#10: 1998 - Sue Bird, 2016 - Molly Bent | The Boneyard

#10: 1998 - Sue Bird, 2016 - Molly Bent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
WEST HARTFORD, Conn. -- Molly Bent has wanted to meet Sue Bird for as long as she can remember. The recent visit by Bird and the WNBA's Seattle Storm to Connecticut gave the UConn women's basketball team's freshman the long-awaited opportunity.

Prior to facing the Connecticut Sun June 10 at Mohegan Sun Arena, the Storm held a practice at the Werth Family Champions Center in Storrs. Bent, already on campus taking summer classes, made her way over. It wasn't only to do some Bird watching, though. She also had a question for the three-time Olympic gold medalist and future Hall of Fame point guard.

Bent wore uniform No. 10 at Tabor Academy and wanted to keep it. No one has worn it at UConn since Bird graduated following her 2002 national Player of the Year season.

After hearing from associate head coach Chris Dailey, Bent made her move.

"When they practiced at Werth I had to ask Sue if I could wear it," Bent said. "CD texted me and said, 'It's tradition. You have to ask.' And Sue was really nice about it. I was a little nervous. She told CD afterwards that my face was red but I don't think it was. So I asked and she said to, 'Wear it proudly and do it proud.' It was nice."

You might also like to know:

Fellow freshmen Crystal Dangerfield and Kyla Irwin have decided what numbers they will wear. Dangerfield is taking No. 5 while Irwin will keep the No. 25 she wore at State College High in Pennsylvania.

MORE

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope #5 is luckier for Crystal Dangerfield than it was for CD2.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
So does that also mean that Kyla Irwin already got permission from Svetlana Abrosimova to wear #25?

(Or because 2 players since her have worn it - no need for permission?)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So does that also mean that Kyla Irwin already got permission from Svetlana Abrosimova to wear #25?

(Or because 2 players since her have worn it - no need for permission?)
I think that's the way it goes.

Mel Thomas and Michaela Johnson

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Before his charity golf tournament Monday, Auriemma was chatting about what he has seen from his players on and off the court this summer. He raved about Williams and Katie Lou Samuelson, he talked about health issues and the potential of his less experienced players.

But without prompting, he mentioned Bent.

"Not a lot of people value a kid like that, who knows you're open before you know you're open," Auriemma said. "That's a lost art."

Bent, Auriemma said, has a feel for the game.

Dangerfield, Bent Take Different Paths To Storrs, But Both Expect To Add To UConn's Legacy

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: Carl Adamec also reports that Lexi Gordon's lil' sis...a 2019'er I think...has received an offer from TCU...Mom and Pop
went there.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
BTW: Carl Adamec also reports that Lexi Gordon's lil' sis...a 2019'er I think...has received an offer from TCU...Mom and Pop
went there.
Lexi was offered by TCU as well, I believe. It will be interesting to see see how L'il Sis develops and where she goes. Storrs??

Reaction Score
WEST HARTFORD, Conn. -- Molly Bent has wanted to meet Sue Bird for as long as she can remember. The recent visit by Bird and the WNBA's Seattle Storm to Connecticut gave the UConn women's basketball team's freshman the long-awaited opportunity.

Prior to facing the Connecticut Sun June 10 at Mohegan Sun Arena, the Storm held a practice at the Werth Family Champions Center in Storrs. Bent, already on campus taking summer classes, made her way over. It wasn't only to do some Bird watching, though. She also had a question for the three-time Olympic gold medalist and future Hall of Fame point guard.

Bent wore uniform No. 10 at Tabor Academy and wanted to keep it. No one has worn it at UConn since Bird graduated following her 2002 national Player of the Year season.

After hearing from associate head coach Chris Dailey, Bent made her move.

"When they practiced at Werth I had to ask Sue if I could wear it," Bent said. "CD texted me and said, 'It's tradition. You have to ask.' And Sue was really nice about it. I was a little nervous. She told CD afterwards that my face was red but I don't think it was. So I asked and she said to, 'Wear it proudly and do it proud.' It was nice."

You might also like to know:

Fellow freshmen Crystal Dangerfield and Kyla Irwin have decided what numbers they will wear. Dangerfield is taking No. 5 while Irwin will keep the No. 25 she wore at State College High in Pennsylvania.

MORE

Thank you ever so much for this beautiful article about my Uconn love--Sue
Bird!! I guess I'll be called a cheater but MS Bent sound every bit a Sue like. When Sue said "do it proud" (her number) I thought --that's easy--don't allow your team to ever lose--make the tough 3/4ths court shot or buzzer beater --and if you make a mistake --steal the ball and make up for it in true Sue Bird methodology.
After reading Geno's kind word of Ms Bent--she could be, she should be, if Geno has his way she will be --I can't say it.
Thanks---loved this.
A thought on the 25 number--Svetlana wore that she did that number proud.

Reaction Score
I think that's the way it goes.

Mel Thomas and Michaela Johnson
I would think the last person wearing it would have to be asked. Certainly, I would think, Johnson would care less and Mel would like to have Ms Irwin be next in line to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom