#2 UConn 99, #16 DePaul 63, AP story | The Boneyard

#2 UConn 99, #16 DePaul 63, AP story

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This was the 1st game I've seen through...
Some ideas about the newbies:

There was talk from Geno that he needed Christyn to be more involved in the offense...and tonight she was.

-She made a Maya-like drive and finger roll to the hoop and a brilliant rebound and follow-up under the hoop as well as other fine shots.
-Her D is improving but there were some lapses.

Still, the transformation into a bona fide UConn type is not complete (how could it be?), but this game was a step in the right direction.

Olivia had a few decent moments on offense, even on D, but she hasn't yet assimilated the speed and intensity of the college game, nor the requirements of a UConn contributer. How fast will she learn? Who knows.

Surely the team is coming along...whether they can match the talent, bulk, size and experience of ND is a very interesting question.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have to say this was 50-50 win. KLS, Collier, Williams, Walker were on their games. DePaul's execution and surprisingly coaching was terrible. Both halves started out with DePaul showing patience, driving past UConn for layups or passing out for 3 pointers. I believe DePaul outscored UConn by 15+ to begin the second half. After about 7 minutes, DePaul just began to shuck 3's, missing 90%+ particularly in 1st half. DePaul coaches never seemed to be able to get them back in the game that worked.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Have to say this was 50-50 win. KLS, Collier, Williams, Walker were on their games. DePaul's execution and surprisingly coaching was terrible. Both halves started out with DePaul showing patience, driving past UConn for layups or passing out for 3 pointers. I believe DePaul outscored UConn by 15+ to begin the second half. After about 7 minutes, DePaul just began to shuck 3's, missing 90%+ particularly in 1st half. DePaul coaches never seemed to be able to get them back in the game that worked.
Sorry, but that's always been Bruno's game. Run, chuck and duck. But also give UConn credit. Their length on the perimeter gave them issues. Also UConn pressed on the perimeter and were still able for the most part to keep their mark in front of them. That, and when UConn got their rebounds everyone dribbles the ball up the court to create transition opportunities. Tough.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
From the write-up:

Bruno coached the game while leaning on a crutch. He said he will undergo spinal fusion surgery on Dec. 11 to fix what has become a debilitating back problem that makes it difficult for him to walk.​
"Maybe I'll be back (this season), maybe I won't," he said. "We've got a great group of assistant coaches that will run this thing if I can't come back."​
I saw him with the crutch during the Syracuse game and was wondering what's up. I wish Doug the best. Spinal fusion surgery is no small thing.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Also from the AP story:

"You just go through some cycles where the kids you want, you know it's a longshot," Auriemma said. "So, why don't you take some other kids? I don't want them. But you have to do something. So, we got a really good player. Aubrey Griffin is really, really good and she fits us perfectly."​

Two "really's" and a "fits us perfectly."

Reaction Score
Bad part about the game is the starters have to play way too many minutes despite the big blow out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Been down here in Florida for 2+ years. Haven't missed a game on TV. We use Apple TV - go to the ESPN app/ channel and there is the game.
I’m currently in temporary housing so it’s not my cable. I’m signing a lease today but won’t be moving into my own place for a week or two, depending on when the furniture gets here. So, cable hell. At least I get ESPN and ESPN2 so I can see the men and women on Sunday

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Christyn's dribbling some 75 feet against pressure...all with her off-hand....and finishing with the off-hand layup was a thrill.

I loved the way she was so controlled going at 3/4 speed and making sure she kept her defender on her hip so she knew where she was and could make the appropriate finish and draw some contact. Real genius.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Darn technological deprivation. And I'm sure the Chat Room gave you the most unbiased, fair minded and accurate view of the entire game.
Ha! :rolleyes:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I’m currently in temporary housing so it’s not my cable. I’m signing a lease today but won’t be moving into my own place for a week or two, depending on when the furniture gets here. So, cable hell. At least I get ESPN and ESPN2 so I can see the men and women on Sunday
Guess that explains the Alice in Wonderland avatar. A surreal situation!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Guess that explains the Alice in Wonderland avatar. A surreal situation!
No, the Alice avatar is because I sometimes feel like I fell down the rabbit hole, wondering if I'm seeing a different team and players than the ones some people complain about. It's like there are folks that aren't happy unless they're miserable.

Reaction Score
While the bench players aren't where we all would like them to be, they don't look as lost on the court as a group. I also was encouraged that no one looked like they were panicking when De Paul made their run at the start of the second half.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yes, at least have I have that
I feel like such a dumba**. For the second time in a week I have asked someone who is posting on the Boneyard if they had access to the UCONNHUSKY game replays (ie. the internet). DOH!!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I feel like such a dumba**. For the second time in a week I have asked someone who is posting on the Boneyard if they had access to the UCONNHUSKY game replays (ie. the internet). DOH!!!!
No worries. Some people may not be aware that the game replays are posted here. It's good to remind us every now and then.

Reaction Score
I feel that Coombs has such athleticism. She hung in the air around the rim for that one layup shows her elite athleticism and talent. If she can have the game slow down for her, she can contribute 6-8points and get 4-6 rebounds a game for us in about 10-15 minutes. Kyla tries so hard and her effort is amazing, but she just lacks the foot speed and jumping ability to alter shots and bang against the bigger more athletic bigs. Lastly, I feel ONO is getting better, just her leaping ability gets her to rebounds so much easier than anyone we have on the team. If we can develop her post game and just tell her to alter shots, and rebound that will go a long way for us.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
No worries. Some people may not be aware that the game replays are posted here. It's good to remind us every now and then.
As usual, you had the great idea to put a game replay thread at the top of the WBB Threads!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom