'16 season a possible ACC audition? | The Boneyard

'16 season a possible ACC audition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll preface this by saying that I am an FSU fan that pays close attention to the conference realignment landscape as well as the latest ACC news.

The latest report is that ESPN as part of the ACCN deal, demands every team in the ACC to play a 9 game conference schedule +` 1 P5 OOC team or 8 game conference schedule + 2 P5 OOC games for network content. The ACC members are rumored to make a decision in October (basketball ACC media day). Whether the rumor is true or not does not matter, the decision will be made sooner or later. I will get to how it relates to UConn soon.

Here's the fun part: The ACCN is going to need content and there are at least 4 schools who are opposed to a 9 game conference schedule because it means they are not going to reach 7 home games in certain years and it will cause a revenue loss. Assuming that 9 conference games are off the table, then that leaves the 8+2 option...or the ACC could add 1 more member and come close to giving ESPN what it wants with a 8+1 model. Doing the math that is 60 conference games and 15 P5 OOC games which is 3 conference games less and 1 P5 game more than the 9+1 model.

Of course Notre Dame is the obvious choice for #15 and they will likely get the most say on who they want as #16, but at the same time the ACC could just go ahead and add the other team for the reasons stated above and wait for ND to join (if ever) later.

There are all kinds of scenarios that people have speculated on about Texas or WVU coming to the ACC if the Big12 falls apart and even if it does, there is no guarantee the ACC would want them as members. For now, let's assume the Big12 expands, stabilizes and sign an extension of their Grant of Rights which I think will happen anyway. If UConn does not end up in the Big12, it could be for the best as UConn and Navy are the only 2 expansion choices left (besides ND) in the ACC footprint. In this scenario, the choice would be almost unanimous with UConn except ND will probably want Navy and SU and BC may still hold a grudge.

What UConn can do to lock up an ACC spot is to do well in the AAC and show up in droves when they play ACC schools. There are a lot of reasons why UConn makes the most sense, good luck in your audition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll preface this by saying that I am an FSU fan that pays close attention to the conference realignment landscape as well as the latest ACC news.

The latest report is that ESPN as part of the ACCN deal, demands every team in the ACC to play a 9 game conference schedule +` 1 P5 OOC team or 8 game conference schedule + 2 P5 OOC games for network content. The ACC members are rumored to make a decision in October (basketball ACC media day). Whether the rumor is true or not does not matter, the decision will be made sooner or later. I will get to how it relates to UConn soon.

Here's the fun part: The ACCN is going to need content and there are at least 4 schools who are opposed to a 9 game conference schedule because it means they are not going to reach 7 home games in certain years and it will cause a revenue loss. Assuming that 9 conference games are off the table, then that leaves the 8+2 option...or the ACC could add 1 more member and come close to giving ESPN what it wants with a 8+1 model. Doing the math that is 60 conference games and 15 P5 OOC games which is 3 conference games less and 1 P5 game more than the 9+1 model.

Of course Notre Dame is the obvious choice for #15 and they will likely get the most say on who they want as #16, but at the same time the ACC could just go ahead and add the other team for the reasons stated above and wait for ND to join (if ever) later.

There are all kinds of scenarios that people have speculated on about Texas or WVU coming to the ACC if the Big12 falls apart and even if it does, there is no guarantee the ACC would want them as members. For now, let's assume the Big12 expands, stabilizes and sign an extension of their Grant of Rights which I think will happen anyway. If UConn does not end up in the Big12, it could be for the best as UConn and Navy are the only 2 expansion choices left (besides ND) in the ACC footprint. In this scenario, the choice would be almost unanimous with UConn except ND will probably want Navy and SU and BC may still hold a grudge.

What UConn can do to lock up an ACC spot is to do well in the AAC and show up in droves when they play ACC schools. There are a lot of reasons why UConn makes the most sense, good luck in your audition.

a. This has been discussed ad nauseun on our conference realignment board.
b. The games against Virginia & Syracuse will be well attended & we'll travel well to BC.
c. We are not pinning our hopes to an ACC invite-that ship has sailed.
d.Thank you for your interest in UConn football/

Reaction Score
In reality, do schools like Clemson or Florida State have any potential interest in UConn -- unless they are ranked at least in the top 20 if not the top 10, and head to an impressive post-season bowl game. Is UConn going to be able to reach that level this season?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Don't be surprised if this gets moved to the Conference Realignment board.

There are a lot of logical reasons for UConn to end up in the ACC, but realignment has been far from logical, and the goalposts have almost always moved against us.

As far as the premise of this year's football performance being an audition for the ACC... I disagree for a few reasons. One, it's nice look for any potential conference, not just ACC. Two, although a breakout season can help (looking at you, Houston), I would think that the decision makers would rely on more data than the 2016 season. Lastly, out of any potential conference that UConn may join, our basketball success would likely be most valued in the ACC.

In short, we accept your invite, now we just need ND to join!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If the ACC wants UConn as #15, it better act fast before we sign that Big 12 GOR...and demolish any hope that BC and Syracuse will ever be relevant again.

Reaction Score
f29.png

Reaction Score

The e-f-f-i-n-g ACC can audition for us.

Show us that the ACC has abandoned the petty BS that kept us out in the first place. Yes, we had an AG who shouldn't have sued people personally, but don't consign UConn to the gulag forever because of it.

Show us that the ACC wants to strengthen its NE and NYC presence, because Syra... and B e-f-f-i-n-g C ain't getting it done for you.

Show us that the ACC wants to add members of legitimate academic quality and avoid academic jokes like Louisville.

Show us the ACC is willing to stand up to ND and tell them to fish or cut bait. ND is of dubious benefit to your football powers and does little for your olympic sports. It's a typical "one way street" deal for ND, so show us that the ACC will compel them to make a decision to throw in with the conference.

We have been auditioning for years and have continually out-shined the schools you have added in myriad ways. We're done auditioning - our real stage performances already speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
I think Garrett meant well but to say he was a close follower of CR and then claim UConn needs to audition, this after the ACC has been the most irresponsible conference in the entire CR mess while steadily lowering its prestige, well, he is bringing the wrath upon himself.

Reaction Score
@Garrett,
I actually don't read your post as demeaning and believe that you had the best intentions of honoring UConn with your inquiry. However, as you can see, 10 years of being p!ssed on by CR has left most of us a bit angry and sensitive. Our athletic prowess has been manipulated, discredited, demeaned, and insulted all while having our hard-fought and rightfully earned spot at the big boy table taken away from us. It is hard for us sometimes to stomach the "haves" coming along and trying sympathize with our situation. Most of them cannot begin to grasp what we feel as a fan base.

Just felt the need to explain the reaction to your post in case you don't get it.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
@RioDog I'd like to buy stock in your avatar for the next few weeks
While I'm not religious in any formal sense, I do believe that beyond the limits of logic and rationale all that's left is faith. Given the absence of rationale in CR, I'll stick with O Redentor. Also, every Brazilian futebol fan has photo-shopped Christ the Redeemer with their favorite team's jersey, so as a 5 year resident of Rio, I figured what the heck, why not UConn?

EDIT: My favorite pro club in Brazil, Vasco da Gama:

cristo%20redentor%20de%20vasco.jpg

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
An audition? Why would UConn, or any school for that matter, need an audition? This isn't a job interview where you haven't seen a person in action before. UConn's record speaks for itself. It has multiple basketball NC's and have been to a bowl in almost half of their full D-1 membership time.

Look, any school isn't invited UConn for football. They are inviting UConn for its athletic program as a whole, the state of Conneticutt and surrounding media markets (part of the NYC DMA) and basketball. Those are enough merit to be invited with out "auditions."

Reaction Score
An audition? Why would UConn, or any school for that matter, need an audition? This isn't a job interview where you haven't seen a person in action before. UConn's record speaks for itself. It has multiple basketball NC's and have been to a bowl in almost half of their full D-1 membership time.

Look, any school isn't invited UConn for football. They are inviting UConn for its athletic program as a whole, the state of Conneticutt and surrounding media markets (part of the NYC DMA) and basketball. Those are enough merit to be invited with out "auditions."

Audition? Yeah right.

Pi$$ off.

Thanks for posting these video clips - now I can watch some more video endlessly on repeat while my wife shakes her head wonders why she didn't marry the dentist...

Reaction Score

And don't forget academics, for any conference not named the ACC.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The poster is correct. Although we have much to trumpet, our past accomplishments have not garnered a P5 invite. As we have seen, conference realignment is all about "what can you do for me now?" for viewership and football. We have viewership with our TV market. If we have a strong football season this year, particularly playing well at the start of the season against Navy, Syracuse, Virginia, Houston, and UC, we will be invited to join a P5 conference before 2017.

Reaction Score
In reality, do schools like Clemson or Florida State have any potential interest in UConn -- unless they are ranked at least in the top 20 if not the top 10, and head to an impressive post-season bowl game. Is UConn going to be able to reach that level this season?

UCONN will have great opportunities against, BC, Cuse and VA in the next several years.

UCONN will be able to hold their own with anyone in the ACC. No question FSU, Clemson, (keep an eye out for Miami) and ND if they become a full member, are the cream of the ACC. Other than that, they can hang with any team in football in the ACC. UCONN played Cuse, Pitt, BC, VA tech and Ville in the Big East and we have fared well in football against VA, NC, NC State, Wake Forest and GA Tech.

I did a little research and considering UCONN was an FBS new comer in 2002 the Huskies overall fared rather well at 20-30 against ACC teams + ND in Football? There were also some close losses during those years.

BC..................0-4
Clemson........0-0
Duke..............2-0
GA Tech.........0-3
FSU................0-0
Ville................4-6
Miami.............0-1
NC..................0-2
NCS................0-2
Notre Dame....1-0
Pitt..................5-4
Syracuse..........6-3
VA....................1-1
VAT.................0-2
Wake................1-2
TOTAL............20-30

Couple this with what UCONN brings in Men's and Women's BBall plus Olympic sports, Soccer, Baseball, women's field hockey, etc. PLUS CT/NY TV market makes UCONN a natural for the ACC. This coming season is critically important and we know the powers in the ACC will certainly be taking notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom