2014-2015 UConn MHoc Season | The Boneyard

2014-2015 UConn MHoc Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is a link to the break down of the roster after the season ended:
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/hockey-east-here-we-come-roster-make-up-for-next-season.54982/

There are some interesting changes Cav has made to the 2014-2015 off season roster Medic put the link up for. There were 22 returning players on the roster that played in the last game against Robert Morris. There are 15 guys listed on the 2014-2015 off season roster.
Here are the guys no longer listed on the roster:
Seniors: Def Kevin Tuohy (0 G, 1 A 1 pt)

Juniors: FwdJoe Birmingham (0 G, 0 A o pts); Fwd Tyler Bouchard (4 G, 3 A 7 pts);
Def Chris Bond (0 G, 0 A 0 pts)

Sophmores: Fwd Brett Skibba (1 G, 4 A 5 pts); Fwd Sean Gaffney (3 G, 3 A 6 pts),
Def Christian Neumann (0 G, 1 A, 1 pt)

Reaction Score
I thought a couple of those guys were pretty good players. Bouchard sort of surprises me, so does Skibba.

Reaction Score
It's all about changing the culture in the program, been going on for a few years now and will need to continue moving into hockey east and the future. Comes from both the players and the coaches. as far as scholarships, both gaffney and skibba were on full scholarships and will have them honored by ucon. its an uphill battle but moving in the right direction.

Reaction Score
It's all about changing the culture in the program, been going on for a few years now and will need to continue moving into hockey east and the future. Comes from both the players and the coaches. as far as scholarships, both gaffney and skibba were on full scholarships and will have them honored by ucon. its an uphill battle but moving in the right direction.
A bit surprised these 2 were not kept around by Cav. I hope they end up finding a place to play if they decide to continue playing college hockey. If Berard gets a job somewhere I wouldn't be surprised to see these 2 end up at that school...as they were essentially his recruits.

Reaction Score
It really isn't that surprising that guys leave/are asked to leave when a new coach comes in. last year was a bit of an unusual situation for UConn and Cav. The class was set before he arrived and it was the last season in the Atlantic and there were only a few upperclassmen anyway. It is probably more about getting A. Cav-type players (fast quick guys with stick handling skills) vs Berard's preference for big bangers; and B. upgrading to Hockey East level talent. Everyone but last year's freshmen were recruited to play in the AHA. We still need another Goalie in my mind.

Reaction Score
It really isn't that surprising that guys leave/are asked to leave when a new coach comes in. last year was a bit of an unusual situation for UConn and Cav. The class was set before he arrived and it was the last season in the Atlantic and there were only a few upperclassmen anyway. It is probably more about getting A. Cav-type players (fast quick guys with stick handling skills) vs Berard's preference for big bangers; and B. upgrading to Hockey East level talent. Everyone but last year's freshmen were recruited to play in the AHA. We still need another Goalie in my mind.
That's why it surprised me a bit about Gaffney and Skibba...2 guys recruited with HE in mind. I agree 100% about a goalie. I figured Cav would pair the roster down after the season ended. It is his show now..HE is the game he was hired to coach and win at.

Reaction Score
That's why it surprised me a bit about Gaffney and Skibba...2 guys recruited with HE in mind. I agree 100% about a goalie. I figured Cav would pair the roster down after the season ended. It is his show now..HE is the game he was hired to coach and win at.
Well, but look at the guy we're getting from BC...and quite honestly they have pretty much the pick of the litter when it comes to recruiting. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Those guys might not have fit Cav's system well, they were recruited by Berard and may not have been happy playing for Cav. Lots of things happen when there is a coaching change.

Reaction Score
Well, but look at the guy we're getting from BC...and quite honestly they have pretty much the pick of the litter when it comes to recruiting. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Those guys might not have fit Cav's system well, they were recruited by Berard and may not have been happy playing for Cav. Lots of things happen when there is a coaching change.
Oh yeah I know...I do like the transfer...and I truly believe that Cav when all is said and done..as long as they give him the proper on-campus barn/team facility will do some GREAT things at UCONN.

Reaction Score
UConnMHOC 3:35pm via TweetDeck
Welcome @DDrake03, our newest Husky added to the roster today for 2014-15 #BleedBlue uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-hocke…

Bu8UPjvIAAAAAm4.jpg

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=219791

Reaction Score
I thought he was going to play in the USHL another year, but I guess not. sounds like a good one!

Reaction Score
It looks to me based on the roster especially with the late edition of another d man (Drake) who is a Cavanaugh recruit - its painting a pretty clear picture a few of the upper class dman will be phased out quietly to make room for the Hockey East recruits ?? I suspect this could be true for the forwards as well. If Cav cut scholarship players im sure he wont have any problems having some of the upper classmen watching games this year from the stands.

Reaction Score
Actually, last year was a bit unusual and its sort of hard to say how many of the frosh were actually scholarship players. And there were a couple of other frosh who were pretty good. Nichols for example looks to be a pretty good goalie and Kunnas and Norris both showed some skills in addition to Segalla, obviously. I had heard that UConn had only 5 and some upperclassmen got pieces. But clearly UConn seems to be loading up on top flight defensemen. Gotta wonder where the points come from this year, though. One other roster thought. I notice that Richardson, the BC transfer is listed so I assume that means he is eligible. And I know hockey has a bunch of different rules, so I assume you can play immediately as a transfer.

Reaction Score
Actually, last year was a bit unusual and its sort of hard to say how many of the frosh were actually scholarship players. And there were a couple of other frosh who were pretty good. Nichols for example looks to be a pretty good goalie and Kunnas and Norris both showed some skills in addition to Segalla, obviously. I had heard that UConn had only 5 and some upperclassmen got pieces. But clearly UConn seems to be loading up on top flight defensemen. Gotta wonder where the points come from this year, though. One other roster thought. I notice that Richardson, the BC transfer is listed so I assume that means he is eligible. And I know hockey has a bunch of different rules, so I assume you can play immediately as a transfer.

Natalie Butler is not eligible to play this year, but she is listed on the UConn women's basketball roster for this coming season. As you say, sports other than football and basketball have different rules about transferring, so Richardson may indeed be eligible. I wouldn't take his listing on the roster as proof of eligibility just yet.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think they're loading up on the blue line in anticipation that the first couple of years they'll be under the sword in conference play quite a bit against older, more skilled teams.

Reaction Score
I think they're loading up on the blue line in anticipation that the first couple of years they'll be under the sword in conference play quite a bit against older, more skilled teams.
Agreed. But you still need to put the puck in the net sometimes.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Agreed. But you still need to put the puck in the net sometimes.

Better to lose a bunch of games 1-0 and 3-2 than 4-0 and 5-1. I guess.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I notice that Richardson, the BC transfer is listed so I assume that means he is eligible. And I know hockey has a bunch of different rules, so I assume you can play immediately as a transfer.

Division I football, basketball, baseball and men's hockey all require a year in residence before a transfer is eligible to play - being listed on the roster is meaningless in terms of eligibility. It just means he's in the program.

Reaction Score
Division I football, basketball, baseball and men's hockey all require a year in residence before a transfer is eligible to play - being listed on the roster is meaningless in terms of eligibility. It just means he's in the program.

Not all baseball transfers have to sit out a year, so that sport can be a bit tricky. For example, Nico Darras played for UConn's baseball team this past season after transferring from Cal State Fullerton where he had played the previous year.

Reaction Score
Right, I htink the rules for baseball do let you play after transferring, there might be some limited restrictions like number of games you played, something like that, but I don't know the details. I know a kid who played somewhere down south,one of the Florida schools but I can't remember which one, and transferred to Albany and played right away. And I seem to recall UConn had a player on the hockey team a year or so ago who was a transfer from Northeastern who played right away. At the time I didn't think too much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom