY better. Her issue is confidence. She just needs to shoot. She's apprehensive around the arc at times. Dawn wants her to just shoot the ball, Dawn is confident A'ja's shots will drop once she builds confidence in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom