2014-15 Schedule | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2014-15 Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Terrible.
This is Cav's way of getting program visible in this end of the state for recruiting. I also think it's a shot across XL Center's bow. I think your post about playing all our home games on campus once the new barn is finished is a GREAT idea...but Cav realizes the benefits of playing in Bridgeport recruiting wise.

Reaction Score
This is Cav's way of getting program visible in this end of the state for recruiting. I also think it's a shot across XL Center's bow. I think your post about playing all our home games on campus once the new barn is finished is a GREAT idea...but Cav realizes the benefits of playing in Bridgeport recruiting wise.

I have no problem with a few games played in Bridgeport, especially during Christmas break. And yes, it is indeed a shot across XL Center's bow. It should be interesting to see what the basketball schedules look like, as it is very possible Bridgeport could get another game. And if Bridgeport gets more games, I'm sure it will come at the expense of Hartford.

Reaction Score
Southwestern CT isn't exactly a recruiting hotbed. If anything, playing in Storrs or Hartford would be more preferable as it's closer to the big CT private schools as well as the Western/Central MA private schools that traditionally have strong programs.

Reaction Score
Southwestern CT isn't exactly a recruiting hotbed. If anything, playing in Storrs or Hartford would be more preferable as it's closer to the big CT private schools as well as the Western/Central MA private schools that traditionally have strong programs.
I don't know...a lot of CT kids Cav recruited at BC..although they played at the CT Prep schools were from Fairfield and New Haven County. There is a HUGE influx of kids playing hockey in Fairfield County with ice time at a premium in Norwalk, Darien, Stamford and Greenwich. In Stamford alone there are right now 5 rinks (Twin rinks, Chelsea Piers, and Terry Conner's) and there is a plan to build another 4 rink complex near the old Cyanamid property. There is one rink in Darien, 2 in Norwalk, and 3 in Greenwich (including Brunswick School). Even with the additional 4 rinks being built in Stamford..there will still be a shortage of ice time down this way (my Captain coaches a youth team in Stamford). There is also a Russian trainer in the Stamford/Darien area who trains NHL players every summer...St. Louis, Richards, Kreider, Van Reimsdyk among others work out down here. You also have Messier, Drury, and Richter coaching youth teams out of Greenwich. CT Yankee organization uses Chelsea Piers CT as well. Fot CT HS hockey..the FCIAC, Fairfield Prep, and West Haven, ND West Haven are always in the mix. It's those teams that usually send the kids on to the CT Prep schools (in addition to Apple Core from LI and Westchester Mariners) It's a good move in my opinion. Once new barn/facility is up and running..I say play all but a few home games there..the others in Bridgeport.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't love playing "home" games all over the place. You want to play a tourney in Bridgeport, that's fine. I even get playing Quinnipiac there. Make it a regular thing if you want. I suspect that will be a bit of a local rivalry soon enough. But that ought to be enough. The ND and Colorado College games are pretty high profile. Play them on your home ice.

Reaction Score
I don't love playing "home" games all over the place. You want to play a tourney in Bridgeport, that's fine. I even get playing Quinnipiac there. Make it a regular thing if you want. I suspect that will be a bit of a local rivalry soon enough. But that ought to be enough. The ND and Colorado College games are pretty high profile. Play them on your home ice.

I think that might be the point. UConn doesn't want to give the impression that the XL Center is truly their home, and they want Hartford to know it.

Reaction Score
The only blow to Hartford is that ND game being in B-Port (Although it shouldn't be). The plan all along was to play only conference games at the XLC so the other 4 games were really taken away from Storrs.

Reaction Score
yikes:

On Tuesday, January 6th, the Huskies will host Colorado College at the Bridgeport arena and return their again to play host to Notre Dame, date to be announced. The Huskies and Colorado College Tigers have never met on the ice.

Reaction Score
I am sure you know of the Drury brothers. There's some talent in New Haven and Fairfield Counties.

Reaction Score
yikes:

On Tuesday, January 6th, the Huskies will host Colorado College at the Bridgeport arena and return their again to play host to Notre Dame, date to be announced. The Huskies and Colorado College Tigers have never met on the ice.
I saw that. One can only hope that the regular editor was away. Over-reliance on edit function, probably. At least it wasn't like the Boston herald headline: State finishes fiscal year in African-American...

Reaction Score
Breakdown of current NHL players from CT:
Arcobello, Mark (C) EDM Milford, CT, Southwest CT
Atkinson, Cam (RW) CBJ Riverside, CT, Southwest CT
Bonino, Nick (C) ANA Hartford, CT, Central CT
Hainsey, Ron (D) CAR Bolton, CT, Northeast CT
MacDermid, Lane (LW) Hartford, CT, Central CT
McDonald, Colin (RW) NYI Wethersfield, CT, Central CT
Pacioretty, Max (LW) MTL New Canaan, CT, Southwest CT
Quick, Jonathan (G) LAK Milford, CT, Southwest CT
Wilson, Colin (C) NSH Greenwich, CT, Southwest CT

If you break this down by region. There are 5 of the current 9 NHL players from Southwest CT. If we could just keep some of this talent home going forward I think we would be in pretty good shape. Quick, Bonino and Pacioretty all having or had big roles on their playoff teams.

Reaction Score

If you break this down by region. There are 5 of the current 9 NHL players from Southwest CT. If we could just keep some of this talent home going forward I think we would be in pretty good shape. Quick, Bonino and Pacioretty all having or had big roles on their playoff teams.
Nice job on the list! Add Kevin Shattenkirk from St Louis (Greenwich CT/Brunswick School in Greenwich/BU) and Ryan Haggerty from the NYR (Stamford/RPI)..he is a healthy scratch/not dressing BUT is on the NYR roster

Reaction Score
3 Recent Olympians in that group of 10. For comparison sakes Massachusetts (21 active NHL'ers) produced 0.

Reaction Score

That's where they're from but not where they played high school. Many went to prep school outside the state. And Colin Wilson is actually from Manitoba, he was just born in Greenwich.

That plus my real point, which I failed to make effectively, was that game proximity to home is really not important to hockey recruits, at least in the northeast. As in, they don't care if the game is in Bridgeport, Hartford, or Storrs. It's more about the quality of the facility, quality of the training facilities, who the opponent is, whether it'll be on TV, if the scouts will show up. Hockey is not like football where you go play games close to recruits. The vast majority of programs are already close enough to where many recruits are. For instance, BU doesn't go play games in Minnesota regularly to tap that market, and accordingly, Minnesota doesn't come play games in Boston to tap the Massachusetts/New England recruiting pipelines. In fact, Minnesota hasn't played an OOC game in Massachusetts in 10 years.

Reaction Score
Merrimack's schedule (http://www.merrimackathletics.com/sports/mice/2014-15/schedule) shows them playing us home-and-home but on different weekends. One is very early in the season, so that might have been moved. It also shows us playing them at Prudential Center in a non-conference game. They play everyone home-and-home except for Vermont, Notre Dame, Maine, and New Hampshire, who are either two home or two away. All matchups with the same team are the same weekend except us.

Edit: Same number home as away games.
Edit 2: Apparently Boston College isn't on the same weekend either for them. One is midweek. One of our games against Merrimack is midweek too. So it's clear they are somewhat willing to move things around to make schedules work.
Edit 3: BU's schedule is up too. http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-hockey/sched/bost-m-hockey-sched.html At their place November 16, at home November 21. Again, not the same weekend. All their matchups except Notre Dame and Vermont are home-and-home, though again, not necessarily on the same weekend. It is clear that everyone, with the possible exception of Notre Dame and Vermont, neither of whom have released schedules yet, will be playing 11 home and 11 away. Also, it appears everyone plays Notre Dame and Vermont either two home or two away, though I don't know how they play each other.
Edit 4: In addition to the matchup in New Jersey, we play Merrimack away on October 18 and home on January 27, which is a Tuesday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Merrimack's schedule (http://www.merrimackathletics.com/sports/mice/2014-15/schedule) shows them playing us home-and-home but on different weekends. One is very early in the season, so that might have been moved. It also shows us playing them at Prudential Center in a non-conference game. They play everyone home-and-home except for Vermont, Notre Dame, Maine, and New Hampshire, who are either two home or two away. All matchups with the same team are the same weekend except us.

Edit: Same number home as away games.
Edit 2: Apparently Boston College isn't on the same weekend either for them. One is midweek. One of our games against Merrimack is midweek too. So it's clear they are somewhat willing to move things around to make schedules work.
Edit 3: BU's schedule is up too. http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-hockey/sched/bost-m-hockey-sched.html At their place November 16, at home November 21. Again, not the same weekend. All their matchups except Notre Dame and Vermont are home-and-home, though again, not necessarily on the same weekend. It is clear that everyone, with the possible exception of Notre Dame and Vermont, neither of whom have released schedules yet, will be playing 11 home and 11 away. Also, it appears everyone plays Notre Dame and Vermont either two home or two away, though I don't know how they play each other.
Edit 4: In addition to the matchup in New Jersey, we play Merrimack away on October 18 and home on January 27, which is a Tuesday.

One day off on BU at UConn. It is November 22, according to the BU website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom