185,000 GSF Hockey Arena Planned | The Boneyard

185,000 GSF Hockey Arena Planned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A brief blurb in the Capital Project Administration September 14th Town Hall Presentation indicated that a 185,000 GSF arena is planned. No additional information provided. I don't know how this proposed arena compares to other hockey arenas in HE. The new proposed student recreational complex is scheduled to be a 200,000 GSF building. It appears that the new arena will be an impressive building.

Reaction Score
A brief blurb in the Capital Project Administration September 14th Town Hall Presentation indicated that a 185,000 GSF arena is planned. No additional information provided. I don't know how this proposed arena compares to other hockey arenas in HE. The new proposed student recreational complex is scheduled to be a 200,000 GSF building. It appears that the new arena will be an impressive building.

Very Interesting.

QU TD Bank Facility is 185kGSF but that is for hockey rink on one side and basketball court on the other.

Reaction Score
Expected nothing less from the UCONN athletic department. Facility wise it will give Cav a recruiting tool, being able to go apples to apples with the top HE programs.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Do we know where it is going yet?

Reaction Score
BU's 6000+ seat Agganis Arena, which is primarily for men's hockey (the women still play at Walter Brown) but also used for some basketball games and commercial events, is 200K gsf. A dedicated rink at 185K gsf would be a major commitment to hockey.

Reaction Score
So when we winning our first national championship in hockey??

This season.

frozenfour_2015_340x190-9462.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm gonna figure that a 185,000 GSF facility will have about 5500 seating capacity give or take. Since it is only for hockey it may be closer to 6000 because they can maximize the seat locations. As I posted before..expect nothing less from UCONN athletics, and this administration. When you take this kind of a jump in athletics, you have to go all in. This administration "gets that"! Great times are ahead for UCONN hockey (both men & women), the growing pains will be worth it. As for location, the last I have heard was putting it either next to the new student activities center on the old X Lot property (they would share the major utilities such as water, sewer, and electrical runs) or where the Fieldhouse presently sits.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna figure that a 185,000 GSF facility will have about 5500 seating capacity give or take. Since it is only for hockey it may be closer to 6000 because they can maximize the seat locations. As I posted before..expect nothing less from UCONN athletics, and this administration. When you take this kind of a jump in athletics, you have to go all in. This administration "gets that"! Great times are ahead for UCONN hockey (both men & women), the growing pains will be worth it. As for location, the last I have heard was putting it either next to the new student activities center on the old X Lot property (they would share the major utilities such as water, sewer, and electrical runs) or where the Fieldhouse presently sits.

According to an article in UConn's Daily Campus a couple of days ago, it sounds like the old X Lot property will not the site of the new student activities center:

http://dailycampus.com/addition-rec-center-will-result-new-student-fee/

The article doesn't mention the new ice hockey facility, but perhaps this proposed change of location for the student rec center was made so that the new rink might be located at X Lot.

Reaction Score
According to an article in UConn's Daily Campus a couple of days ago, it sounds like the old X Lot property will not the site of the new student activities center:

http://dailycampus.com/addition-rec-center-will-result-new-student-fee/

The article doesn't mention the new ice hockey facility, but perhaps this proposed change of location for the student rec center was made so that the new rink might be located at X Lot.
db that project sounds like it has morphed from a really nice facility, into a project that is in the fast lane to becoming a complete and utter disaster!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why is it on the fast lane to becoming "a complete and utter disaster"?

I think the hockey arena is destined for X-lot.

Reaction Score
Why is it on the fast lane to becoming "a complete and utter disaster"?

I think the hockey arena is destined for X-lot.
They were both supposed to go there..although the last I talked to a friend of mine who works up on campus in public safety he said that had been scrapped and it was now going where the field house is. As for the REc center becoming a complete utter disaster...the rec center plan was presented to the BOT with 2 options..1 was small and would not really work, the other was going to be of a size that it would be able to serve the student body for a long time w/o space restrictions. The cost per student through activity fees was minimal for the bigger building, so the BOT passed that plan (it was the one recommended by Herbst). Now all of the sudden that plan seems to have been scrapped. One doesn't really have anything to do with the other Fishy...I just think that the students deserve what's needed facility wise for a rec center...especially if they are going to foot a fair share of the bill via their student activities fee....not some renovation/addition.

Reaction Score
A dime back reported today the leading site is now on the corner of 195 and 275 where Mansfield apartments currently stand.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's interesting.

I'm a little skeptical, though.

First, ah, there are apartments there.

Second, while it's accessible, there's no parking which means that infrastructure has to be added.

Third, seriously, there are people living there.

On the flip side, even on a huge campus, space is at a premium and perhaps the master planners have determined another use for the X lot site.

Just not sure I'm buying into it yet.

Reaction Score
I could see tearing down Mansfield Apartments at RT 195 and 275 and putting in larger dorms, either 3 or 4 story buildings, but to put the new rink there with no parking makes little sense. I would think most hockey games would have half the crowd being students but you still need parking for 2,500 other fans.

Reaction Score
That's interesting.

I'm a little skeptical, though.

First, ah, there are apartments there.

Second, while it's accessible, there's no parking which means that infrastructure has to be added.

Third, seriously, there are people living there.

On the flip side, even on a huge campus, space is at a premium and perhaps the master planners have determined another use for the X lot site.

Just not sure I'm buying into it yet.

Reaction Score
The University just completed Phase 2 of a modernization project of the Mansfield Apartments this summer. The University took a lot of criticism recently for wanting to spend a million dollars to replace a roof on a building that is scheduled to be torn down in a few years. I doubt the University want anymore criticism regarding its spending habits. Plus the proposed location is terrible.

Reaction Score
This is our chance to become a hockey school. They better not duckk this arena up!

Reaction Score
Skeptical as well, but from a master planning standpoint this location makes more sense than the others that have been discussed (assuming they will also be building a garage in proximity). There is only so much real estate that is walkable to the core and close in proximity to the existing science cluster. As an added bonus, a Hockey facility on the center will help the area develop further.

Reaction Score
There is a new parking garage in the Storrs center which is walkable from the proposed site. As well as a pretty big lot where the new grocery store went in. Both are across 195 but doable.

I'm still skeptical also.

Reaction Score
I am skeptical too. Just wanted to throw it out there since I saw it on the web- but maybe should not have since it could just be another example of a "journalist" guessing or going off less than reputable sources. It also seemed odd since it was off campus but close by....

Regardless you would think that there is a mandate for UCONN to build the arena and an annoucement should be forthcoming soon one would think...maybe in the next 20 minutes...

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
As someone who just graduated this probably is the best location possible for the school and the town.

1. The arena would meet at 195 and 275 which gives direct access to 44/32/84/384- best possible situation for traffic.
2. Mansfield Apartments has vacant housing spaces all the time and it's demolition has been discussed extensively for the last 10 years
3. There is room for another large parking garage on site
4. Close proximity and exposure to the new Storrs Center ($$)
5. Space- this is a huge lot
6. There is an awesome pond behind Mansfield Apartments for pond hockey (irrelevant but kinda cool that the two could be right next to each other)
7. Walkable from campus

Reaction Score
As someone who just graduated this probably is the best location possible for the school and the town.

1. The arena would meet at 195 and 275 which gives direct access to 44/32/84/384- best possible situation for traffic.
2. Mansfield Apartments has vacant housing spaces all the time and it's demolition has been discussed extensively for the last 10 years
3. There is room for another large parking garage on site
4. Close proximity and exposure to the new Storrs Center ( )
5. Space- this is a huge lot
6. There is an awesome pond behind Mansfield Apartments for pond hockey (irrelevant but kinda cool that the two could be right next to each other)
7. Walkable from campus
The land area associated with the apartment complex is relatively small based upon the Mansfield GIS mapping system. There's a large vacant parcel not owned by UCONN to the rear of the complex that's designated as open space. This open space parcel contains with a pond and a significant amount of wetlands. I highly doubt that the open space can be developed. The previous master plan called for a parking garage to be built on the South Campus parking lot. The rink could be built on the South Campus parking lot along with a new garage. It's a good location with easy access to Storrs Center, dorms and Routes 195 & 275. A new honor dorm complex is scheduled to break ground on South Campus at the intersection of Gilbert and Mansfield Roads in 2015. So there will an increase demand for student parking in the area. I think the South Campus parking lot is a truly valuable, under utilized parcel that would make a great location for the ice rink.

Reaction Score
Look at page seven of the linked presentation given at a public meeting on Sept 18.
http://paes.uconn.edu/Public_Next_Generations_CT_Outreach_Pres_9-18-2014.pdf
I wonder if that is more or less the final version of the Master plan. What are the buildings at the corner of Rtes 195 and 275? Could this be the hockey rink or the student recreation facility. It looks like there is also some sort of field enclosed by the buildings a wall. Or is that a roof with vegetation on it like some other new buildings on campus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom