135 Players Attending U16 Trials | The Boneyard

135 Players Attending U16 Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
FullCourt - link

Wonder if 135 players are to many to be effective. Got to be a lot of time just sitting around and watching instead of playing. 33 Players were invited, which means 102 went to Colorado at their own expense. It will be interesting to see if any of the 102 make the team.

Noticed that not one player from CT. is attending the trial

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Was another thread on this a few days ago and I made a few comments regarding the numbers - just too many for this sort of thing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
With the younger teams I think a high number of kids is fine as a starting point. Practices can be organized to pass forward kids into a final pool of maybe 32-40. For 128 kids tart with 8 3 hour morning sessions of 16 each, pass on 8 from each to 4 3 hour afternoon sessions of 16 each, pass on 8 from each group for a final 32. Provide additional clinics for all those eliminated in the first 2 rounds select up to 8 at large choices to add in for the final 32-40 winnow down these to 24 and then 12 for the team.

Prior to starting the initial break downs have the staff clear on what they are looking for in players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it would be better if they are going to have this many attend to run a 'camp' for the first gathering and then have the trials with the selected 30+ as a separate gathering.
I think the idea of an application process is good at this age level as so many kids are playing that 'scouting' everyone is really impossible. But to have 135 in for a three day trial means you are making very rapid cuts and evaluating on single sessions and when you get back down to your pool, you have no time to really work the different possible combinations.
They could run the camp over Christmas if timing is the issue.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wrote in one of the other theads, I think they will pull mostly from the invited 33. BUT, if a kid or two happen to pop out during the trials (they would really have to stand out and do it quickly).

It would kinda like a open tryout for an NFL team. You gotta catch somebody's eye. Tough to do. I'd even go so far as to wear really bright shoes, a head band, dye my hair or something to draw attention to myself (ask questions, be first to volunteer - even if you don't know what your doing). Something someone can go "how about the girl with the ?" Definitely do not want to blend in (i.e. white/black girl with the pony tail, etc. be a few dozen of them.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think it would be better if they are going to have this many attend to run a 'camp' for the first gathering and then have the trials with the selected 30+ as a separate gathering.
I think the idea of an application process is good at this age level as so many kids are playing that 'scouting' everyone is really impossible. But to have 135 in for a three day trial means you are making very rapid cuts and evaluating on single sessions and when you get back down to your pool, you have no time to really work the different possible combinations.
They could run the camp over Christmas if timing is the issue.
Essentially what I am suggesting with the process of reduction built in. I think that "open" tryouts may well uncover some unknown gems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom