#1 vs #1 | The Boneyard

#1 vs #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For anyone interested Monacan will be playing Paul IV on Saturday. It is a scrimmage but it is still a big game as Paul VI is ranked #1 in the country by many with several big name like Honesty Grayson and Amira Collins amongst others. Monacan has UConn signee Megan Walker who's ranked #1 by many and returns their entire group from last years state championship team. I will stream the game most likely on periscope. Details to follow.

Reaction Score
Game time is 12:30 you can view stream via periscope which is the same as twitter by searching or following @tinkbutler, if you don't have twitter/periscope there is a feed on nextsportsphenom.com which has a feed that should mirror the broadcast. I'll start at 12:00 testing the feed looking for comments on quality as I have a couple of microphone options. If there is a problem I will switch over to facebook in that case you will find the feed by searching the NSP TV homepage via facebook with no site mirroring.

Reaction Score
Disregard this was just brought to my attention:

Monacan coaches/administration will probably not allow that - there is a VHSL rule on this:

54-4-4 Scrimmage Purpose-Scrimmages are teaching situations at which coaches

are expected to interrupt the practice session to provide instruction from time to time. Prior

to any scrimmage the coach should outline the basic purposes and aims of the particular

scrimmage so that the players may receive the maximum training and practice from the

scrimmage. Principals responsible for a scrimmage shall observe the following guidelines,

except as permitted in 54-4-3:

(1) No public announcement of the scrimmage should be made and coverage by

the news media should be discouraged;

(2) No admission price shall be charged anyone for attendance at a scrimmage;

(3) Officials may be paid travel fees if applicable, but not game fees;

(4) Each school in a scrimmage shall be limited to no more than 1 1/2 times the

normal length of the contest (ex. football and basketball, 6 quarters; baseball, 10 1/2 innings);

(5) Except for those rules which have been modified by the provisions of this paragraph,

all League rules shall apply to scrimmages.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can't find anything on the Monacan, Paul VI, or MaxPreps sites. Meg tweeted yesterday that she had a big scrimmage today, but I don't see any after-the-fact info.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks! I finally got to watch it on my laptop. I had watched portions on my phone earlier. Several thoughts:

In terms of the scrimmage, it was different. They played 5 periods and reset the scoreboard to 0-0 for each. Megan sat out the 3rd and 5th. Here's the score by period:

1. Monacan 27-17, fast start
2. Paul VI 16-12
3. Paul VI 24-7, without Meg
4. Monacan 20-12
5. Paul VI 21-11, without Meg

With Meg: Monacan 59-45
Without Meg: Paul VI 45-18

As a reminder, Paul VI is ranked #1 in the nation.

Both teams have some decent players. Without announcers or a roster--too lazy to look it up--I wasn't sure who was who except for Meg. If I hadn't known who Meg was, it would have been easy to figure it out. She was the long, agile, fluid player who had the nice dribble and great body control and consistently made shots. She reminds me a little of a few players. In this video, she reminded me of a taller Kalana Greene before her injury. She has all the physical tools. Reminds me of Kalana, Maya, Diamond, and Ray Allen. Geno et al. will teach her some things and get her to play hard all the time. She definitely has Olympic potential. She looks like a college junior. Smoooooooth!

Meg's shots and highlights by period:

1. Won the tap! She can elevate. Made a 3 pointer, 2 pointer, steal, and 2 pointer. Missed a 3, steal, missed a 3. Missed a reverse layup, but was fouled and made both FTs. Just missed from half court at the buzzer. 9 points.

2. Missed a jumper, created a tie-up, missed a 3, missed an alley-oop on an inbounds pass. Made a beautiful turn-around jumper. Made a reverse layup and another layup in traffic. 6 points.

4. Made layup after the defense deflected a pass--good recovery. Great fake, but missed layup. Was fouled on the putback and made both FTs. Missed a 3. Made 3 pointer. Steal and fouled on jumper but no call. 7 points. Totaled 22 points in about 20-22 minutes.

Pros: Great athletic body. Very good handle with either hand. Moves well in either direction. Plays under control. Didn't force ANY shots. Smooth stroke and good percentage shooter. Made all her FTs and hit little to no iron. Willing and able passer. Has strength to easily throw baseball passes.

Cons: May need to hit the boards harder to help her team. May need to play harder and defend more, but that's true of almost every recruit. These will improve at UConn.

General impression, based on just a little experience of seeing 4 other Huskies in high school: Similar to Maya, but maybe not impacting the game as much with rebounding or blocks. Longer and more athletic than Kaleena and has a shot more like Maya. Not the volume shooter that Charde was and plays a more controlled game. Much more athletically fit. Much better scorer than De'Janae and plays harder.

Reaction Score
Thanks! I finally got to watch it on my laptop. I had watched portions on my phone earlier. Several thoughts:

In terms of the scrimmage, it was different. They played 5 periods and reset the scoreboard to 0-0 for each. Megan sat out the 3rd and 5th. Here's the score by period:

1. Monacan 27-17, fast start
2. Paul VI 16-12
3. Paul VI 24-7, without Meg
4. Monacan 20-12
5. Paul VI 21-11, without Meg

With Meg: Monacan 59-45
Without Meg: Paul VI 45-18

As a reminder, Paul VI is ranked #1 in the nation.

Both teams have some decent players. Without announcers or a roster--too lazy to look it up--I wasn't sure who was who except for Meg. If I hadn't known who Meg was, it would have been easy to figure it out. She was the long, agile, fluid player who had the nice dribble and great body control and consistently made shots. She reminds me a little of a few players. In this video, she reminded me of a taller Kalana Greene before her injury. She has all the physical tools. Reminds me of Kalana, Maya, Diamond, and Ray Allen. Geno et al. will teach her some things and get her to play hard all the time. She definitely has Olympic potential. She looks like a college junior. Smoooooooth!

Meg's shots and highlights by period:

1. Won the tap! She can elevate. Made a 3 pointer, 2 pointer, steal, and 2 pointer. Missed a 3, steal, missed a 3. Missed a reverse layup, but was fouled and made both FTs. Just missed from half court at the buzzer. 9 points.

2. Missed a jumper, created a tie-up, missed a 3, missed an alley-oop on an inbounds pass. Made a beautiful turn-around jumper. Made a reverse layup and another layup in traffic. 6 points.

4. Made layup after the defense deflected a pass--good recovery. Great fake, but missed layup. Was fouled on the putback and made both FTs. Missed a 3. Made 3 pointer. Steal and fouled on jumper but no call. 7 points. Totaled 22 points in about 20-22 minutes.

Pros: Great athletic body. Very good handle with either hand. Moves well in either direction. Plays under control. Didn't force ANY shots. Smooth stroke and good percentage shooter. Made all her FTs and hit little to no iron. Willing and able passer. Has strength to easily throw baseball passes.

Cons: May need to hit the boards harder to help her team. May need to play harder and defend more, but that's true of almost every recruit. These will improve at UConn.

General impression, based on just a little experience of seeing 4 other Huskies in high school: Similar to Maya, but maybe not impacting the game as much with rebounding or blocks. Longer and more athletic than Kaleena and has a shot more like Maya. Not the volume shooter that Charde was and plays a more controlled game. Much more athletically fit. Much better scorer than De'Janae and plays harder.

Thanks for the review and breakdown.

Paul VI

# Name Gr. Ht
1 Rayna Barbour Sr. 5-4
3 Honesty Grayson-Scott Jr. 5-10
10 Kaylah Henderson Sr. 5-4
10 Aurea Gingras Fr. 5-8
14 Valentina Diaz Sr. 5-7
15 Ashley Owusu So. 5-11
20 Jayla James So. 5-11
21 Whitney Garrett So. 5-9
23 Amira Collins Jr. 6-3
24 Kate Klimkiewicz Jr. 6-1
40 Mikayla Vaughn Sr. 6-4
44 Lauren Ebo Jr. 6-4

Monacan

Jasmine Norman (3)
Jaiden Morris (5)
Shalonda Wilkins (10)
Kaira Winston (11)
Abby Oguich (12)
Alex Parson (13)
Nyah Hall (15)
Ajah Alexander (21)
Haley Eiser (22)
Lindsay Estes (24)
Megan Walker (32)
Jadesia Fludd (33)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks for the review and breakdown.

Paul VI

# Name Gr. Ht
1 Rayna Barbour Sr. 5-4
3 Honesty Grayson-Scott Jr. 5-10
10 Kaylah Henderson Sr. 5-4
10 Aurea Gingras Fr. 5-8
14 Valentina Diaz Sr. 5-7
15 Ashley Owusu So. 5-11
20 Jayla James So. 5-11
21 Whitney Garrett So. 5-9
23 Amira Collins Jr. 6-3
24 Kate Klimkiewicz Jr. 6-1
40 Mikayla Vaughn Sr. 6-4
44 Lauren Ebo Jr. 6-4

Monacan

Jasmine Norman (3)
Jaiden Morris (5)
Shalonda Wilkins (10)
Kaira Winston (11)
Abby Oguich (12)
Alex Parson (13)
Nyah Hall (15)
Ajah Alexander (21)
Haley Eiser (22)
Lindsay Estes (24)
Megan Walker (32)
Jadesia Fludd (33)
Thanks. Collins stood out with an unorthodox FT form, but she looked like a decent player. James hit a nice jumper. Mostly, I watched Meg.

Are we still recruiting HSG?

Reaction Score
Thanks. Collins stood out with an unorthodox FT form, but she looked like a decent player. James hit a nice jumper. Mostly, I watched Meg.

Are we still recruiting HSG?
Of note Vaughn I believe is a Notre Dame commit. HSG is a top 5 ranked player, Owusu top 20 ranked player. I would have did the color commentary but after reading the rule I didn't attend the game but was sent video from Monacan. They have a couple of big games coming up against nationally ranked teams that I will stream and share with commentary. Stay tuned.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Of note Vaughn I believe is a Notre Dame commit. HSG is a top 5 ranked player, Owusu top 20 ranked player. I would have did the color commentary but after reading the rule I didn't attend the game but was sent video from Monacan. They have a couple of big games coming up against nationally ranked teams that I will stream and share with commentary. Stay tuned.
Thanks. I'll have some spare time in a week and will re-watch the scrimmage and focus on the Paul VI players. I live about 25 miles from the school, so I may take in a few games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interestingly, neither Vaughn (who IS a ND commit) nor HSG started the game.

Collins, at 6'3", jumped center. Megan outreached her by at least a few inches.

Reaction Score
Tune in around 7:15pm for two top 25 teams. #18 Monacan with UConn signee Megan Walker vs #7 National Christian Academy with Miami signee Myles Gray. Streaming will be the same as the top of the thread. I will offer some color commentary.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tune in around 7:15pm for two top 25 teams. #18 Monacan with UConn signee Megan Walker vs #7 National Christian Academy with Miami signee Myles Gray. Streaming will be the same as the top of the thread. I will offer some color commentary.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits