2/3 of the Season Down. Was/Is/Next | The Boneyard

2/3 of the Season Down. Was/Is/Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
2/3 of the way through the season and there's more than enough tape against different style teams to know what to expect the rest of the season.

QB- Going in to the season no one knew what to expect from Shireffs. He has played well; comparable to a healthy Tyler Lorenrzen. Decent arm and good legs. Going forward he needs to start sliding. I'm half convinced all those hits yesterday directly affected his poor throwing game. This is his first season playing QB full time and you can tell he's hesitant and unsure on some throws and reads. And hesitation from the QB destroys passing plays. I expect his running to be the same next year and passing decisiveness to improve.

RBs- Less excited going forward than I was in August. The disappearance and misuse of RJ is befuddling. Trying to have him run sweeps or zone reads out wide is not what he is built to do. Quick, direct down hill runs should be his play calls. According to coaches he still needs lots of work on pass blocking making his appearance in the game a tip off to the D. The emergence of Newsome as an every down back has been good. Coaches have used him effectively and there's room for improvement. He's only getting 12-15 carries a game which is good. They are using him in space outside and giving him chances. He's done a great job finishing runs and holding on to the ball. Marriner's inability to get carries is a bummer.

TE's- Disappointing overall. Looks at both Bloom's and Myers' YPC and it's impressive. Both have been mediocre at best blocking for the run or the pass.

WR's- Major disappointment. Lucas's performance was very inconsistent on the field and no one has stepped up to replace him. Thomas has been good but he has to make those catches yesterday. Cincy had five receivers better than him yesterday.

OL- Disappointing overall. Best we've seen from UConn in four years but still below average. Plenty of time to grow as a unit and I believe the talent is there. Disappointed in Levy this year. He gets beat a lot. Inside, outside and right through him. We knew the middle would be a question mark and it's been inconsistent. I believer Vechery has done above what I thought he would. All this experience will help him next year. Three years of Vechery, Crozier and Hopkins is a building block.

Offensive Coaching- Verducci has come up with some of the more creative plays we've seen out of UConn in a while. I'm confused by his use of RJ and the time it takes to call plays is unacceptable.

Defensive Tackles- Good but I expected more. I thought this group would be unholy terrors blowing up plays more often. Still one of the better units going forward.

DE's- Disappointing to neutral. For me, this is a difficult position to grade because of the defensive scheme. They get decent pressure on the QB but few sacks. I think their lack of sacks has as much to with UConn not blitzing often and DB's giving the QB too many looks at the first option. The DE's and OLB's need to work together setting the edge against the run and aren't very good doing that.

LB's- Very disappointing. Bad angles, average athleticism, poor pass coverage and bad tackling. Definitely expected more from this group this year. All positions shou
ST's- Way better than I expected. Punts have been fine. They put Vitale back to return punts and he at least catches them. Punt coverage has been fine all year. KO return are average, no major screw up there. Puyol has been very good on FG's and
ld be up for grabs next year.

CB's- A Little better than I expected. They have good ball skills overall and make plays. Depth is a concern.

S's- Major disappointment. It is painful watching either one of them try to defend the pass. Bad angles and missed tackles against the run.

Coaching- Underperforming so far. The bend but don't break has gotten torched by running teams like Navy and the second half against USF. Passing teams have torched them as well.

ST's- Way better than I expected. Punts have been fine. They put Vitale back to return punts and he at least catches them. Punt coverage has been fine all year. KO return are average, no major screw up there. Puyol has been very good on FG's and the blocked PAT's have been corrected. The fake punt worked great. The first fake FG call against Mizzou was a great call. All but yesterday's onside kicks have all been good enough for UConn to recover or have a hand on the ball. The coaching of this unit has been the best so far this year. they have actually changed schemes and personnel based on game film.

Coaching Overall- Way disappointing. More disappointing than any group of players. Inability to get plays called, misusing TO's, poor clock management, inability or unwillingness to adapt in game. The USF ad Mizzou losses can be hung on the staff.

I am optimistic about the talent on the field, optimistic about the conditioning and work put in during the week and pessimistic about game day coaching. I'm still uncertain if BD is head coach material.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, you are way too hard on our players. I believe our defensive philosophy/schemes have led to the ineffective look of our personnel. Our LB's never blitz, nor do we ever game plan to have our DLine perform stunts. Our Safeties and DB's are caught in a perpetual no mans land of open areas of the ineffective zone we employ. Our defense is the prisoner of a faulty defensive philosophy. Our players are vastly better than we allow them to show.
Our receivers/TE's are so ineptly deployed its almost criminal. The repetitive bubble screens without blockers in front are an every game occurance. We fail to use slants, screens, or over the middle crossing routes. And don't tell me they can't compete. Let's trade--straight up--our receivers with Cincy. Tell me how that game would have been different. Our "Cincy" WR's would be stymied all day with our play calls and their "Husky" grouping would be wide open in those soft zone spaces.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, you are way too hard on our players. I believe our defensive philosophy/schemes have led to the ineffective look of our personnel. Our LB's never blitz, nor do we ever game plan to have our DLine perform stunts. Our Safeties and DB's are caught in a perpetual no mans land of open areas of the ineffective zone we employ. Our defense is the prisoner of a faulty defensive philosophy. Our players are vastly better than we allow them to show.
Our receivers/TE's are so ineptly deployed its almost criminal. The repetitive bubble screens without blockers in front are an every game occurance. We fail to use slants, screens, or over the middle crossing routes. And don't tell me they can't compete. Let's trade--straight up--our receivers with Cincy. Tell me how that game would have been different. Our "Cincy" WR's would be stymied all day with our play calls and their "Husky" grouping would be wide open in those soft zone spaces.

I agree more blame goes to coaching schemes but the players have made big mistakes too.

The first fake FG call against Mizzou completely caught Mizzou off guard. A slightly underthrown ball and a poor attempt by Bloom blows up the play. Hopkins' hold on 1st and goal yesterday. Drops by WR's/TE's and RB's.

On defense I agree the schemes put players on their heels and not their toes. But the players are still missing tackles and taking poor angles.

I said coaching has cost the team two wins this year but players share culpability.

Reaction Score
I don't know why Ron Johnson is still getting play time at this point. He's been ineffective all year running, can't pass block, isn't a receiving threat. Give one of the other backs a shot to be the #2 guy.

Reaction Score
We fail to use slants, screens, or over the middle crossing routes.
Unfortunately most of our passing plays look like screens w/ the way the defense pours through the o-line. ;)

Frustratingly, there is more than enough blame to go around between sideline scheme/decision making and between the lines execution.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately most of our passing plays look like screens w/the way the defense pours through the O-line

That's right, and that's the problem. Knowing that the O-line is soft (not hoping they are stouter than they are) calls for much quicker routes--slants--quick throws to big tight ends--even crossing routes. Second receiving option on each play should be made crystal clear to BS so he can make a quicker passing decision before tucking the ball and running. And throwing into double coverage is seldom smart.

Reaction Score
econd receiving option on each play should be made crystal clear to BS so he can make a quicker passing decision before tucking the ball and running. And throwing into double coverage is seldom smart.

This is the coaches fault???

Reaction Score
Yes it is. Not stressing the second option. Not advising against the double coverage throw.

Oh, you're in the meetings and practices? You know what's being stressed?

Maybe the boneyard should write an email to BS telling him throwing into double coverage is bad? Then our problems will be solved.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A) I'm not sure that the options on each play haven't been fully stressed to our starting QB.

B) It appears that BS is much more comfortable throwing to a standing target than a moving target (which eliminates crossing patterns and slants). We need to start accepting that there are constraints (in terms of capabilities of the young men who are playing) that the staff attempting to work around.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
To take further what is being addressed in this thread; I remember a men's basketball game (I believe it was the 90-91 season) against Georgetown (when they had both Mourning & Mutombo) where we were continually fouling their bigs on dnse and driving inside to a miss or blocked shot on offense. After the game (we lost by a reasonable margin) JC said (I'm paraphrasing) "If we show that we are intimidated by what they have inside, we can't beat them". While it may look, from a logical standpoint that we need to change what we want to do, due to what the opponent is capable of, doing so may not be the best way to build what we want built, even if it does give us a better chance of winning one game early in the development.

Reaction Score
I don't know why Ron Johnson is still getting play time at this point. He's been ineffective all year running, can't pass block, isn't a receiving threat. Give one of the other backs a shot to be the #2 guy.
Where is Mariner and Max?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
WR's- Major disappointment. Lucas's performance was very inconsistent on the field and no one has stepped up to replace him. Thomas has been good but he has to make those catches yesterday. Cincy had five receivers better than him yesterday.

In defense of Thomas, most of those balls his way were uncatchable and were horrible throws by BS who had his worst throwing day of the year yesterday. Thomas has made some fantastic catches this year when given a chance and rarely if ever flubs the easy catch. He's also a good blocker which we have used a lot this year (sad but true).

Like some other parts of the offense (i.e. TEs, Beals), he seems to be underused and it always goes back to the OL. WRs on teams with a weak OL rarely perform well because they aren't given any time to create separation or use more than 20% of the field.

Reaction Score
Where is Mariner and Max?
Mariner hasn't even been in on KO returns, Max was back there yesterday. I have to wonder if Mariner has suffered too many blows to the head and is being handled carefully. I would much rather see Max, then Ron Jon. Max can catch the ball, runs hard, and has been a great teammate. He deserves a shot and maybe, it lights a fire under RJ's ass. Although, IMHO Arkeel can be an every down back, getting 25-30 touches per game. He needs someone to give him a breather. I'm all for giving Max a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom