0-2, Where do we go from here? | The Boneyard

0-2, Where do we go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hopefully we see more urgency tonight and play with a lead for a chance. I'd like to see the below lineup to start:

PG - Adams
SG - Purvis
SF - Jackson
PF - Larrier
C - Brimah

• I've been just as frustrated with Purvis' play but I think it's more mental than physical. I think we need his experience on the court more than Gilbert's potential.
  • Gilbert will be a stud, but I think he needs to be used more as a spark off the bench like Kemba was his freshman year.
  • I didn't have high expectations for V. Jackson this season (seemed to lack athleticism) but I've been really impressed with the confidence and poise he plays with. I think he needs more minutes to make a bigger impact.
  • Larrier is our best pro prospect but he needs to improve his shot selection and look to get others involved more.
  • Adams can get his shot whenever he wants, he just needs to play a full 40 and better defense.
  • Brimah is who we thought he was...high motor on defensive end with freakish shot blocking ability (foul prone however), but lacks on the offensive end tremendously and never seems to be in position to rebound - if he can just block shots (stay out of foul trouble) and rebound, I think his mark on the game would be enough for us to be in the win column more than not.
  • Durham and Enoch should only see minutes if/when Brimah and Facey are in foul trouble. As much as we feel Brimah and Facey are underdeveloped, Durham/Enoch are nowhere near ready (obviously not as alarming considering they're underclassmen).
  • I expect Vital to see big minutes as a combo guard as he'll provide a similar spark off the bench like Gilbert.
I'm very interested to see what Ollie gets out of this team in the short term (tonight and Maui). As bad as these first 2 games have been, I think picking up a few W's in the next week will get this team it's confidence it needs!!!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
up-movie-poster-carl.jpg

Reaction Score
  • Enoch is our only physical presence. He is the only one in the post I am comfortable with us throwing to he just hasn't been able to land some shots but they will fall. We need that post scoring to open up some outside shots. Rather see Enoch than Facey. Look at Faceys travel last game, that was so bad and shows how far he's not a post player.
  • Purvis is who we thought he was, a streaky shooter who plays hard D but thats about it, he offers nothing else. Should not be starting- 1st off bench.
  • Adams needs to work on his left hand and shooting ability because teams will force him left or force him to shoot from the outside and even though he is capable he is clearly not confident in it.
  • Durham has played 3 minutes- not sure how you can gather any info from that.
  • We have been saying the same thing about Brimah for 4 years now, if he could just rebound, which he can't not sure why people think this will suddenly happen. He blocks shots and dunks.
  • Gilbert can dribble the basketball Purvis can't. Gilbert shot badly last game but had 4 steals, 5 rebounds and 3 assists. Keep him in the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
I think we are all on the same page. The only thing I would like too add would be to prep for this one with some strong alcoholic beverages on tap, that way we can be prepared for any outcome.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Larrier get out on the break more and Jackson trying to crash the defensive boards. Jackson isn't going to kill anyone in transition and Larrier is the only player 3-5 on this team that can do so.

Reaction Score
I remember when the first 5-10 games was a snooze in preparation for league play. Things have obviously changed and it's disturbing but exciting at the same time.

I've been down on Ollie but thinking back on JC (The Godfather of UconnMB) he chose Ollie for a reason. My optimism is thinking we are about to find out why.

Go Huskies 1-2

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
  • Purvis is who we thought he was, a streaky shooter who plays hard D but thats about it, he offers nothing else. Should not be starting- 1st off bench.
+1
Limit Rodney's minutes as much as possible

Reaction Score
Just when you think it can't get any worse, all hell breaks loose. Go Huskies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think we are all on the same page. The only thing I would like too add would be to prep for this one with some strong alcoholic beverages on tap, that way we can be prepared for any outcome.

Tonight is looking like a pitcher of Manhattans type of game.

Reaction Score
Tonight's lineup: your lineup with 1 change: Gilbert is starting and Purvis to bench. At least that was the report yesterday.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
  • Enoch is our only physical presence. He is the only one in the post I am comfortable with us throwing to he just hasn't been able to land some shots but they will fall. We need that post scoring to open up some outside shots. Rather see Enoch than Facey. Look at Faceys travel last game, that was so bad and shows how far he's not a post player.
  • Adams needs to work on his left hand and shooting ability because teams will force him left or force him to shoot from the outside and even though he is capable he is clearly not confident in it.
  • Durham has played 3 minutes- not sure how you can gather any info from that.
  • We have been saying the same thing about Brimah for 4 years now, if he could just rebound, which he can't not sure why people think this will suddenly happen. He blocks shots and dunks.
  • Gilbert can dribble the basketball Purvis can't. Gilbert shot badly last game but had 4 steals, 5 rebounds and 3 assists. Keep him in the starting lineup.

Enoch is so out of position on defense that Ollie has a hard time keeping him on the court.

Reaction Score
I wonder when people will realize how far behind Enoch is as a player at this level... but regardless I'm curious who starts? If we see facey again Ollie has learned nothing, if we start posting up our inept bigs I'll be calling for his head by half. There is nothing to be excited about a game that should have been a gimmie and the fact we will be 1-2 even if things break right, marching into maui to play an all American from the big 12... what a sucky start to college hoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom