“Final” Scholarship for 2022 - your guess… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

“Final” Scholarship for 2022 - your guess…

Guess who we fill the “final” spot with

• Grad transfer

• Undergrad transfer

• 2022 HS recruit

• 2023 reclass

• We don’t fill it

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Well isn't that how all recruits are? Unknowns. In this new recruiting landscape we are going to have to give top 100 recruits time on the floor or we will lose them. It is very hard to get any decent big grad transfer that is going to want to come in for limited minutes or the hope that are starter is injured. We are just going to have to hope for the best as far as injuries and development of our bigs.

A kid who played for a crappy public high school and a middling AAU team that didn't play the best competition is more of an uknown than most. He's a weird prospect... absolutely monster, with some flashes of shooting and passing skill, but his athleticism and ability to adjust to high levels of competition is a huge unknown.

Compare him to Adam coming out of high school. They had a similar ranking. Adama played against top-notch competition all year long. We knew exactly what he was capable of at a high high school level, and had a good sense of his abilities at the next level, even if we're not 100% sure.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
but if we play a small ball starting lineup then it looks like joey C could average ~10 mpg on the year and that's not dependent on anyone ahead of him on the depth chart getting hurt. i dont want a grad taking a combined ~10 mpg from samson/clingan when that's all the time we'll have available for sanogo's backup to begin with, especially against softer competition at the beginning of the year.

if sanogo goes down during the OOC schedule then we'd have to make up for those Ls during BE play. if sanogo goes down during BE play...oh well. just have to hope samson/clingan can help keep us afloat until he gets back for the big dance. and if sanogo has a season ending injury then i'll see you in 2023.
I guess it depends on how the staff views springs / Johnson. If they think that defensively they can play the 5, then you’re right we probably don’t need a 5th center on the roster.

Was a little surprised of the Joey C transfer because we were 2 deep already at every spot 1-3… 3 deep 1-3 if Johnson and springs will be getting the bulk of their minutes at the 4.

Reaction Score
I’m aware. Just a guess.
Nothing better on social media than watching a walk-on getting a scholarship offer.
If he earns it in the fall and there are 2 open, I say go for it. Good publicity and goodwill to South Kent.
Weren’t we told of a deadline for the last addition for next year which is coming up fast and I think they probably will keep the last one open

Reaction Score
I guess it depends on how the staff views springs / Johnson. If they think that defensively they can play the 5, then you’re right we probably don’t need a 5th center on the roster.

Was a little surprised of the Joey C transfer because we were 2 deep already at every spot 1-3… 3 deep 1-3 if Johnson and springs will be getting the bulk of their minutes at the 4.
i was too but it must mean hurley is committed to starting AJ at the 4 and/or at least playing small ball for half the game. but i dont see anymore time for anyone. barely any for clingan and none for springs as it is.

Newton 30 - Diarra 10
Alleyne 25 - Calcaterra 10 - Diarra 5
Hawk 30 - Jackson 10
Jackson 20 - Karaban 15 - Samson 5
Sanogo 30 - Samson 5 - Clingan 5

Reaction Score
I doubt we get someone who is willing to ride the bench but would play over Samson, Springs, or Clingan if Adama is out. I think we are fine at the 5.

Reaction Score
I know this is tcf’s thing, but here’s a roster refresher to see where someone new would fit it, depending on class.

Joey Calcaterra
*Nahiem Alleyne
*Tristen Newton

*Hassan Diarra
*Andre Jackson
*Adama Sanogo
*Richie Springs

Jordan Hawkins
Samson Johnson

Donovan Clingan
Alex Karaban

———————

Stephon Castle
Jayden Ross

Only Joey has to go. Nahiem and Tristen are in their fourth year. Any one of Andre, Adama, Richie, and Jordan could also go. Keep recruiting and work it out later.

* means has an extra year, if he wants it

Reaction Score
I know this is tcf’s thing, but here’s a roster refresher to see where someone new would fit it, depending on class.

Joey Calcaterra
*Nahiem Alleyne
*Tristen Newton

*Hassan Diarra
*Andre Jackson
*Adama Sanogo
*Richie Springs

Jordan Hawkins
Samson Johnson

Donovan Clingan
Alex Karaban

———————

Stephon Castle
Jayden Ross

Only Joey has to go. Nahiem and Tristen are in their fourth year. Any one of Andre, Adama, Richie, and Jordan could also go. Keep recruiting and work it out later.

* means has an extra year, if he wants it
Doesn't count if it's not in grid format!

Reaction Score

Karaban will playing the 4 so not sure how we are 2 deep everywhere from 1-3. Jackson will be playing the 3-4 with Joey C. as his backup at the 3 then you have Hawkins and Alleyne at the 2, while you have Newton and Diarra at the 1. I just see 2 deep everywhere. Karaban and Johnson will be fighting for minutes at the 4. Sanogo and Clinigan at the Center,. Spring just extra security for our bigs.

Reaction Score
Karaban will playing the 4 so not sure how we are 2 deep everywhere from 1-3. Jackson will be playing the 3-4 with Joey C. as his backup at the 3 then you have Hawkins and Alleyne at the 2, while you have Newton and Diarra at the 1. I just see 2 deep everywhere. Karaban and Johnson will be fighting for minutes at the 4. Sanogo and Clinigan at the Center,. Spring just extra security for our bigs.
Not sure Joey is a 3. Positions don’t matter that much but defensively, he’d get killed against any decent 3. If he’s on the court, Hawkins or Alleyne would more likely be the 3 with Joey as the 2.

Reaction Score
Not sure Joey is a 3. Positions don’t matter that much but defensively, he’d get killed against any decent 3. If he’s on the court, Hawkins or Alleyne would more likely be the 3 with Joey as the 2.
Wouldn't a 2 be a bad matchup with quickness too. Normally 2s are the best athletes on some teams. Either way yeah I was just saying he will be one our wings 2-3. They are all interchangeable which makes this team interesting unlike this past year's team.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't a 2 be a bad matchup with quickness too. Normally 2s are the best athletes on some teams. Either way yeah I was just saying he will be one our wings 2-3. They are all interchangeable which makes this team interesting unlike this past year's team.
Yeah...he will struggle defensively regardless but don't see him playing much other than when we need a bit of a shooting punch in the arm. Probably will end up averaging 10-12 mpg.

Reaction Score
I was going to say the same thing and scouring the portal, there are dozens of depth bigs available who would be coming in less for playing time but more to be mostly a practice player and an opportunity to be part of a more competitive program.

Not a grad transfer, but I'm low-key interested in signing 7'0 230 junior Justin Vander Baan out of BC. He's only played limited minutes (about 100 career minutes) but was a former three-star recruit and grew up just 50 miles from campus at Northbridge, MA.

IF he's interested in joining in as a mostly practice guy, he's be a heck of an add to compete against Sanogo and Clingan for the next two to three seasons.
Northbridge is literally 2 towns away.. How have I not heard of this gentleman?

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Do we really think Hurley is going to play them 10 deep? I know the roster is different but I doubt it based on prior years. I'm also less than confident he will wheel out the new players for the cupcakes. Hope to be wrong.

Reaction Score
Northbridge is literally 2 towns away.. How have I not heard of this gentleman?
He played for Whitinsville Christian, which is a very small school and out of the spotlight. Did pretty well there because he was way taller than anyone he played against. Wasn't a big name on the AAU circuit. Don't think he's someone UConn should want.

Reaction Score
He played for Whitinsville Christian, which is a very small school and out of the spotlight. Did pretty well there because he was way taller than anyone he played against. Wasn't a big name on the AAU circuit. Don't think he's someone UConn should want.
Ah yes, okay. I know of the school. I coached in the SWCL a few years ago, anyone decent around here just goes to prep as soon as possible.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Save it to offer to that preferred walk-on once he proves himself.

Reaction Score
We have 2 left, technically, but 1 is being held back for a mid-year reclass.

Staff said they want to have the final roster spot filled by end of month. The most recent 2022 commit came out of nowhere (Joey C).

Curious what everyone thinks the staff will do with the final 2022 spot…

Brandon Williams is a name that popped up. I'd never heard of him, and I'm not even sure he's a 22 or 23 recruit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom