‘Show the world what we can do’: How UConn women’s basketball is regrouping for 2022-23 | The Boneyard

‘Show the world what we can do’: How UConn women’s basketball is regrouping for 2022-23

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Isuneh “Ice” Brady, Amari DeBerry, Caroline Ducharme and Aubrey Griffin were on the court with Bueckers when she suffered the injury in a pickup game.

Ducharme and DeBerry drove her to get the MRI that evening.

Nika Mühl and Dorka Juhász were back home overseas ... “It was I think 5 a.m.,” Mühl said. “I just literally started crying. I was like bawling my eyes out.

Mühl said. “But if we didn’t go through what we went through last year and we heard the news, it would be 10 times harder.

Bueckers said the duo had a conversation about what Mühl’s new role will look like and how they can help one another with the transition. Mühl was already focused on improving her offensive game this offseason but said she took her workouts to another level of intensity after receiving news of the injury.

“And J [assistant coach Jamelle Elliott] said that the other day. She was like, ‘With Paige out, did that even cross your mind, like that you might have to be backup point guard?’ And I was like, ‘No, it did not cross my mind. But I’m ready for it.’ I like a good challenge.”

Ducharme said. “But I think it helps us this year that we have all summer, we have all fall, we have the preseason to kind of adjust and figure out what our new identity is gonna be.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Caroline said it best and it's the whole teams attitude that they will overcome this latest blow to the year ahead. "Win one for the Gipper" is a famous quote. WIN ONE FOR PAIGE will be the mantra this year. Paige will be their biggest rooter and they are going to play some of the best basketball they have ever played before. I said all last year that they were destined to win no.12 and did not make it by one game. This year they have a greater goal to accomplish and I believe that this is their destiny for 22-23 season. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score

Isuneh “Ice” Brady, Amari DeBerry, Caroline Ducharme and Aubrey Griffin were on the court with Bueckers when she suffered the injury in a pickup game.

Ducharme and DeBerry drove her to get the MRI that evening.

Nika Mühl and Dorka Juhász were back home overseas ... “It was I think 5 a.m.,” Mühl said. “I just literally started crying. I was like bawling my eyes out.

Mühl said. “But if we didn’t go through what we went through last year and we heard the news, it would be 10 times harder.

Bueckers said the duo had a conversation about what Mühl’s new role will look like and how they can help one another with the transition. Mühl was already focused on improving her offensive game this offseason but said she took her workouts to another level of intensity after receiving news of the injury.

“And J [assistant coach Jamelle Elliott] said that the other day. She was like, ‘With Paige out, did that even cross your mind, like that you might have to be backup point guard?’ And I was like, ‘No, it did not cross my mind. But I’m ready for it.’ I like a good challenge.”

Ducharme said. “But I think it helps us this year that we have all summer, we have all fall, we have the preseason to kind of adjust and figure out what our new identity is gonna be.”
I really always like Nika Muhl, now it's love pure love. Crying her eyes out?/ That is special for a special player on a special team. They truly ARE a TEAM/Family

Reaction Score
I really always like Nika Muhl, now it's love pure love. Crying her eyes out?/ That is special for a special player on a special team. They truly ARE a TEAM/Family
I have followed this program for decades and as with most of us have always felt the level of sisterhood/family of Uconn wcbb is unique and special. I would guess fans of other programs might feel similarly about 'their team' but I really feel our women share an unusual bond not just with their own group of teammates and coaches but with the broader 'Uconn wcbb family'. Some may say that it is simply because of the longevity of greatness of the program that we hear this about Uconn and that it is not unique among other wcbb squads - I'm not really buying that though. Geno and CD (along with the rest of the coaching staff) have always, while pushing their players to realize their highest potential on the court, have as importantly stressed becoming their best versions of themselves as people. Their has always just been a truly caring family sense that goes way beyond what happens on the court and continues well beyond their active playing time at Uconn.

This particular group of players to me, perhaps because their time together began during the pandemic when they were cloistered together 24/7, is unique even within this program in the depth of caring for each other. I believe every one of them truly puts the team - their family - in front of themselves. It appears their love and support for each other is as deep it can possibly be.

I think Nika is a widow into the intensity and depth of the special bonds this team shares. She is not unique among her teammates in terms of her depth of commitment, caring and passion, but is most definitely an open book emotionally, that is unique in the freedom in which she shows it. Her chest bumps, her crying her eyes out at the news of Paige's ACL injury, her quote last year that 'we are going through hell', her inability to even look at Geno as he let into her on the bench freshman year, and her shear joy for anything positive that her teammates do on the court are all pure Nika but emblematic of the truly caring family she is a part of.

What a wonderful group of young women we have the pleasure of supporting. One thing we can be sure of is that each and every one of them will play their hearts out this season with Paige leading the cheering with a bit coaching on the side on their quest for #12.

Reaction Score
12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12

Reaction Score
I have followed this program for decades and as with most of us have always felt the level of sisterhood/family of Uconn wcbb is unique and special. I would guess fans of other programs might feel similarly about 'their team' but I really feel our women share an unusual bond not just with their own group of teammates and coaches but with the broader 'Uconn wcbb family'. Some may say that it is simply because of the longevity of greatness of the program that we hear this about Uconn and that it is not unique among other wcbb squads - I'm not really buying that though. Geno and CD (along with the rest of the coaching staff) have always, while pushing their players to realize their highest potential on the court, have as importantly stressed becoming their best versions of themselves as people. Their has always just been a truly caring family sense that goes way beyond what happens on the court and continues well beyond their active playing time at Uconn.

This particular group of players to me, perhaps because their time together began during the pandemic when they were cloistered together 24/7, is unique even within this program in the depth of caring for each other. I believe every one of them truly puts the team - their family - in front of themselves. It appears their love and support for each other is as deep it can possibly be.

I think Nika is a widow into the intensity and depth of the special bonds this team shares. She is not unique among her teammates in terms of her depth of commitment, caring and passion, but is most definitely an open book emotionally, that is unique in the freedom in which she shows it. Her chest bumps, her crying her eyes out at the news of Paige's ACL injury, her quote last year that 'we are going through hell', her inability to even look at Geno as he let into her on the bench freshman year, and her shear joy for anything positive that her teammates do on the court are all pure Nika but emblematic of the truly caring family she is a part of.

What a wonderful group of young women we have the pleasure of supporting. One thing we can be sure of is that each and every one of them will play their hearts out this season with Paige leading the cheering with a bit coaching on the side on their quest for #12.
I followed the Men from the 60's old Yankee Conf. great basketball. Hard 2 by 10 plank seats. The women, upon my return to Storrs, abt 95, I haven't left them since.
The Geno program is UNIQUE. Mostly because of Geno. He selected Christine and made her ASSOCIATE Coach--not ASSISTANT--Unique in Basketball. With Christine handling all the Post players (at first) then creating and running Christines "Finishing School". The program became CLASS lots of CLASS. Chiristine is every Geno couldn't be, and visa versa.
I have said and written negatives about Geno. He was not god or a god, he was just a man doing wonderful things with basketball. My first image of him was at the Capitol steps on a Championship promising to be back next year-I cringed, he didn't make it. The next was him saying we don't have women or ladies basketball player --we have BASKETBALL Players. To Geno Basketball was basketball regardless of the gender playing .
He chartered planes after running for years on a bus. His young women went first class in hotels, shows on broadway, traveling, eating great food. Unique.
Other teams may do it other team may win. But no one will ever surpass Geno on being GENO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom