1B Paul Goldschmidt (ARI)
2B Brandon Phillips (CIN)
3B Nolan Arenado (COL)
SS Andrelton Simmons (ATL)
LF Carlos Gonzalez (COL)
CF Carlos Gomez (MIL)
RF Gerardo Parra (ARI)
P Adam Wainwright (STL)

2 Boston guys both well deserving in Pedroia and Victorino. Ellsbury was nominated but didn't win. Thought Napoli would have more consideration, but I don't believe he was even nominated. He's been terrific in his first full year at 1B.

Baltimore and KC both had 3 guys.

Reaction Score
Again the Sox fans speaking out. While Napoli was probably better than expected to say terrific screams homer - he's closer to awful than terrific. And Pedey is very good but once again can't hold Cano's jockstrap. Ellsbury can go get it with the best and throws like a girl but I'm not sure who's better.......the award is normally a joke (proven by Jeter and Bernie in the past) but this year may take the cake!

Reaction Score
Oh here we go again. Attack mode.

From who you?

Merely my opinion you have one dopey or just like to stalk my posts. Because you certainly never sound too bright!! ;)

Reaction Score
Napoli? He was surprisingly good but shouldn't even be considered for a gold glove.

Reaction Score
To say Pedey can't hold Cano's jock is crazy talk. Both are GC caliber. Cano probably has more physical talent. But with the game on the line if I need a 2b man to make a play, I want Dustin out there. But I would not complain if Cano got it.

Napoli was much better at first than expected and was very good. Not Gold glove. But Vike only said she should have been nominated. Not that he should have won.

Not sure if that is bright enough for you. Probably not. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
To say Pedey can't hold Cano's jock is crazy talk. Both are GC caliber. Cano probably has more physical talent. But with the game on the line if I need a 2b man to make a play, I want Dustin out there. But I would not complain if Cano got it.

Napoli was much better at first than expected and was very good. Not Gold glove. But Vike only said she should have been nominated. Not that he should have won.

Not sure if that is bright enough for you. Probably not. Just my opinion.

Opinion is fine, much brighter. If I were a Sox fan I would take Pedey too but in all reality, while not holding his jock may be a bit of an overstatement, Cano does everything better out there just w/o the rah rah that everyone seems to fall head over heals for!! Naploi was not very good, missed many balls a very good first baseman would have gotten to but really was good enough fo rthis team because of his clutch hitting.

That was a better exchange was it not - opinions are like a** holes after all

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wait. Jeter didn't win one at SS?

This is an outrage!!!

Come on, he might, might, have deserved one or two of the ones he did win. For the last few , he might have won a gold glove while being the worst SS in the league (in terms of range...always an accurate arm).

Pedroia was deserving over Cano this year. His offense was down, but he took his defense up a notch (and his foot was injury free).

Few complaints with the list. JJ Hardy at short? He's not close to the best defensive SS in the league. Escobar should have won. Tough on in RF with Victorino over Markakis. Both parks have tough right fields. Victorino covers more ground, but doesn't have the arm that Markakis has.

More thoughts. http://www.baseballnation.com/2013/10/29/5044554/2013-gold-glove-winners-fielding-awards-sabermetrics-statistics

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Who got the Gold Glove for DH?

Cargo is the new Jeter apparently. Maybe the only thing voters remembered about Starling Marte was dropping the 3rd out vs. Cards. And not the 2.5:1 margin over Cargo in defensive runs saved.

Also, might as well write in Machado's name at 3b for as long as he plays there.

Reaction Score
Again the Sox fans speaking out. While Napoli was probably better than expected to say terrific screams homer - he's closer to awful than terrific. And Pedey is very good but once again can't hold Cano's jockstrap. Ellsbury can go get it with the best and throws like a girl but I'm not sure who's better.......the award is normally a joke (proven by Jeter and Bernie in the past) but this year may take the cake!

Baseball wizard at it again speaking out.

To say he is closer to terrible than terrific is just flat out ignorant.

"This year, for the first time, the ballots came attached with sabermetric statistics that graded range, runs saved and other non-traditional defensive analysis.

Those grades were earmarked to represent 25 percent of the vote, which was done by league managers who could not vote for their own players.

In the sabermetric analysis, Napoli ranked first. Yet the three AL finalists at first base were Baltimore's Chris Davis, Kansas City's Eric Hosmer and Tampa Bay's James Loney"

Why look at facts? His total run zone was also 1st, which closer to the best than the worst, among 1st basemen. Hosemer and Loney were 3rd and 4th.

Not saying he should of have won the GG but jesus wake up.

Reaction Score
List looks about right...no complaints.

Napoli has been real good at 1B this year but not a gold glover yet.

Why do they give pitchers a gold glove? Dumb...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Napoli was indeed better than expected, but he had some really good infielders who did not make it hard on him most of the year. In terms of fielding percentage, Napoli was at .994, which on its face is really good, but at the end of the day, 1B is not considered a difficult position. Napoli was at best, middle of the road. .994 is tied for 12th in the Majors. 14th in in innings played, 15 in Put outs, 13 in Assists, Tied for 9th in Errors, and 17th in Range Factor.

Hosmer had a single digits ranking in Total Chances, Putouts, and Assists, while playing almost 30 more games at 1st.

By the numbers, Pedroia had a better defensive year than Cano, though Cano is a close second. More innings, total chances, Put outs, turned more double plays, higher fielding %, less errors with a higher range factor, and Defensive Wins Above Replacement.

Reaction Score
List looks about right...no complaints.

Napoli has been real good at 1B this year but not a gold glover yet.

Why do they give pitchers a gold glove? Dumb...
Why not, its astounding sometimes watching pitchers that have deliveries that make them totally unable to field their position. Sure throwing the ball is 99% more important, but fielding that position well is important. A good fielding pitcher is similar to a good fielding first baseman, you don't notice the average one too much but an exceptional fielder there can make a huge difference. And if Breslow had a gold glove we could whack him over the head with it !

Reaction Score
Opinion is fine, much brighter. If I were a Sox fan I would take Pedey too but in all reality, while not holding his jock may be a bit of an overstatement, Cano does everything better out there just w/o the rah rah that everyone seems to fall head over heals for!! Naploi was not very good, missed many balls a very good first baseman would have gotten to but really was good enough fo rthis team because of his clutch hitting.

That was a better exchange was it not - opinions are like a* holes after all
Cano is a better hitter but this is not supposed to be about hitting. Pedroia was better in fielding pct.; range factor per nine innings and range factor per game. Plus Fenway does not have a reputation as a fielder's ball park. I think it was a good selection of him over Cano. On the other hand, Mike Napoli had a great season at first but is not a gold glove candidate. The Flyin' Hawaiian just had a great year.

Reaction Score
Why not, its astounding sometimes watching pitchers that have deliveries that make them totally unable to field their position. Sure throwing the ball is 99% more important, but fielding that position well is important. A good fielding pitcher is similar to a good fielding first baseman, you don't notice the average one too much but an exceptional fielder there can make a huge difference. And if Breslow had a gold glove we could whack him over the head with it !

all true I guess.

I just dont notice any of them in terms of their fielding in the one or two times a week they pitch...

not sure how they even judge it

Reaction Score
all true I guess.

I just dont notice any of them in terms of their fielding in the one or two times a week they pitch...

not sure how they even judge it

I'm not even sure how they judge SS based on Jeter winning multiple GG's.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure how they judge SS based on Jeter winning multiple GG's.

I could be wrong but I thought they acknowledged that there was not a run away candidate and Jeter's GGs were basically Lifetime Achievement Awards. As if he wasn't already, they cinched the Hall of Fame for him.

Reaction Score
Come on, he might, might, have deserved one or two of the ones he did win. For the last few , he might have won a gold glove while being the worst SS in the league (in terms of range...always an accurate arm).

Pedroia was deserving over Cano this year. His offense was down, but he took his defense up a notch (and his foot was injury free).

Few complaints with the list. JJ Hardy at short? He's not close to the best defensive SS in the league. Escobar should have won. Tough on in RF with Victorino over Markakis. Both parks have tough right fields. Victorino covers more ground, but doesn't have the arm that Markakis has.

More thoughts. http://www.baseballnation.com/2013/10/29/5044554/2013-gold-glove-winners-fielding-awards-sabermetrics-statistics

Victorino was a bit crazy but he's good I agree Markakis is better overall but close enough...........Pedey may or may not have picked up his D but Cano was sensational again and like it or not he's better than the winner that is not one I will even come close to being convinced on........

Reaction Score
Cano is a better hitter but this is not supposed to be about hitting. Pedroia was better in fielding pct.; range factor per nine innings and range factor per game. Plus Fenway does not have a reputation as a fielder's ball park. I think it was a good selection of him over Cano. On the other hand, Mike Napoli had a great season at first but is not a gold glove candidate. The Flyin' Hawaiian just had a great year.

I wasn't talking about hitting either 60's but since you mentioned it he was alot better overall ;) .....Cano is better and range is relative and not at all comparable with these 2......I don't care what the "guru's" say......again not that close but who really cares!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Victorino was a bit crazy but he's good I agree Markakis is better overall but close enough...........Pedey may or may not have picked up his D but Cano was sensational again and like it or not he's better than the winner that is not one I will even come close to being convinced on........

As I said above, the numbers (not gurus) bare out that Pedroia was better defensively than Cano this year by almost any reasonably important metric. Cano may have been sensational, but Peddy was better. No one has to convince you, you don't have an official vote. ;)

Husky25

Reaction Score

It means almost nothing to a pitcher unless they can't cover 1B on a ground ball to the right side. They may get a cursory mention on the plaque but Greg Maddox is not going to the HOF for his gold gloves.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yes the Gold Glove is a regular season award, but should Wainwright's be held in escrow until after a full investigation? If there is an NL pitcher who is even remotely close to Wainwright on a defensive basis, it should be awarded elsewhere.

Drew's "hit" in Game 1 was the result of one of the all time biggest brain farts at any position in any major sport.

Reaction Score
As I said above, the numbers (not gurus) bare out that Pedroia was better defensively than Cano this year by almost any reasonably important metric. Cano may have been sensational, but Peddy was better. No one has to convince you, you don't have an official vote. ;)

Again what are the "numbers" compared to? There is nothing on earth that can tell who has "better range" expect the human eye on a given play........"numbers" on defense? Funny stuff.......they measuring on a TV screen? How big is the screen and where was the camera? Did they go out on the field after every game and measure the range? If you want to go by errors made then that would be the only REAl number no matter what kool aid you drink......for any position!!! He won and you agree - good!!

He's not as good! Period!;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
Again what are the "numbers" compared to? There is nothing on earth that can tell who has "better range" expect the human eye on a given play........"numbers" on defense? Funny stuff.......they measuring on a TV screen? How big is the screen and where was the camera? Did they go out on the field after every game and measure the range? If you want to go by errors made then that would be the only REAl number no matter what kool aid you drink......for any position!!! He won and you agree - good!!

No they are not measured on a TV screen. Putouts, assists, and innings played is objective data compiled from scorebooks. They are what they are. Range Factor is calculated by dividing Putouts + Assists by the number of Innings or Games played at a given position. Zone Factor (what I believe you are referring to) is a little more subjective. Be that as it may, Pedroia had less errors in 2013 than Cano as well.

He's not as good! Period!;)

Just like Nomar was better than Jeter? We all have favorite teams, we all have opinions, and we all are clouded to some extent by team colored glasses. However, in this case it's not as cut and dry as think. The two players in question have won the last 4 GGs at 2B and have won 5 combined. Much like Greg Maddox, if either player is HoF worthy in 10 years, one more or less Gold Glove is not keeping them out or letting them in to Cooperstown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom