10 quick observations on Memphis game | The Boneyard

10 quick observations on Memphis game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I get to watch it:
1. Gabby slips very early on on the NY Life decal, even before Mo. Gotta do something about that beyond the letter "o". It's something to worry about beyond the quick fix.
2. Early on, Gabby makes a great move, and even though she misses the layup, it portends of a great, great future. By next year, she's going to be a talent on a whole other level.
3. Lou is obviously very coachable. Of course, her overall offensive court game is excellent, even if her 3's are inconsistent (they mentioned that she was hitting everything in practice). But her defense has improved greatly. She uses her height/length to take away the angles. The game is slowing down for her already.
4. Geno has decided on his starting line-up for the rest of the year. At the beginning of the 2nd quarter, the announcers said that Geno said that when Morgan comes back, Gabby goes back to 6th "man."
5. Great possession at the 7:00 mark of 2nd quarter with a couple of super hustle offensive rebounds
6. there are so many smiles by the kids while they're on the court: it's great to see them play so well and relaxed.
7. Natalie is psychologically where Lou was at the beginning of the year: more worried about what she might do wrong than determined to do what seems to her right. This will change: all the guys are so supportive of one another. Natalie is definitely Geno's next project, now that he feels Lou has the right direction.
8. Geno's disgusted with his team up only 34-12. Say that 3x and try to keep a straight face...
9. Lou misses a 6 footer and smiles when Gabby puts it back in. Those two are going to be doing a lot of things like that, with a lot of smiles. Along with Napheesa, Kia, Chrystal, there is going to be so much speed and fluidity next year.
10. I suspect I'm not the first to notice the amazing defense.:). but seriously, the switching is so flawless that it's almost a man-to-man zone, as the aggressive switching allows maximum pressure without maximum running around.

Reaction Score
Great summary- thanks.

Point #6 - I've noticed that too, smiles and general support - it's great to see.

In the previous game (I think it was Tulsa) I loved it when Sonia put that sweet hesitation move on the defender and drove for the layup- the bench simply exploded in support, it was great to see. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
10. I suspect I'm not the first to notice the amazing defense.:). but seriously, the switching is so flawless that it's almost a man-to-man zone, as the aggressive switching allows maximum pressure without maximum running around.
You can see surprise on the opponents' faces all the time with Uconn's switching defense - they are used to good defenses hedging on screens, but completely unprepared for a team that switches 1-5 on defense on every screen.

This is one reason that I think integration of Natalie on the defensive end of the floor is looking a little less smooth - she is the one player that really cannot switch from a big to a guard or wing so when she is playing, they either play a traditional center oriented zone defense, or they switch to a hedge and recover defense when her man is involved in a screen. It is not that dissimilar to what the team did last year with Kiah Stokes, but Stokes could perform in a pinch out at the arc where Natalie cannot.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Enjoyed your post, bags.

8. Geno's disgusted with his team up only 34-12. Say that 3x and try to keep a straight face...
I think they had 38 at the half.
10. I suspect I'm not the first to notice the amazing defense.:). but seriously, the switching is so flawless that it's almost a man-to-man zone, as the aggressive switching allows maximum pressure without maximum running around. I'm glad you wrote that. It looked pretty good to me, too, but I'm no expert on such matters.

Reaction Score
great high-level analysis, UcMiami: thanks!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You can see surprise on the opponents' faces all the time with Uconn's switching defense - they are used to good defenses hedging on screens, but completely unprepared for a team that switches 1-5 on defense on every screen.

This is one reason that I think integration of Natalie on the defensive end of the floor is looking a little less smooth - she is the one player that really cannot switch from a big to a guard or wing so when she is playing, they either play a traditional center oriented zone defense, or they switch to a hedge and recover defense when her man is involved in a screen. It is not that dissimilar to what the team did last year with Kiah Stokes, but Stokes could perform in a pinch out at the arc where Natalie cannot.
The UCONN switching has been a thing of beauty since the opening game of the season and has gotten better. It is decisive (no hesitation) often beating the ball handler to a spot. But the most amazing part is by switching teams would normally be giving up something but with UCONN switching results in no drop off in intensity and most of the time you have a better UCONN defender on you. Courtney has improved greatly but like Natalie she is slightly behind occasionally hesitating and at other times allowing the ball handler to turn the corner on the switch. Collier and KLS being longer striders are doing an mazing job of switching.

Reaction Score
#11 observation: Saniya and Kia's pony tails are so cute............

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The UCONN switching has been a thing of beauty since the opening game of the season and has gotten better. It is decisive (no hesitation) often beating the ball handler to a spot. But the most amazing part is by switching teams would normally be giving up something but with UCONN switching results in no drop off in intensity and most of the time you have a better UCONN defender on you. Courtney has improved greatly but like Natalie she is slightly behind occasionally hesitating and at other times allowing the ball handler to turn the corner on the switch. Collier and KLS being longer striders are doing an mazing job of switching.
And it isn't just on-ball switching, but is happening all over the court on cutters and back screens - not every time, but a lot of the time. It is why coaches always talk about being vocal because it all takes coordination.

Reaction Score
"Early on, Gabby makes a great move, and even though she misses the layup, it portends of a great, great future. By next year, she's going to be a talent on a whole other level"

I think we're all in agreement on Ms.Williams, as long as her "granny knees" her words not mine hold up. Gabby will be in beast mode her junior and senior years.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And Moriah's ?
In being honest and just a little sexist, this team has an incredible collection of lovely and charming young women. When they speak they are all so intelligent and forthright. Amazing. Proud to be a Husky fan. And I must say Morgan Tuck has the most beautiful eyes. Is this all too wrong for this thread?

Reaction Score
I think what you have written is widely felt by UCONN fans. In today's PC world I am sure there would be those who think the comments are inappropriate. It is a fine line between an honest expression of thought and feeling and being interpreted as sleazy. But since the negative comments have not yet started, lets celebrate being able to say how we really feel without fear of immediate rebuke.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Collier doesn't switch well... but she's a frosh

Reaction Score
What was not lovely and charming in the Memphis game was the UConn defense against the three when in a zone. Playing man-to-man, the starters allowed one make in eight attempts. When the starters switched to zone in the third quarter, Memphis was 2 for 3, all open shots. With more non-starters than starters on the court in the 3rd and 4th quarters, Memphis was 2 for 7. Overall, a zone defense allowed 4 makes out of 10 attempts for Memphis, a UConn defense that would rank about 350th out of the 344 D1 teams:rolleyes:. On the other hand, the allowed 1 for 8 playing man would rank first in D1 (UConn is presently 241 in three point defense). It appears the increased aggressiveness on defense improves three point defense when in a man-to-man, not so much when in a zone.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What was not lovely and charming in the Memphis game was the UConn defense against the three when in a zone. Playing man-to-man, the starters allowed one make in eight attempts. When the starters switched to zone in the third quarter, Memphis was 2 for 3, all open shots. With more non-starters than starters on the court in the 3rd and 4th quarters, Memphis was 2 for 7. Overall, a zone defense allowed 4 makes out of 10 attempts for Memphis, a UConn defense that would rank about 350th out of the 344 D1 teams:rolleyes:. On the other hand, the allowed 1 for 8 playing man would rank first in D1 (UConn is presently 241 in three point defense). It appears the increased aggressiveness on defense improves three point defense when in a man-to-man, not so much when in a zone.
The zone tends to be employed more often when Geno has called off the dogs of 'pressure' which allows an opponent to establish more of an offensive flow - the 7 of 8 misses in man were mostly wide open shots as well, just taken in hectic offensive sets without rhythm.
We tend to think the particular individual defense on a shot is what alters shooting percentage, but we are constantly bombarded with evidence that it isn't actually the case. Shooters get hot and cold all on their own and teams do as well. and one of the primary drivers of those cold spells for teams especially is the offensive rhythm they establish or fail to establish. A tightly guarded shot taken in rhythm is more likely to go in than a wide open shot taken out of rhythm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom