#15 (2016) Jeannie Boehm 6'3" to Harvard | The Boneyard

#15 (2016) Jeannie Boehm 6'3" to Harvard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...rep-girls-basketball-boehm-harvard-story.html

I was keeping tabs on Boehm (who moved up to the #15 ranking on Prospects Nation recently) because it seemed like she had the grades to get admitted to Stanford. Alas, she just committed to Harvard, where her older brother played a few years ago.

That said, it's not clear if she was recruited by Stanford (article mentions other finalists of DePaul, Duke, Northwestern and Princeton).

I believe Stanford is in the mix for two good players from Southern California in 2016 (DiJonai Carrington and Celeste West – both top 40 on Blue Star). But it's too bad they haven't been able to maintain the level of recruiting that kept them in the Final Four for so long. For example, Hoopgurlz #5 Erin Boley (6'2" - KY) was definitely recruited by Stanford but opted for Notre Dame.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wonder why - this year was definitely a down year for them even tho they beat UCONN, and it doesn't seem like they are poised for a resurgence any time soon. I like Tara and wish they'd be stronger...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
For example, Hoopgurlz #5 Erin Boley (6'2" - KY) was definitely recruited by Stanford but opted for Notre Dame.

Reminds me of many head-to-head recruiting duels involving UConn in recent years; e.g., ND has at least three players that Geno recruited (Reimer, Mabrey, Westbeld, plus the aforementioned Boley); he also recruited Hammond and Smith, both of whom went to Louisville. Some 'Yarders moaned about Geno "losing" them, and other good prospects (DeShields, Mavunga, and McDaniel to UNC; two Samuelson sisters to Stanford; and Hunter and Williams to Duke.)

Just goes to show that "UConn is not for everyone." (Chris Dailey)

His successes vs. Tennessee have been stunning; going back a few years, Ralph, Strother, Doty, Delle Donne and (how could we -- or they) forget? -- Maya.

My examples do not comprise a comprehensive list, BUT. . .

. . . When you consider that Geno signed legends named Diana, Maya, and Stewie (not to mention many others who went on to be AAs or Olympians, or both), you just gotta like our chances with Lauren and Megan.:D

Reaction Score
Kibitzer is correct that although Geno recruited all of those ladies, they all decided to go in another direction. Their decisions are based on many different factors, I imagine confidence, playing time, familiarity with a certain college program and family considerations play heavily into their decisions. But although they all choose to go elsewhere, we continue to win NC and none of them have done so. Some of these girls may have been better basketball players then some of our girls, but it just proves the point that Geno's system and CD, Shea & Marissa and his coaching abilities are better then those at any other program. Although some thrive at being pushed to be their best, others resent it and make the decision to move onto a different environment. One thing is certain, although during each of our player's four years of collage they continue to shown a vast improvement in their understanding of the game and individual basketball skills, but the "TEAM" will always come first. During the past thirty years Geno has shown that he doesn't need the best players in the country, just the best players who are willing to sacrifice their individual statistics for the betterment of the team. He will then blend their individual talents together and teach them how to win as a team. By the way, he is really, really good at identifying and recruiting these types of players. Because of this, we will be enjoying UCONN basketball success for many more years.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Some kids may not choose UConn simply because they don't like Geno or another one of the coaches or some of the other players. As much as we love all of the parts of the UConn program, no person is universally liked.

The UConn program has done pretty good without those players who chose to go elsewhere. :)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Looking back -- WAAAY BACK! -- the only recruit that I thought Geno missed out on and regretted was Shay Doran. She and her family actually moved to America so she could spend her senior HS year at Christ the King and hone her superb basketball skills (and maybe brush up on her Chatecism:rolleyes:).The word was that she really wanted to go to UConn.

It didn't happen for whatever reason and she enrolled at Maryland. She played a key role in helping the Terps win an NC (their only one).

So while I don't lament the "loss" of most players I mentioned, I really wish Geno had reeled Ms Doran in.

Reaction Score
Some kids may not choose UConn simply because they don't like Geno or another one of the coaches or some of the other players. As much as we love all of the parts of the UConn program, no person is universally liked.

The UConn program has done pretty good without those players who chose to go elsewhere. :)
Some just choose to go else where for academic reasons, prestige of a school name. Some could just be too ambitious and think they can create a legend of their own by dethroning UConn.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of many head-to-head recruiting duels involving UConn in recent years; e.g., ND has at least three players that Geno recruited (Reimer, Mabrey, Westbeld, plus the aforementioned Boley); he also recruited Hammond and Smith, both of whom went to Louisville. Some 'Yarders moaned about Geno "losing" them, and other good prospects (DeShields, Mavunga, and McDaniel to UNC; two Samuelson sisters to Stanford; and Hunter and Williams to Duke.)

Just goes to show that "UConn is not for everyone." (Chris Dailey)

His successes vs. Tennessee have been stunning; going back a few years, Ralph, Strother, Doty, Delle Donne and (how could we -- or they) forget? -- Maya.

My examples do not comprise a comprehensive list, BUT. . .

. . . When you consider that Geno signed legends named Diana, Maya, and Stewie (not to mention many others who went on to be AAs or Olympians, or both), you just gotta like our chances with Lauren and Megan.:D
The Crimson/Harvard needs all the help they can get. They shall never be a top 4 team, they do well for a school that prides itself on education and culture. Geno and Christine have had very successful recruiting years. Very few bad years. So it's nice to see others getting some of the gravy.

Reaction Score
The Crimson/Harvard needs all the help they can get. They shall never be a top 4 team, they do well for a school that prides itself on education and culture. Geno and Christine have had very successful recruiting years. Very few bad years. So it's nice to see others getting some of the gravy.
Looking back -- WAAAY BACK! -- the only recruit that I thought Geno missed out on and regretted was Shay Doran. She and her family actually moved to America so she could spend her senior HS year at Christ the King and hone her superb basketball skills (and maybe brush up on her Chatecism:rolleyes:).The word was that she really wanted to go to UConn.

It didn't happen for whatever reason and she enrolled at Maryland. She played a key role in helping the Terps win an NC (their only one).

So while I don't lament the "loss" of most players I mentioned, I really wish Geno had reeled Ms Doran in.
He missed Toliver then too. Everyone thought an MD dynasty was in the making--takes more to stay on top than to get there.
But its nice to know some kids actually do read the CATECHISM~~!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
But its nice to know some kids actually do read the CATECHISM~~!!

Ahem.

Good catch. :) Obviously, I didn't master Catechism. I doubt Ms Doran, an Israeli, did either.;)

Reaction Score
Ahem.

Good catch. :) Obviously, I didn't master Catechism. I doubt Ms Doran, an Israeli, did either.;)
Better catch. I do know some christians/catholics that lived in Isreal--Doran gave me no clue. Not such a great catch from me--I had to aske my wife to spell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom