“If we turn the ball over, we’ll just run it every play | The Boneyard

“If we turn the ball over, we’ll just run it every play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“If we turn the ball over, we’ll just run it every play, I’m serious,” he said. “You can’t win the game if you turn it over.”
I get the fact it's a team game BUT if you have a left tackle who is missing blocks which creates a turn over which leads to a score. Why does the whole offensive play calling get thrown out the window?? I am sure coach has a good reason why but as a fan, I see it as throwing in the towel and losing a game to make a point. I agree with Matt Schonvisky- "Coaching – F – I don’t understand the play calling and never will. Down 14-7 in the fourth quarter, backed up in your own end or not, three straight runs, especially on 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 8 are incomprehensible." I don't get it either. I don't want to sound negative, I understand the up hill climb this program faces, but so far I have seen 3 home scrimmage games and 1 thrown away, away game. As a 14 year season ticket holder maybe I should take a similar attitude and approach about buying tickets for the next 3 years. If your going to throw away games, I'll just keep my $1,400.00 a year and give up my seats, I'm serious. You can't fill the Rent if you throw away games.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
“If we turn the ball over, we’ll just run it every play, I’m serious,” he said. “You can’t win the game if you turn it over.”
I get the fact it's a team game BUT if you have a left tackle who is missing blocks which creates a turn over which leads to a score. Why does the whole offensive play calling get thrown out the window?? I am sure coach has a good reason why but as a fan, I see it as throwing in the towel and losing a game to make a point. I agree with Matt Schonvisky- "Coaching – F – I don’t understand the play calling and never will. Down 14-7 in the fourth quarter, backed up in your own end or not, three straight runs, especially on 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 8 are incomprehensible." I don't get it either. I don't want to sound negative, I understand the up hill climb this program faces, but so far I have seen 3 home scrimmage games and 1 thrown away, away game. As a 14 year season ticket holder maybe I should take a similar attitude and approach about buying tickets for the next 3 years. If your going to throw away games, I'll just keep my $1,400.00 a year and give up my seats, I'm serious. You can't fill the Rent if you throw away games.

For clarification on your rant, Diaco said it was the RB Johnson who missed the blitzing player who blind sided Whitmer.

Reaction Score
Not my thought but a great follow up.

So if a running back fumbled he would have abandoned the running game to prevent turn overs?

Really, WTF?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't think I could disagree any more with this sentiment than I do. I love Diaco's energy, enthusiasm and commitment to UCONN and I do believe in him that he will turn this program around. But man, I disagree with "if we turn it over, we will run every play" with every ounce of football fan fiber that I have in my body (and I'm a guy who likes our running game tradition). We might as well switch to a triple option offense and try to confuse defenses that way.

Reaction Score
For clarification on your rant, Diaco said it was the RB Johnson who missed the blitzing player who blind sided Whitmer.

It was pretty clear it was either a TE or backfield failure, the OL was tripping over themselves to handle a stunt, but at least they got in the way.

just hope that Diaco and his staff really are good enough coaches to get multiple freshmen and sophomores up to speed on playing football at division 1, at various positions, like RB, FB, TE, OG, OT, all at the same time with divided reps.......because it sure as hell, is easier in my world, to get 1 freshmen or sophomore up to speed, during the season, with weekly practices, and have a traditional backup plan in place, with limited practice reps and lots of film room.

So far, I'm not overly impressed through 1/4 of the season. 3/4's to go. Lots of room to improve, and goals to reach. I will be incredibly impressed, if they are able to develop all of them through season end.

The silver lining, is that in the next 7 weeks, we have only 3 games, so there will be ample, AMPLE, practice time, to run another 2 or 3 basic training camp weeks in fundamentals.

Need a win against Temple

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

So if a running back fumbled he would have abandoned the running game to prevent turn overs?

Really, WTF?

Good point -
It happened the first three games but not to the point where HCBD need to Shut It Down -
Thats why I believe there is more to this.

And then to top it off how do we close the gap and give ourselves a chance at victory? Passing the ball.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I think it's just a message being sent to the players to hold on to the damn ball (or block so your QB can hold on to it). Can't run a real offense until you take care of the ball etc.

At this point everything that can be said about this topic has been said. It's clear what the game plan is this season - do everything they can to be ready to go bowling next season. If that means the entire season's worth of practices needs to be spent on fundamentals of the game then so be it.

I understand it (and probably even agree with it in a vacuum) and think a bowl this season was likely out of reach but that doesn't make it any less frustrating on a week to week basis. It's tough to swallow long term plans as a fan. Must be even tougher for the players, particularly the seniors. It's likely going to cause some season ticket holders to choose not to renew next year but if it means we go 7-5 or 8-4 next year they'll all come back and then some.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score

Really, WTF?
Yeah, but they can usually swap out the back for the next in line. As has happened in the past in many places.

It's pretty well documented that we can't swap out the line.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
A thought occurred to me just now that I don't know if it's been brought up or not, but what if Diaco was doing/saying this kind of stuff to divert some of the spotlight off of his players and put it on himself? The hope, obviously, would be that the fans' ire would be directed at the coach and not the mistakes that the players are making on the field. Certainly wouldn't be the first time a head coach has done something like that.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We actually have more fumbles than interceptions, so he doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
We actually have more fumbles than interceptions, so he doesn't make sense.

half the fumbles have been on passing plays.

Still fumbles.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member