2012 Roster --- The Big Uglies | The Boneyard

2012 Roster --- The Big Uglies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last year I thought we had the worst OL play we had seen in forever. Could they have looked worse because of the play at skill positions? Of course yes. Could they have struggled learning the new ways and schemes? Of course. But the result did not match the talent I thought they had coming in. And, coming out, multiyear starters and all-conference performers Moe Petrus and Mike Ryan were gone.

Let's start with what we think are our starters. At LT, Jimmy Bennett is back for his RS Sr. year. Bennett came here with a world of potential, but has gone though injury after injury after injury, and has very little actual game experience. We hear from the staff that he may be our best OL. Can he be? Can he play an entire year? It's hard to believe that the odds of that happening are good, but it will make a huge difference if it happens. Steve Greene will be the LG. He started the second half of last year, has the skills but looked a little lost at times. Now a RS Jr, he needs to show a lot. I think Mateas, the RS Soph PSU transfer is going to snap. We heard he did well his one year at Penn State, and was in line to play as he got more senior, but here he is. When he steps on the field it will be the first time in college. Adam Masters, now a RS Sr., is our most experienced OL, but having bounced back and forth between multiple positions does not enter his senior year with the type of accomplishments that we're used to our senior OL starters having. Kevin Friend, a RS Jr., is at least solid at RT and set.

The depth is troubling. The staff has faith, I think, in Gus Cruz, a RS Soph for whom they have high hopes ultimately, and Tyler Bullock, a RS Jr. who can play multiple positons. If an OT goes down Masters will slide outside. But if we need beyond 7 OL this year, it will get very iffy very fast. Backup OTs are Dalton Gifford, who will be on the two deep, and then RS Frosh Nwokeje and Hemingway, neither of whom are heavy enough yet, and true frosh Levy and Rugg. Backing up in the middle are Paull and Bockeloh, both Centers, and true frosh Tyler Samra from NJ and Rennick Bryan from New Haven, and the walk-on Danielson. If we're blowing out UMass and they want to put a second line in, honestly I have little clue what it would look like. I've never felt that way before.

So that's where we are. At one of the most critical units of any college football team, we have little depth, below average experience and no established stars. And yet, I'm cautiously optimistic. If Jimmy Bennett is the real deal and stays healthy, and if we don't ever need to go past seven deep on the OL, and if last year people played below their levels because they were struggling to learn the new schemes and techniques and now they get it, I still think there is a realistic chance that our OL play can be modestly improved from last year. And if our OL play is even as good as it was last year, with better QB play our offense will be significantly improved.

I will try to start the defense tomorrow.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
rennick seems to be getting some love, i know ppl here don't think of frosh being good enough to play on the ol but who knows. maybe we have something in him sleeper wise.

Reaction Score
Last year I thought we had the worst OL play we had seen in forever. Could they have looked worse because of the play at skill positions? Of course yes. Could they have struggled learning the new ways and schemes? Of course. But the result did not match the talent I thought they had coming in. And, coming out, multiyear starters and all-conference performers Moe Petrus and Mike Ryan were gone.

Let's start with what we think are our starters. At LT, Jimmy Bennett is back for his RS Sr. year. Bennett came here with a world of potential, but has gone though injury after injury after injury, and has very little actual game experience. We hear from the staff that he may be our best OL. Can he be? Can he play an entire year? It's hard to believe that the odds of that happening are good, but it will make a huge difference if it happens. Steve Greene will be the LG. He started the second half of last year, has the skills but looked a little lost at times. Now a RS Jr, he needs to show a lot. I think Mateas, the RS Soph PSU transfer is going to snap. We heard he did well his one year at Penn State, and was in line to play as he got more senior, but here he is. When he steps on the field it will be the first time in college. Adam Masters, now a RS Sr., is our most experienced OL, but having bounced back and forth between multiple positions does not enter his senior year with the type of accomplishments that we're used to our senior OL starters having. Kevin Friend, a RS Jr., is at least solid at RT and set.

The depth is troubling. The staff has faith, I think, in Gus Cruz, a RS Soph for whom they have high hopes ultimately, and Tyler Bullock, a RS Jr. who can play multiple positons. If an OT goes down Masters will slide outside. But if we need beyond 7 OL this year, it will get very iffy very fast. Backup OTs are Dalton Gifford, who will be on the two deep, and then RS Frosh Nwokeje and Hemingway, neither of whom are heavy enough yet, and true frosh Levy and Rugg. Backing up in the middle are Paull and Bockeloh, both Centers, and true frosh Tyler Samra from NJ and Rennick Bryan from New Haven, and the walk-on Danielson. If we're blowing out UMass and they want to put a second line in, honestly I have little clue what it would look like. I've never felt that way before.

So that's where we are. At one of the most critical units of any college football team, we have little depth, below average experience and no established stars. And yet, I'm cautiously optimistic. If Jimmy Bennett is the real deal and stays healthy, and if we don't ever need to go past seven deep on the OL, and if last year people played below their levels because they were struggling to learn the new schemes and techniques and now they get it, I still think there is a realistic chance that our OL play can be modestly improved from last year. And if our OL play is even as good as it was last year, with better QB play our offense will be significantly improved.

I will try to start the defense tomorrow.

This is about where I am with the OL. The depth concerns me. Outside of the top 7......gets dicey.

HFD, if we are going to being playing true frosh on the interior OL......we are in for a long season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We've seen several articles/blogs regarding poor snaps from the center position and this has me worried.

There's almost no chance for a play to succeed with a poor snap.

We've also seen articles about the DT's blowing up plays right over the center.

We were fortunate the past few years with Moe Petrus.

That is my biggest concern for the Oline.

Reaction Score
QB play will have a big impact on OL play. Get ball out of hands with quick decision, check down to inside guys, have ability to at least be mobile in pocket, few chuck and duck plays = much easier job for OL. RB breaks a few tackles = much easier for OL.
2nd year in scheme with OC who devised overall playing methods and knows exactly what type of blocking is needed doing the hands on OL teaching work = much better performance by OL.
Problem is lost lot of talent from last year and the positives noted above only make big impact if individual guys have what it takes to "execute".

Reaction Score
This is the key in my mind and the reason when I see these predictions of 8-9 wins I just don't really see it. This group is largely unproven and without depth. Behind this line is a small back who doesn't break tackles. And the passing game is going to be how much better? If we stay healthy up front we have a shot to move the ball. We get a rash of injuries and it could be a very long season.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Hey Joe Williams might breakout this year as a backfield helper ,he's built like a tank.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see who emerges as # 8 (we know who the top 7 are) # 8 needs to be a tackle. If Mateus can do the job we will be fine, if not OL will be a problem. I like our future on the line with Rugg, Levy, Hemingway and Bryan, the coaches just need to figure out a way to patchwork this season.

Whitmer will make them look much better than last year even if they are not any better.

Reaction Score
Hey Joe Williams might breakout this year as a backfield helper ,he's built like a tank.

Yes he is a tank. He already looks stronger then Shoemate did and he has speed to boot. If he has McCombs' moxi he will be great.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Entire season hinges on line play. Not nearly enough skill position talent to overcome poor play. Defense will be good, but will be excellent if offense doesn't put them in bad spots.

Reaction Score
IMHO DeLeone is a miracle worker. We get it done up front.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
IMHO DeLeone is a miracle worker. We get it done up front.
I hope you're right. I am much more worried about the o-line than QB, and that's coming off a season where our QB looked average-to-bad most of the year. It was a little frustrating to see our o-line struggle last year after Foley had crafted a cohesive, durable unit over the past 5 or so seasons.

Reaction Score
Well despite unproven talent we do have experience AT LEAST. Starting 2 RS SR's and 2 RS JR's and RS SO......Bennett and Masters have had time to mature as players, seen more than enough film, gotten more than enough corrective feedback, should by now know all of their techniques, and have a grip on the playbook....and Masters has gotten a great deal of field time...I think its up to those two to take charge and not want their senior years to go to waste. Definitely our biggest area of concern but lets not doubt them! If they surprise this could be a great year us!

Reaction Score
rennick seems to be getting some love, i know ppl here don't think of frosh being good enough to play on the ol but who knows. maybe we have something in him sleeper wise.

I assumed the coaches talked up the true frosh (he, Rugg and Samra) to light a fire under the 2d teamers. I am very nervous if we believe RB (or any true frosh) can come in and be a contributor up front. Hemingway will be terrific once he adds some weight.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Get your mind out of the gutter.

5900731_500Z.ashx

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Of course down along the Gulf of Mexico when you say snapper people think this.

redfish-charters.jpg

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the last time i saw something that pink....

Reaction Score
The shotgun snaps are a concern as we don't have 6'5" QB's. A screwed up snap was one reason we lost at Virginia. Having played O-line I was amazed to see guys set up in pass pro last year, arm contact their linemate to the inside and then not see a defender come from their outside, just looking straight ahead, no vision to the outside. Run blocking will be improved no doubt but it is the pass pro that has to improve. If it doesn't and we have to put a true freshman in that can do it then that's what must be done. We need to make some noise this year, our defense is too good to be wasted covering up for an ineffective offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom