2013 Gold Glove Winners | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2013 Gold Glove Winners

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No they are not measured on a TV screen. Putouts, assists, and innings played is objective data compiled from scorebooks. They are what they are. Range Factor is calculated by dividing Putouts + Assists by the number of Innings or Games played at a given position. Zone Factor (what I believe you are referring to) is a little more subjective. Be that as it may, Pedroia had less errors in 2013 than Cano as well.

Just like Nomar was better than Jeter? We all have favorite teams, we all have opinions, and we all are clouded to some extent by team colored glasses. However, in this case it's not as cut and dry as think. The two players in question have won the last 4 GGs at 2B and have won 5 combined. Much like Greg Maddox, if either player is HoF worthy in 10 years, one more or less Gold Glove is not keeping them out or letting them in to Cooperstown.

Just common sense to me. In some ways I think Pedroia is more like Jeter, and Cano like Nomar. Nomar could make more spectactular plays than Jeter, had a stronger (but less accurate) arm and more range. But Jeter just ate everything up and made every play, whereas Nomar would make more mistakes. Pedroia just handled everything this year, and was more impressive to my eye than Cano in the games I saw. With his foot finally healed, he moved much better all year, laterally, and on tough plays charging in like on Sunday. He also reads the ball better off the bat and has better position before contact than Cano (or anyone in MLB) in my opinion. He was just better. Period. :)

Reaction Score
No they are not measured on a TV screen. Putouts, assists, and innings played is objective data compiled from scorebooks. They are what they are. Range Factor is calculated by dividing Putouts + Assists by the number of Innings or Games played at a given position. Zone Factor (what I believe you are referring to) is a little more subjective. Be that as it may, Pedroia had less errors in 2013 than Cano as well.

Just like Nomar was better than Jeter? We all have favorite teams, we all have opinions, and we all are clouded to some extent by team colored glasses. However, in this case it's not as cut and dry as think. The two players in question have won the last 4 GGs at 2B and have won 5 combined. Much like Greg Maddox, if either player is HoF worthy in 10 years, one more or less Gold Glove is not keeping them out or letting them in to Cooperstown.

Nomar was better for Jeter while doing the juice.........for a couple years!!

Funny stuff for anyone who believes "diving" is any tell tale on "range".......being 5'5" has a little to do with it too........nothing is better than the eye test not some chemical engineer putting stats together!! Again opinion but GG's are rarely a sign of the best!! They got it wrong here...........

Reaction Score
Just common sense to me. In some ways I think Pedroia is more like Jeter, and Cano like Nomar. Nomar could make more spectactular plays than Jeter, had a stronger (but less accurate) arm and more range. But Jeter just ate everything up and made every play, whereas Nomar would make more mistakes. Pedroia just handled everything this year, and was more impressive to my eye than Cano in the games I saw. With his foot finally healed, he moved much better all year, laterally, and on tough plays charging in like on Sunday. He also reads the ball better off the bat and has better position before contact than Cano (or anyone in MLB) in my opinion. He was just better. Period. :)

Yep you got it........I know who moves to the right better and it's not close.......and who's arm makes plays NO other 2nd baseman can make period!!

Cano is better....not budging. Funny you guys see the Sox all the time and suddenly Pedey is healthy lol, and his range and reads are the best.....and you see Cano so much??

Funny stuff.......Cano easy!! Sorry guys this one is not yours to have!!;)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I guess we found where Joe Morgan ended up. You get fired from ESPN(Sorry, contract not renewed after two decades) and you spend your days on a UConn Sports message board? Woulda thought you'd find a better use for you time.

You said you were dropping the discussion in a different thread. I guess that plan failed.

I really am dropping it on my end. You can say or believe whatever fairy tail you wish. You don't have to budge. You don't have a vote. Thank you for sharing your opinion, but Pedroia rightfully won the 2013 Gold Glove at second base, which is backed up by empirical, factual, data.

Reaction Score
I guess we found where Joe Morgan ended up. You get fired from ESPN(Sorry, contract not renewed after two decades) and you spend your days on a UConn Sports message board? Woulda thought you'd find a better use for you time.

You said you were dropping the discussion in a different thread. I guess that plan failed.

I really am dropping it on my end. You can say or believe whatever fairy tail you wish. You don't have to budge. You don't have a vote. Thank you for sharing your opinion, but Pedroia rightfully won the 2013 Gold Glove at second base, which is backed up by empirical, factual, data.

And you have a vote 25? No one gives a crap about either of us and you aren't right and "factual data" can't be that....admit that at least.....all relative!

Go cards

Husky25

Reaction Score
And you have a vote 25? No one gives a crap about either of us and you aren't right and "factual data" can't be that....admit that at least.....all relative!

Go cards

I've already said my piece, Joe. No use for me to argue fact with someone who doesn't let them get in the way of their own personal narrative.

How much is UConn up on Southern? How do they look? I don't have Premium access to UConnHuskies.com

Reaction Score
I've already said my piece, Joe. No use for me to argue fact with someone who doesn't let them get in the way of their own personal narrative.

How much is UConn up on Southern? How do they look? I don't have Premium access to UConnHuskies.com

I'd let you know if I liked you..........

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
By every single metric, and in the view of everybody who doesn't have a picture of Derek Jeter tattooed on their butt, Pedroia is a much, much better defensive 2B than Cano. Cano is a better hitter, but Pedroia's dWAR absolutely destroys Cano's.

Reaction Score
By every single metric, and in the view of everybody who doesn't have a picture of Derek Jeter tattooed on their butt, Pedroia is a much, much better defensive 2B than Cano. Cano is a better hitter, but Pedroia's dWAR absolutely destroys Cano's.

Funny nomar - nice red colored glasses............metrics? Jeter didn't deserve most of his GG's too check it out I mentioned that.......destroys is so fn funny Cano is so much better except to Red Sox land I promise......but hey you have a WS and Cano doesn't......and your little WAR guy dives and runs and gets dirty so yeah - he has to be better!! LOL nice fantasy dude'!!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Funny nomar - nice red colored glasses............metrics? Jeter didn't deserve most of his GG's too check it out I mentioned that.......destroys is so fn funny Cano is so much better except to Red Sox land I promise......but hey you have a WS and Cano doesn't......and your little WAR guy dives and runs and gets dirty so yeah - he has to be better!! LOL nice fantasy dude'!!

That's a pretty terrible comeback, mau. Math doesn't wear colored glasses.

If Cano is so much better except to Red Sox land than how did Pedroia win the GG? I don't get it.

Reaction Score
Again the Sox fans speaking out. While Napoli was probably better than expected to say terrific screams homer - he's closer to awful than terrific. And Pedey is very good but once again can't hold Cano's jockstrap. Ellsbury can go get it with the best and throws like a girl but I'm not sure who's better.......the award is normally a joke (proven by Jeter and Bernie in the past) but this year may take the cake!

On pedroia's side
Sox fans
Al players
Al coaches
Defensive metrics

On cano's side
Yankees fans

But you are right, it's the sox fans with blinders on

Reaction Score
On pedroia's side
Sox fans
Al players
Al coaches
Defensive metrics

On cano's side
Yankees fans

But you are right, it's the sox fans with blinders on

You're so smart Vike dude........because we all know players vote for the best right? Certainly not the guys they like more or see diving and playing like a dirt devil?? LOL........guessing besides the Latin American players Cano has less of a link to the players and coaches than Pedey and if you don't think that matters then you're - well you are anyway!!! Worked the same in his MVP year that's for sure because he wasn't then either.......people love the hustle guys! Good for him and even more for you.....as long as you're smiling.....

But congrats on this reply you proved a lot again!

Husky25

Reaction Score
You're so smart Vike dude........because we all know players vote for the best right? Certainly not the guys they like more or see diving and playing like a dirt devil?? LOL........guessing besides the Latin American players Cano has less of a link to the players and coaches than Pedey and if you don't think that matters then you're - well you are anyway!!! Worked the same in his MVP year that's for sure because he wasn't then either.......people love the hustle guys! Good for him and even more for you.....as long as you're smiling.....

If you had a vote, Mau, who should have won MVP in 2008? Just curious. By the way, players don't vote for either the MVP (BBWAA) OR Gold Glove awards (opposing Managers). Pedroia led the league in Runs, Hits and Doubles, committing only 6 errors, and batting all over the lineup in 2008 for a team that made the playoffs. He had 9 more 1st place votes than the next player (Morneau), as voted upon by members of the Baseball Writers Association of America. It's not that people just love the hustle guys. People love guys who produce and the numbers bare it out.

In fact the controversy heading into the MVP award announcement was that the Sox had two MVP worthy candidates on their team and they would split the vote. The fact that it didn't happen makes Pedroia even more worthy, doesn't it?

Reaction Score
Again the Sox fans speaking out. While Napoli was probably better than expected to say terrific screams homer - he's closer to awful than terrific. And Pedey is very good but once again can't hold Cano's jockstrap. Ellsbury can go get it with the best and throws like a girl but I'm not sure who's better.......the award is normally a joke (proven by Jeter and Bernie in the past) but this year may take the cake!
You are referring to me as a homer when you are comparing pedroia beating cano as more ridiculous then jeter winning a GG a few years ago?
Napoli was at the very least very solid to the naked eye at first. But he also happened to lead the league in UZR and defensive runs scored.
So it's not being a homer to say he was terrific and certainly deserving of a nomination at least.
It's his first full year as a first baseman so maybe his second year he will get more recognition. Of course you hate his beard and think he is a juicer so it's probably for the best that you don't have a vote

Reaction Score

I was wrong players don't vote only coaches and managers. Are you saying they are racist when they vote?

Reaction Score
If you had a vote, Mau, who should have won MVP in 2008? Just curious. By the way, players don't vote for either the MVP (BBWAA) OR Gold Glove awards (opposing Managers). Pedroia led the league in Runs, Hits and Doubles, committing only 6 errors, and batting all over the lineup in 2008 for a team that made the playoffs. He had 9 more 1st place votes than the next player (Morneau), as voted upon by members of the Baseball Writers Association of America. It's not that people just love the hustle guys. People love guys who produce and the numbers bare it out.

In fact the controversy heading into the MVP award announcement was that the Sox had two MVP worthy candidates on their team and they would split the vote. The fact that it didn't happen makes Pedroia even more worthy, doesn't it?

No

Reaction Score
I was wrong players don't vote only coaches and managers. Are you saying they are racist when they vote?

read it Vike won't spell it out for you! No not racist at all and how would anyone come up with that besides you?

I'm done you guys are right what was I thinking......Pedey is so much better than Cano it's fn unbelieveable...........:rolleyes:

Husky25

Reaction Score
It was a fill in the blank question. Yes, No, True, and False are not possibilities. Oh, I get it. You were answering the rhetorical low hanging fruit. Interesting that "No" is incorrect here too (IMO).

If Pedroia did deserve his MVP, Who would you have voted for?

By the way, no one said Pedroia was "so much better than" Cano. He did however earn and deserve the 2013 Gold Glove.

Reaction Score
It was a fill in the blank question. Yes, No, True, and False are not possibilities. Oh, I get it. You were answering the rhetorical low hanging fruit. Interesting that "No" is incorrect here too (IMO).

If Pedroia did deserve his MVP, Who would you have voted for?

By the way, no one said Pedroia was "so much better than" Cano. He did however earn and deserve the 2013 Gold Glove.

No is my answer for him earning the GG and being better than Cano. And you guys thinking it's definitely deserving because the players and coaches vote, are the same schmucks who said years back that Jeter didn't deserve it. So while I agree most years Derek may not have deserved it, therein lies the proof of the GG award being a popularity contest many times! And it could've happened once again - but no chance according to you guys!! LOL........

Oh yeah and take your choice Hamiton or Cabrera.......or his teammate Youk? Pedroia had a very good year, his best, but wasn't an MVP year....... .304/32/130 is a little better!

Husky25

Reaction Score
No is my answer for him earning the GG and being better than Cano. And you guys thinking it's definitely deserving because the players and coaches vote, are the same schmucks who said years back that Jeter didn't deserve it. So while I agree most years Derek may not have deserved it, therein lies the proof of the GG award being a popularity contest many times! And it could've happened once again - but no chance according to you guys!! LOL........

Oh yeah and take your choice Hamiton or Cabrera.......or his teammate Youk? Pedroia had a very good year, his best, but wasn't an MVP year....... .304/32/130 is a little better!
Soooo, you answered a question I did not ask. Got it.

Youk came in third for MVP that year and both Cabrera and Hamilton lead their teams to October 2nd tee times.

Reaction Score
Soooo, you answered a question I did not ask. Got it.

Youk came in third for MVP that year and both Cabrera and Hamilton lead their teams to October 2nd tee times.

So the MVP is a guy who didn't perform as well as others but fell into it because he hustles and ha d a real good year for himself? Think about that one.....Youk's numbers prove top me then that he had a bigger impact so I will go with Youk not the dirt dog!! Pedey's good, he hustles, people like that -writers act - he won, good for him. He was one of those MVP's, and he's not the first for sure, to win without being the most valuable player.

Husky25

Reaction Score
So the MVP is a guy who didn't perform as well as others but fell into it because he hustles and ha d a real good year for himself? Think about that one.....Youk's numbers prove top me then that he had a bigger impact so I will go with Youk not the dirt dog!! Pedey's good, he hustles, people like that -writers act - he won, good for him. He was one of those MVP's, and he's not the first for sure, to win without being the most valuable player.
Fair point, but I will reiterate that Pedroia led the league in hits, runs, and doubles (last done by Cal Ripkin during his MVP year), and had 20 steals. He had a good year for anyone. ;) He also set up a number of Youk's RBI and had a higher Wins Above Replacement.

Bottom line is that Pedroia had more than double the first place votes than the second highest vote getter (I can't believe we are arguing over the non-controversial MVP vote from 5 years ago!).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cano epitomizes today's Yankees. Talented, but doesn't hustle, happy with good enough. Looking for awards for managing a team 12 games out of 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom