2012 Roster -- Defensive Line | The Boneyard

2012 Roster -- Defensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's start at DE. Jesse Joseph returns for his Sr. year, and has been a starter for at least three of his four years at UConn (it may be all 4 -- I'm not remembering and don't have the time to look it up). He had a very good Sophomore year, where he looked like he'd be a star, but then was injured for the start of last year and took a long time even after being back before he looked like himself. If he plays this year like I expected him to play as a Sr. two years ago, he will be first team all-conference and a real star. Jesse plays the strongside. On the weakside is Trevardo Williams, also a 4th year Sr. Trevardo came to Storrs from Bridgeport Central and started playing right away as a backup and on specials due to injuries. He was always an explosive athlete who looked like he wasn't much of an intuitive football player. Then, last year, about when we got into the conference schedule, it was ias if a light bulb went off in his head and he quickly became a sack machine. It's not at all clear that he was done improving when last year ended, and there is no reason that he can't be a star as well. The third DE is Ted Jennings, now a RS Sr., who started when Joseph was hurt last year and was fine. He could absolutely be an effective starter in this conference, and as a backup provides not just a chance for Joseph and Trevardo to stay fresh but the ability on 3rd and long to maybe move Joseph to DT and get more speed on the DL. The 4th DE, apparently from the UMass depth chart, is now Tim Willman, the RS Jr. of whom we saw little if any while he was a DT the last three years. I don't think that speaks well behind him for Jonathan Louis, now a RS Soph who we thought at first everyone liked but who hasn't made the field yet, or Adeyami, the RS Frosh from CT. Behind them are true, and probably redshirting, frosh NOrris and Battle Sanchez, and the walk-on Merrinan who played with Graham Stewart at Xavier.

DT is another story entirely. Last year, we lost two four year starters at the position -- All-American Kendall Reyes and the dependable Twyon Martin. Behind them and now starting are the huge Shamar Stephen, the RS Jr. from NY, and Ryan Wirth, the RS Sr. from NJ who waited his turn but had a really good spring game. While it's hard to think that we won't go down in production at DT, both of these guys were competent backups last year and may be average to above average starters this year. Of course, Stephen is starting the season injured and, per the depth chart and in a bit of a surprise, the RS Frosh Campenni will get the start. The 4th DT for now will be either Angelo Pruitt, who played against Cincy to end last year and had a pick. or BJ McBride, the RS Soph who was on the two deep at DE last year but barely played. Further depth willl come from the true frosh Myers, who hopefully will redshirt but about whom we've heard great things, and the walk-on Hopkins.

The bottom line is that, while the DL might not be as good as it was with Reyes and Martin gone, it might not take more than a small step back. Both Joseph and Trevardo could be much better this year than they were last year, and the DTs may, just may, be fine if not as good. Because the DBs and LBs should both be much stronger than last year, these losses should not keep the D as a whole from being significantly better, even before you get to the hope that the talent last year was better than the result as they struggled to learn Don Brown's ways.

Reaction Score
fantastic as always BL.
i was very surprised to see campenni as the starter as well. and im also surprised not to see Louis somewhere on the DC.

btw, i think its battles-santos...iirc

THC

Reaction Score
Battle Sanchez? Any relation to Dirty Sanchez?

Reaction Score
fantastic as always BL.
i was very surprised to see campenni as the starter as well. and im also surprised not to see Louis somewhere on the DC.

btw, i think its battles-santos...iirc

It is. I don't have my notes on vacation but didn't feel like waiting until next week. Sigh.

Reaction Score
Jennings was working a little bit at DT during the second open practice. Might be something to look for vs UMASS. I agree with you that Joseph seems to be better suited to move inside on occasion with Jennings at DE.

This may prove to be the best defense we have ever had, it without question is the deepest.

Reaction Score
Jennings for some reason reminded me of "the stork" last year. He seemed to have the ability to get his hands on ballcarriers and just drag them down. Him as the 3rd best DE is never mind a top BE DE group but a top group in the country.

Reaction Score
Jennings for some reason reminded me of "the stork" last year. He seemed to have the ability to get his hands on ballcarriers and just drag them down. Him as the 3rd best DE is never mind a top BE DE group but a top group in the country.

I agree, he reminds me of "the stork" as well (both tall guys named Ted I guess). I thought Jennings outplayed Joseph last year, but Joseph was never 100%. Jennings is a very instinctive football player, always seems to be in the right place.

I would not be surprised to see all three in NFL training camps next year. I actually expect it.

Reaction Score
Once again, thanks Biz.

Hard not to be excited about our DEs. Reyes is a big hole to fill and without Stephan we'll be untested at DT.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It is. I don't have my notes on vacation but didn't feel like waiting until next week. Sigh.

That's twice this week you have used the "vacation" and "limited internets access" excuse.

No one on this board forced you to take vacation a week before the season started. It was your choice.

Either your game plan was poorly designed in terms of balancing work, timing of vacation, Uconn football and reliable internets access or you simply failed to execute a good game plan.

Not a good way to break fall camp leading in to the season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Battle Sanchez? Any relation to Dirty Sanchez?

Ole Senor Sanchez.

dirty-sanchez.jpg

Reaction Score
That's twice this week you have used the "vacation" and "limited internets access" excuse.

No one on this board forced you to take vacation a week before the season started. It was your choice.

Either your game plan was poorly designed in terms of balancing work, timing of vacation, Uconn football and reliable internets access or you simply failed to execute a good game plan.

Not a good way to break fall camp leading in to the season.

Presumably, I would blame it on a failure of others to execute.

Reaction Score
are you really going to plead the Rangoon doctrine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom