1998 rewind - #16 Harvard vs. #1 Stanford | The Boneyard

1998 rewind - #16 Harvard vs. #1 Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I remember wanting to stay up to watch this game, but knew that it would be really tough next day at work.

LINK

I still am amazed that Stanford got a #1 seed with the Nygaard A_L injury, and yet they banished UConn to a #2 seed with Sales achilles injury. Grrr ....

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, and UConn did okay with its #2 seed, winning 92-53 in its first round game.

Geography had to have had a lot to do with it. UConn had the better credentials for a #1 seed with both teams missing a star player, but there was that #1 spot to fill out in the West Region in Oakland, and the committee decided that since UConn's player was definitely out and that the situation with Nygaard was not completely confirmed, that the Cardinal would get the spot. Texas Tech was the furthest west seed, but they were set for the Lubbock regional. Then of course, not only was Nygaard's results confirmed, but Fokl went down in practice, and in the game they just couldn't beat a p'd-off Harvard team who'd gotten a rotten seed.

Of course if Tara hadn't decided to go walking her dog (oh yeahhhh), she would have been able to spare her team the historical ignominy of being that only one.

Reaction Score
I did stay up half the night watching that game. One of my sons was friends with a couple of players on the Harvard team and I had met them and went to the games when they played Yale. Just like with the UConn women, I felt that if I didn't watch them play that night it might somehow be my fault if they lost. I remember writing some smack on a fan board the day before the game :rolleyes:
And I was cheering and yelling like crazy when they won. Woke up the snoozing husband.:p

Reaction Score
NCAA has an on demand youtube channel with TONS of men's games. It would be great if they'd do the same for the women, including this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom