1st Commit 2016: 6' 4" QB Donovan Williams (Va) | The Boneyard

1st Commit 2016: 6' 4" QB Donovan Williams (Va)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Williams is listed in the Rivals.com database as an athlete. 6-foot-3, 202-pounder has a great physique and broad shoulders, so it's easy to see why some schools are projecting him to another position in college. his unique combination of size and ability he should be able to find an FBS home if he's willing to experiment playing positions other than quarterback.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
According to 24/7, he is a composite 3 star and had interest from Penn St, Virginia, Va Tech, Duke, OSU, FSU. He's also listed as an athlete so it's possible some of the bigger programs wanted him to play another position but he chose us because we'll let him play QB. Also no idea which of those schools actually offered.

Without knowing much about him, I'd guess that he's relatively mobile since he's listed as an athlete. Fits in with what Diaco seems to want. As long as Diaco is getting the guys he wants it's a positive. Just a matter of time before we see how good he is at evaluating talent.

Reaction Score
According to 24/7, he is a composite 3 star and had interest from Penn St, Virginia, Va Tech, Duke, OSU, FSU. He's also listed as an athlete so it's possible some of the bigger programs wanted him to play another position but he chose us because we'll let him play QB. Also no idea which of those schools actually offered.

Without knowing much about him, I'd guess that he's relatively mobile since he's listed as an athlete. Fits in with what Diaco seems to want. As long as Diaco is getting the guys he wants it's a positive. Just a matter of time before we see how good he is at evaluating talent.
He is listed as Dual Threat - QB so I would assume he can move around pretty well.

Reaction Score
Great news. Would love to see him playing a leadership role as to other prospects/recruits via Twitter, a la Tyler Davis

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Great news. Would love to see him playing a leadership role as to other prospects/recruits via Twitter, a la Tyler Davis
My thoughts exactly. Welcome to the team Donovan.

Reaction Score
Glad Donovan Williams has verbally committed... With his physical gifts I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up killing it another position on the field for us though...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I will always be on the let's see it on the field side of the recruiting fence, but I have to give the staff some credit for what seems like a more credentialed class than we are used to seeing in the toughest recruiting environment we've seen.

Reaction Score
From AK @ TOS:

>>"UConn has been in strong contact with me since March," he told UConn Report. "Coach Poindexter visited my school during the spring recruiting period. I actually knew him from his time at UVA. He liked what he saw so a few weeks later the QB coach (Wayne Lineburg) watched me throw and we set up a date to visit campus."<<

>>A solid rapport with quarterbacks coach Wayne Lineburg helped him make his decision as well. "He told me I can come in and be the face of the program. Coach Lineburg said he's going to work with me and do everything in his power to take my game to the next level."<<

>>Donovan knows that he has a special responsibility as the first member of UConn's Class of 2016. "It's a leadership role that I have to take control of, and then get more guys around me who want to turn the program around and have the same aspirations. I'm going to reach out to some other prospects and see if I can get them on board."<<

Reaction Score
I have a question though. When did they change the rule to let the quarterback throw it down the field like that? And the other guy is supposed to catch it? How come UConn never tried that? Looks like it could be very exciting.

You know what? I have to say, I actually saw this a good number of times at the UCONN spring game. I'm thinking we might try it this year!

PS Welcome Donovan!

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I find myself feeling mildly euphoric this evening about our QB situation and team leadership going forward. However, just to stay true to my CT Yankee heritage, I know I have to keep my expectations realistic. So, I'll try to keep this new-found optimism tempered with thoughts of all the things that could go wrong and still needing fixing with the program . . . for as long as I can. ;)

Reaction Score
Forget the QB and sign the OL. Looking at most of the plays on the link they gave him more than enough time to do whatever he wanted with the ball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Kill me however you'd like.

Flipping a JMU recruit for your first verbal is pathetic.

Reaction Score
Anyone have a list of QB's who made a name for themselves and didn't go to a "major" university? Oh Wait...I do. :rolleyes:

Ben Roethlisberger, Miami OH
Chad Pennington Marshall
Byron Leftwich Marshall
David Garrard E. Carolina
Josh McCown Sam Houston St.
Jeff Blake E. Carolina
Jake Delhomme Louisiana – Lafayette
Jon Kitna Central Washington
Kelly Holcomb Middle Tennessee State
David Carr Fresno St
J. T. O'Sullivan Cal-Davis
Tony Romo E. ILL